Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > [Fwd: Steve Bass [Quick & Easy Free Internet Calls - 07/19/2006]]

[Fwd: Steve Bass [Quick & Easy Free Internet Calls - 07/19/2006]]

F Thomas

A real skype competitor ?

I tried the free trial, and the speech quality landline-IP-landline heer
in France was better than skype's

If you use an e-mail "whitelist" system or if your ISP uses such a
filter, in order to insure that you receive your PC World newsletters
you may find it necessary to add them to your "whitelist." For
information about how to do that, please consult our "How to
Whitelist" tips:
http://www.pcworld.com/resource/news...urces/help.asp

Steve Bass's Tips and Tweaks
July 19th, 2006
proudly presented by
PC World
Technology Advice You Can Trust
http://www.pcworld.com

PC World columnist Steve Bass writes weekly commentary on the
technology products he loves, the strategies for getting the most out
of them, and the gotchas that can cause computing misery.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=|advertisement|=-=-=

PCWorld's Digital Duo

Watch Digital Duo episodes on the web. Get all the reviews on the
hotest new products direct from the experts. Digital Cameras, PDA's,
Digital MP3 players & more!

http://www.pcworld.com/digitalduo/vi...gid,193,00.asp

July 19th, 2006

* This week: Quick & Easy Free Internet Calls

Adios, Skype. I'm using Jajah to make free long-distance calls over
the Internet using my old-fashioned landline and trusty old phone.
That's right: no headset or mike, no software, and definitely no
hassle. And I'm loving it.

A Quick How-To

Here's the quick and dirty:

1. Register with Jajah. It's free and all you do is give them the
number for any of your landlines and, if you want, your cell phone.
Get the details here:
http://www.jajah.com/content/freecalls.aspx

2. Any time you want to make a call, open your browser, go to Jajah's
home page, and log in. Fill out the "My Friend's Phone Number" section
and click the aptly named Call button.

3. Your landline phone rings. Pick it up and you'll hear Jajah
announce that it's calling your buddy's number, then you're connected.

4. Talk. If your buddy is registered with Jajah, it's a free call;
otherwise, it's 2.5 cents per minute in U.S. and Canada. International
calls are slightly more expensive. Here are the details:
http://www.jajah.com/info/rates

5. Try it: Before you register, the first 5 minutes are free. Even
after registering, you can use Jajah without paying: You start off
with a credit of $3.

6. There's no contract or fee--just pay for the calls you make.

7. There's no muss, fuss, or hassle because there's nothing to
download or install. You don't need a headset, a microphone, or any
extra equipment.

8. You can use smart Microsoft Outlook and Mozilla Firefox plug-ins to
call right from those apps.

Here's the Outlook plug-in:
http://www.jajah.com/info/tools/outlook.aspx

And here's one for Firefox:
http://www.jajah.com/info/tools/firefox.aspx

Dig This: Maybe you've heard of a "summer halo." How about a "fire
rainbow" or a "circumhorizon arc"? You need to brush up on your
science. Here's a site with a gorgeous picture and a good explanation
[thanks to Steven H.]:
http://www.sundog.clara.co.uk/halo/cha.htm

If you think that's a doctored image, you're wrong. And the Urban
Legends site provides the proof:
http://www.snopes.com/photos/natural/firerainbow.asp

Why I Love Jajah

I think this is just the coolest way there is to make long-distance
calls. About the only disadvantage is that you need access to a PC and
Web browser to make the call. When I'm traveling, I use my cell phone
and notebook from, say, the hotel room or a wireless connection at the
airport. (I know what you're thinking: What about an unlimited calling
plan for my cell phone? Jajah is perfect for me because I'm so cheap,
I still pay by the minute.)

If you want to get fancy (and I know you do), you can schedule calls
in advance:
http://www.jajah.com/info/help/faq/scheduledcalls.aspx

I recently mentioned Jajah to Gavin B., a reader from Toronto. Here's
what he said: "I'm in Canada (not a complaint, just a fact) and my
daughter lives in Australia. I can talk to her for 2 1/2 cents US per
minute--over four hours for $7 US! Astounding! Just last week I was
paying roughly 10 cents per minute; thirty years ago I paid $7 US per
minute to call Australia."

