Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Can my employer "hear" my SKYPE phone calls

Can my employer "hear" my SKYPE phone calls

Christian 'CeeJay' Jensen

Ivor Jones wrote:
> "Christian 'CeeJay' Jensen" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote in message
> news:44bf61c0$0$84018$(E-Mail Removed) k
>> Ivor Jones wrote:
>>> "Susan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:6ht7omr4mzik.1uvihp4emtutz$(E-Mail Removed)
>>>
>>> [snip]

>>> No, but if you are using work equipment for personal
>>> use then they would have every right to do so.

>>> Then don't use work equipment.
>>>
>>> Ivor

>> Wow Ivor - that's some attitude .. What sort of police
>> state do you live in ?

> One where using company equipment for personal use is not generally
> accepted. Would you like it if I came round to your place and used your
> system for my own use without asking..?

That not an apples to apples comparison.
Come up with a better analogy if you want to use this kind of reasoning.

> If a company provides you with computer equipment they do so in order that
> you can do your job, not so you can waste company time on the net.

I'd like to offer you a different point of view :

Treat your employees right and they will in turn treat you right.
... I think the bible was first on that one though .. "Do unto others as you
would have them do unto you"

Creating a workenvironment where workers feel constantly watched and measured
, untrusted and uncared for , leads to unhappy workers.
Unhappy workers leads to decreased productivity , decreased service and more
sickdays .. and THAT costs money.

Rick Merrill

Christian 'CeeJay' Jensen wrote:

>>Laws not withstanding employers have the right to take steps to prevent
>>theft. Theft of bandwidth is no different than theft of paperclips. If
>>this is a real concern, I would suggest the OP go to a coffee shop w/ Wifi
>>during lunch.

> Considering that almost all broadband connection cost a fixed amount each
> month, more bandwidth use doesn't not equal more money spent.
>
> And since there is no loss of money there can be no theft.

No, it's called 'theft of service.'

Susan

>>Explain please. Skype calls are supposed to be encrypted, so how would your
>>"Yes" make sense if this is the case? Decryption would take place on the
>>system the program is running...

> If I were an IT admin and noticed unexplained traffic, I might be
> tempted to monitor the traffic.
>
> If it is, in fact, encrypted (I believe Skype is, but I'm not a user so
> I don't know or care), I'd simply monitor the PC itself.
>
> If it looked like VoIP traffic, installing something to monitor the
> microphone and speakers and check the times when I saw the unexplained
> traffic would quickly identify whether it's VoIP or not.

Oh good. I think you are saying my SKYPE calls are protected because they
use some kind of security between the two SKYPE programs.

Does that mean that even if my employer saved all the VOIP communication
between the two of us, that they would not have the "security key" to
actually listen to the words we spoke?

Is that what you are saying?
Susan

Craig

Susan;

Fwiw, Skype has an extensive security page complete with a section for
network admins. The text is pretty clear and concise.

http://www.skype.com/security/

hth,
-Craig

pagesofdave@yahoo.com

Susan wrote:
<snip>

> I have a, shall we just say, long-distance relationship, with a certain
> someone in the company who is far away. Due to time-zone and family
> matters, I can ONLY call this certain someone during the day. My phone
> bills are monitored by a certain domestic someone at home. And, of course,
> at work, I couldn't use the telephone as it's not business related.

<snip>

> Please advise me as this is a personal matter all mixed up with work and
> the need to remain private.
>
> Thank you very much for your advice
> Susan

If you're going to talk about hiding an affair while at work don't use
the same email address you use to post a job bulletin with.

Two click in Google Groups yields a lot of information and someone
could decide to impose their moral code on you and give Livingston
Enterprises a call.

Years ago I had two co-workers caught doing something just like this.
The IT people said it was "nothing big" to monitor their machines once
they noticed a lot of traffic.

Do what the terrorists do. Go to Target and buy a prepaid cell phone
with cash.

Gary R. Schmidt

Susan wrote:

>>>Explain please. Skype calls are supposed to be encrypted, so how would your
>>>"Yes" make sense if this is the case? Decryption would take place on the
>>>system the program is running...

