Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > VOIP on Win 95?

VOIP on Win 95?

D. Kirkpatrick

Silly question, but will any of the VOIP systems run on Windows 95? I
ask because I have a spare old system here that might be used as a
dedicated system for that.

Seems Gizmo and Skype start at W2K to XP and Mac X.

I expect the processor chip is too slow on W95?

DMK

B. Wright

D. Kirkpatrick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Silly question, but will any of the VOIP systems run on Windows 95? I
> ask because I have a spare old system here that might be used as a
> dedicated system for that.

> Seems Gizmo and Skype start at W2K to XP and Mac X.

Use one of the Linux live bootable CDs that don't require
installation to the HD if you don't want to erase that old piece of crap
(W95) from your machine. I know the Knoppix CD has at least one built
in SIP phone (kphone), possibly more, and some of the other CD bootable
distributions probably have one as well.

> I expect the processor chip is too slow on W95?

The OS doesn't really indicate the speed of the chip, they're
not related. My friend in Brazil had an old bag of crap PC with Win98
on it, I booted up Knoppix and used kphone just fine on it and it was
handling the PPPOE connection at the same time as well. So, just try it
and find out.

D. Kirkpatrick

In article <e82vje$lbk$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"B. Wright" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Use one of the Linux live bootable CDs that don't require
> installation to the HD if you don't want to erase that old piece of crap
> (W95) from your machine. I know the Knoppix CD has at least one built
> in SIP phone (kphone), possibly more, and some of the other CD bootable
> distributions probably have one as well.
>
> > I expect the processor chip is too slow on W95?

> The OS doesn't really indicate the speed of the chip, they're
> not related. My friend in Brazil had an old bag of crap PC with Win98
> on it, I booted up Knoppix and used kphone just fine on it and it was
> handling the PPPOE connection at the same time as well. So, just try it
> and find out.

Thanks.

URL for that software by any chance? I don't mind wiping the W95 as
long as I can replace it with something useful. I have the original
installer CD's still so I can always go back.

DMK

Enzo Michelangeli

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

www.knoppix.org

> I don't mind wiping the W95 as
> long as I can replace it with something useful. I have the original
> installer CD's still so I can always go back.

You won't need to install anythingL Knoppix runs from the CDROM.

Or, even better, if you have a largish USB flashdrive and your PC can boot
from "USB FDD", consider Slax:

http://www.slax.org/

Start from the ISO image of the "KillBill" version
(http://www.slax.org/download.php ), add modules from
http://www.slax.org/modules.php (directly under Windows with
http://myslax.bonsonno.org/download.php ; get KPhone from
http://www.slax.org/modules.php?cate...45&name=KPhone ), burn
the USB flashdrive and boot up!

Enzo

Andreas Kohlbach

<http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/>

> I don't mind wiping the W95 as
> long as I can replace it with something useful. I have the original
> installer CD's still so I can always go back.

Knoppix runs from CD. After you shut it down it's completely gone without
a trace. Unless you told it to save some configuration to you Windows
partition.

You are also free to "install" (it's more copying and starting some setup
scripts after that) Knoppix. You can even install it next to Windows. The
setup will detect Windows and offer to resize its space and create an
empty Linux partition if you want so.

I have it here. But it doesn't come with Skype for example. But you can
install Skype (even if you only run from CD, but then after a reboot
Skype is gone too). You download the Debian binary (has the extension
*.deb) and save it to your Windows partition. Then after booting from the
Knoppix CD and can always "install" it again.

You need at least 128 MB ram if you want to run Knoppix. Though 64 would
probably be enough if you don't use the GUI (windows, mouse and
stuff). But for a beginner that's not recommended. And Skype and other
VOIP programs need a GUI of course.

You will have the feeling that Knoppix is slower than Windows 95. Of
course, since it loads every program from the slow CD rom and puts it to
your ram memory. If you install it it's much faster.
--
Andreas
PGP Key available on public key servers