Dig This: Think of a number, any number. Magic Gopher will indirectly
guess what it is. Unbelievable. [Thanks, Joe D.]
http://www.learnenglish.org.uk/games...-central.swf??

And if you don't like Magic Gopher's attitude, try the MilaDesign
version. [Thanks, David B.]
http://www.milaadesign.com/wizardy.html

Don't spoil it for me by explaining how it's done, okay?

More About VoIP

I'm probably the last person at PC World to have discovered how to
make free calls using Jajah. Here are two articles to read for more
details about Jajah.

"Jajah Announces Free Telephone Service":
http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/..._sbxnws,00.asp

"Jajah Enables Instant VoIP":
http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/a...l?tk=nl_sbxblg

There are other VoIP options, though. I know you've heard about Skype.
I've been using it about a year now; read "Tips for Gabbing on the
Net":
http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article..._sbxhow,00.asp

For even more on Skype, read Jim Martin's "VoIP Alternatives":
http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article..._sbxhow,00.asp

But did you know that AOL's also got a VoIP service? It does, and Net
phone maven Aoife McEvoy reviewed it, along with Skype's recent
update:
http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic..._sbxrvw,00.asp

Check out PC World's Info Center for more on Internet telephony and
VoIP in general:
http://www.pcworld.com/resource/info..._sbxctr,00.asp

Dig This: The sand falls. You redirect, fiddle, move, block, and
modify its consistency. If you spend less than an hour on this site,
you probably have a big deadline looming.
http://chir.ag/stuff/sand

BTW, if that doesn't work for you, try this link:
http://ishi.blog2.fc2.com/blog-entry-158.html

If you get bored, try the Hell of Sand. The little characters are
amusing, though they don't seem very happy--neither would you if sand
kept falling on your head.
http://ishi.blog2.fc2.com/blog-entry-165.html

BTW, if you're feeling lame, you can get instructions from Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falling_Sand_Game

Write, Don't Call

I know you're itching to try Jajah by calling me. No problem. My
direct line is... Ahahaha, you think I'm crazy? How about calling a
long-lost relative or maybe your ex-spouse instead. While you're
blabbing, mention my newsletter and slowly spell out the URL below.
Better yet, just e-mail them the link--it's a lot quicker:
http://www.pcworld.com/resource/news...b_source=NL_XB

Steve Bass writes the "Hassle-Free PC" column in PC World's print
edition and is the author of "PC Annoyances, 2nd Edition: How to Fix
the Most Annoying Things About Your Personal Computer," available from
O'Reilly:
http://find.pcworld.com/43818

If he's not on the phone using Jajah, he's checking e-mail. Send him a
message at:

* Read Steve Bass's blog at:
http://blogs.pcworld.com/tipsandtweaks/?tk=sb

* See Steve Bass's previous columns at:
http://www.pcworld.com/resource/colu...3,tk,sb,00.asp

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=|advertisement|=-=-=-=

Sponsored Downloads:

* Registry First Aid: The best Registry Tool goes Version 5.0 *
Award winning Registry First Aid is the people's choice when it comes
to registry repair. It now has a new interface and even defrags the
registry making it smaller and faster. You'll be amazed at how many
problems have accumulated in your system when you run the first scan.
Color-coded results make corrections much easier for the beginner. You
see exactly what can be fixed with any possible problems marked as
green. Helps eliminate system crashes, software lockups and slow
software installations & uninstallations that went awry. Registry
First Aid fixes these problems by removing references that are no
longer needed. Hundreds of these files bog down the registry, slow
your computer and cause software to lock up. PC World newsletters
subscribers get an exclusive 10% discount on purchase.
* More information:
http://www.wugnet.com/affiliates/default.asp?pageid=155