>>If I were an IT admin and noticed unexplained traffic, I might be
>>tempted to monitor the traffic.
>>
>>If it is, in fact, encrypted (I believe Skype is, but I'm not a user so
>>I don't know or care), I'd simply monitor the PC itself.
>>
>>If it looked like VoIP traffic, installing something to monitor the
>>microphone and speakers and check the times when I saw the unexplained
>>traffic would quickly identify whether it's VoIP or not.

> Oh good. I think you are saying my SKYPE calls are protected because they
> use some kind of security between the two SKYPE programs.
>
> Does that mean that even if my employer saved all the VOIP communication
> between the two of us, that they would not have the "security key" to
> actually listen to the words we spoke?
>
> Is that what you are saying?

He may well be saying that, but a mob in China, IIRC, recently broke the
Skype encryption, so it's not secure anymore.

Also, as a BOFH and PABX tech, I have been required to track usage of
both the 'net and the 'phone. The 'net is just like the 'phone, at
work, you often get to use it for a limited amount of personal stuff,
but not freely. If a user starts chewing up "too much" bandwidth/making
"too many" or "too long" calls, I would know about it, and so would that
staffers manager.

You'd be better off paying cash (untraceable) for a pre-paid mobile SIM
card (untraceable), and stashing that in your desk, changing it over in
your mobile when you wanted a chat.

Cheers,
Gary B-)

whether you were up them with or not
- Barry Humphries

Al Klein

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 22:32:29 GMT, Susan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Oh good. I think you are saying my SKYPE calls are protected because they
>use some kind of security between the two SKYPE programs.

>Does that mean that even if my employer saved all the VOIP communication
>between the two of us, that they would not have the "security key" to
>actually listen to the words we spoke?

Only if all they did was monitor the internet packets going to and
from your computer. If they recorded the audio going in and out of
your sound card (a trivial thing) they'd have completely
understandable recordings of your calls.
--
http://www.webdingers.com/filelist.html

TwistyCreek

If your employer is the nsa, yes, they can hear everything.

If your " long distance friend " is hezbollah, yes, the nsa can hear
everything.

If you have any association whatever with radical liberal groups, yes,
the nsa, homeland, interpol, cia, everybody can hear everything.

Any questions?

Kenny G.
---

In news:6ht7omr4mzik.1uvihp4emtutz$(E-Mail Removed),
Susan <(E-Mail Removed)> had this to say:
>Can my employer "hear" my SKYPE phone calls?
>Can SKYPE be my answer to the privacy I desperately need?
>
>I have a, shall we just say, long-distance relationship, with a certain
>someone in the company who is far away. Due to time-zone and family
>matters, I can ONLY call this certain someone during the day. My phone
>bills are monitored by a certain domestic someone at home. And, of course,
>at work, I couldn't use the telephone as it's not business related.
>
>What about SKYPE?
>Can SKYPE be my answer to privacy?
>
>I already plugged in a microphone and headphone and I noticed SKYPE calls
>to my friend show up as a phone number of 000012345 so I can converse with
>my friend.
>
>But my question is what can my employer "tell" about that connection?
>Can they "hear" my SKYPE phone calls if they wanted to?
>Do employers typically "listen" to this type of activity?
>
>Please advise me as this is a personal matter all mixed up with work and
>the need to remain private.
>
>Thank you very much for your advice
>Susan

Jonathan Roberts

"Christian 'CeeJay' Jensen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:44bfe910$0$84034$(E-Mail Removed) k...
> > Laws not withstanding employers have the right to take steps to prevent
> > theft. Theft of bandwidth is no different than theft of paperclips. If
> > this is a real concern, I would suggest the OP go to a coffee shop w/

Wifi
> > during lunch.

> Considering that almost all broadband connection cost a fixed amount each
> month, more bandwidth use doesn't not equal more money spent.
>
> And since there is no loss of money there can be no theft.

Point taken. She did say she was an employee, not a volunteer however; so
we're back to theft -- of time and wages.

Jonathan Roberts

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

> Do what the terrorists do. Go to Target and buy a prepaid cell phone
> with cash.

LOL, this could be the funniest thing I have seen in a while. Sad but
true...