* MixCraft: An easy multitrack recording studio with effects *
Mixcraft(tm) Recording Studio is multitrack audio software with
effects--featuring Reverb, Delay, EQ, Compressor, Flanger and Chorus,
as well as resonant filters and a powerful loop editor. The high
performance, 32 bit sound engine supports broadcast quality WAV files
and will even import compressed MP3s & WMA files. Use it to record
your own music, your band or even a remix for a dance recital. You
need only a computer and good multitrack recording software such as
Mixcraft to create amazing sound! When you've finished your mix,
publish it to the Internet as an MP3, WMA or RealAudio file. PC World
newsletters subscribers get an exclusive $5.00 discount on purchase.
* More information:
http://www.wugnet.com/affiliates/default.asp?pageid=555

Check other exclusive discount software offers for PC World
newsletters subscribers.
http://www.wugnet.com/affiliates/arc...pcworld-db.asp

Top News From PC World

* Brand Name Influence for Consumer Electronics Losing Luster
What's in a name? Less and less, according to a recent consumer
survey.
http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/..._cxanws,00.asp

* Lotus Notes Finally Gets Full Linux Support
Users of IBM's desktop collaboration software no longer must rely on
Web clients or software emulation.
http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/..._cxanws,00.asp

* Check out all of today's news...
http://www.pcworld.com/news/index/0,tk,nl_cxanws,00.asp

* PC World Picks and Promotions *

* The new PCWorld.com launches later this month!

See a preview of the new and improved site and sign up to receive an
alert before the launch.
http://www.marketing.pcworld.com/pre...=nl_cxbnewsite

* Check out the PC World Business Directory
Your source for business services from Advertising & Marketing to Web
Design.
http://pcworld.directorym.com/?tk=nl_cxbbus

* Find Wi-Fi Hot Spots
Use this free PCWorld.com service to locate Wi-Fi hot spots around the
corner or across the globe. Search by address, browse a map, check
pricing, search the U.S. by Zip Code and more.
http://pcworld.jiwire.com/

Editors' Picks

New Free Files

For cheapskates only: Search your IE favorites, search Outlook, check
hyperlinks in Word, manage Firefox tabs, and track hackers.
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/col...l_picks,00.asp

Lookout
Drill deep into Outlook and find messages you know are around but
can't find.
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/fil...l_picks,00.asp

VisualZone
Find out who is trying to hack into your PC.
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/fil...l_picks,00.asp

Tab Mix Plus
This add-on provides a raft of useful tab controls for Firefox fans.
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/fil...l_picks,00.asp

DzSoft Favorites Search
Search your IE Favorites list with this easy to use tool.
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/fil...l_picks,00.asp

Word Hyperlink Checker
Find and scotch dead hyperlinks in Word documents.
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/fil...l_picks,00.asp

For a full list of this week's Editors' Picks, go to:
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/col...l_picks,00.asp

* Reviews *

* 20 Great Low-Cost Utilities
These tools can address a host of problems, ranging from cluttered
hard disks to sluggish performance. Most are free or offer a free
trial period.
http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic..._cxbrvw,00.asp

Check the latest prices on Utilities:
http://pcworld.pricegrabber.com/home...8/tk=nl_cxbfdr

* Top 10 Point-and-Shoot Cameras
Easy to use, point-and-shoot cameras are a great choice for the casual
photographer.
http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic..._cxbrvw,00.asp

Check the latest prices on Cameras:
http://pcworld.pricegrabber.com/sear...8/tk=nl_cxbfdr

* Top 5 Ultraportable Laptops
Ideal for the mobile professional, these notebooks stand out for their
low weight and small footprint.
http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic..._cxbrvw,00.asp

Check the latest prices on Notebooks:
http://pcworld.pricegrabber.com/sear...3/tk=nl_cxbfdr

See all Reviews:
http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/index..._cxbrvw,00.asp

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=|advertisement|=-=-=-=

PC WORLD 2006 Dads And Grads Gift Guide The one place to shop for your
HIGH TECH DAD & GADGET SAVVY GRAD.

PCWorld editors review this year's hottest gifts for your Dad or Grad!
Read reviews, get specs and all the latest prices for Cell phones,
PDAs, Desktops, Notebooks, Flat Screens and more! Visit the Dads &
Grads Gift Guide!
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;330505...ads/index.html

* PC World Magazine: Get 2 Risk-Free Issues plus 15 free Instant Power
Guides and Bonus Windows Tips CD-ROM! Enter your trial order now to
receive this exclusive Power Guide Collection from our award-winning
editors. The collection includes Power Guide to Windows, PC Upgrades,
A Trouble-Free PC, and more! Don't delay. Order today.
[Note: Adobe Reader version 5 or newer is required to view Power
Guides.]
http://www.pcworld.com/ordernow

Or try digital PC World. Same great magazine in digital format!
http://www.pcworld.com/digital

newsletters or to change your newsletters format from text-only to
HTML, please go to:
http://www.pcworld.com/resource/news.../changesub.asp

--To change the e-mail address to which we send your PC World e-mail
newsletters, please visit our change of address form at:
http://www.pcworld.com/resource/news...ngeaddress.asp

--PC World will occasionally send e-mail announcements of special
deals, new products, and other third party product and service offers
to newsletter subscribers and PCWorld.com Registered Members who have
asked to receive them. To update your preferences and be excluded from
these mailings, please go to:
http://www.pcworld.com/resource/news...stopoffers.asp

--For a list of all these subscriber services online, please go to:
http://www.pcworld.com/resource/news...ubservices.asp

--PCWorld.com Privacy Policy:
http://www.pcworld.com/resource/privacy.asp

If you have questions or comments regarding PC World e-mail newsletter
subscriptions, please contact: (E-Mail Removed)

Interested in PC World RSS feeds? Please go to:
http://www.pcworld.com/resource/rss/0,00.asp

PCWorld.com newsletters may contain links to sites on the Internet
which are owned and operated by third parties. PC World
Communications, Inc., is not responsible for the availability of, or
the content located on or through any such third-party site.

2006 PC World Communications, Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction
in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written
permission of PC World Communications, Inc., is prohibited. PC World
is a registered trademark of International Data Group, Inc. All other
trademarks used on PC World and PCWorld.com are the property of their
respective owners. PC World Communications, Inc., 501 2nd St., San
Francisco, CA 94107.
---
You are currently subscribed to steve_bass_text as: (E-Mail Removed).

William P.N. Smith

F Thomas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>A real skype competitor ?

At twice the cost of SkypeOut (except that SkypeOut is free to North
America thru the end of the year) or VoipJet? Such a deal!

FTR

William P.N. Smith wrote:
> F Thomas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> A real skype competitor ?

> At twice the cost of SkypeOut (except that SkypeOut is free to North
> America thru the end of the year) or VoipJet? Such a deal!

I looked for calls from my PC to a landline in Europe when the called
has not signed up to JaJah : 0,02€ per minute & VAT = 0,022 €/min This
is the price of SkypeOut.

calls PC to landline when both sides are subscribers: free

From their website
> What is JAJAH Free Global Calling?
> JAJAH Free Global Calling allows you to make free local and international phone calls. It applies to land line and mobile calls to and within: the United States; Canada; China; Hong Kong, Singapore and Taiwan, and to landline calls to and within: Australia; UK; Germany; France, Italy and most other European nations.
>
> It applies when both call participants are registered and active JAJAH users. In countries where free phone calls are not available, or if someone is calling a non-JAJAH member, calls are subject to JAJAH’s regular low rates.

Look first at the info, then criticise

The interesting aspect are
1/ that you can call to a standard fixed line for no cost if both sides
are subscribers
2/ I have the impression that the voic quality is better. I have a 3 MB
Adsl line and SkypeOut speech quality is so-so, for instance not for
calls to an important client.

FT