Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > How do I cancel Vonage?

How do I cancel Vonage?

Rick Merrill

Stephen Adams wrote:
> Rick Merrill <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>>Stephen Adams wrote:

>>>I would do the following:
>>>
>>>1. Send certified, return-receipt letter stating cancellation;
>>>2. Send copy of said letter to State Attorney general and state Commerce
>>> Commission and Consumer protection office with details of atttempts to
>>> cancel;
>>>3. Take copies of all of the above to my bank (or credit card comnpany)
>>> with demand to deny any/all charges from said company;
>>>
>>>If your bank pays any demand notice from them, go after your bank. Your
>>>credit card company should be more responsive - just request a chargeback
>>>as well.
>>>
>>>I haven't tried to cancel Vonage, but I did have to deal with another slime
>>>company who refused to stop billing me despite 3 clear statements to cancel.
>>>

>>All of the above are just dandy, but with the new rules about who is
>>authorized to make changes in your account, they cannot accept certified
>>mail to do it!

> Except that I now have proof that I did try to cancel (documented in
> the letter), proof that they KNOW I want to cancel and thus they are
> committing fraud when they try to charge me.

Absolutely! That'll give you standing for back credit. Often the
1stline phone people can only give you a partial month credit.

> The point of the letter is to setup the legal case, and to give the
> State Attorney General, the State Commerce Comission and the State
> Consumer Protection Office the proof they need that you made every
> good faith effort to cancel.
>
> And the you simply stop paying them. They can come after you all you
> want, and you can prove to any legal authority and any credit bureau
> that you canceled. If they report you to TRW, Trans Union or one of
> the other Credit Reporting Agencies because they billed you after they
> cancel, you can nail them under Federal Law, no matter what their
> supposed contract with you says about disputes.

Nice in theory, but if they ding your credit report that is much more
RED TAPE than you want to deal with I betcha. Don't let it go there.

>>Best way I have found is to call your new phone company, have them
>>initiate a conference call to the old one and get it all fixed up.
>>But even that backfired in my case!

> If it were me, I'd switch the billing to a credit card if it wasn't
> already there, wait one billing cycle, then report the card lost.
> The credit card company will reject any future charges on that card
> number/expiration date combo.

That'll work, if you have cards to burn

lloyd@colston.com

Bob M wrote:

> you cancel. I'll be canceling very soon myself. I will also be canceling
> my credit card because I have read of numerous people having fraudulent

After you have cancelled, please look at http://mayescem.ld.net for
better choices than VONAGE. Packet8, there, is one of the better
providers.

Thanks for the post about Vonage.

Lloyd Colston
Pryor, OK

kc5fm

Pat Farrell wrote:
> I've been stuck in their hold queue for hours. I have tried on many days.
> Is there a real customer support number? or must you always call their

Vonage 888-250-1799 Direct to human.

Source http://www.gethuman.com

After you have cancelled, please look at http://mayescem.ld.net for
better choices than VONAGE. Packet8, there, is one of the better
providers.

Thanks for the post about Vonage.

Lloyd Colston
Pryor, OK

William P.N. Smith

Rick Merrill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Stephen Adams wrote:

[Did I attibute that wrong?]
>> If it were me, I'd switch the billing to a credit card if it wasn't
>> already there, wait one billing cycle, then report the card lost.
>> The credit card company will reject any future charges on that card
>> number/expiration date combo.

>That'll work, if you have cards to burn

Many cards will allow you to generate one-time use numbers for
potentially dodgy transactions. [Getting refunds to those numbers is
a bit more work, but that's a rathole.]

BrianEWilliams

kc5fm wrote:
> Pat Farrell wrote:
> > I've been stuck in their hold queue for hours. I have tried on many days.
> > Is there a real customer support number? or must you always call their

> Vonage 888-250-1799 Direct to human.
>
> Source http://www.gethuman.com
>
> After you have cancelled, please look at http://mayescem.ld.net for
> better choices than VONAGE. Packet8, there, is one of the better
> providers.
>
> Thanks for the post about Vonage.
>

> Lloyd Colston
> Pryor, OK

Thanks for the tip about gethuman.com. It will come in handy.

Bob M

> Bob M wrote:
>

>>you cancel. I'll be canceling very soon myself. I will also be canceling
>>my credit card because I have read of numerous people having fraudulent

> After you have cancelled, please look at http://mayescem.ld.net for
> better choices than VONAGE. Packet8, there, is one of the better
> providers.
>
> Thanks for the post about Vonage.
>
> Lloyd Colston
> Pryor, OK

Thanks for the info. However Vonage has really turned me off to VOIP.
I don't think I'll be signing up for it again.

Bob

Ivor Jones

"Bob M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

[snip]

> Thanks for the info. However Vonage has really turned me
> off to VOIP. I don't think I'll be signing up for it
> again.

Why..? Would you let a bad experience in a Ford put you off buying a VW..?
There are plenty of good providers out there that aren't as rubbish as
Vonage.

Ivor

B. Wright

Pat Farrell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I've been stuck in their hold queue for hours. I have tried on many days.
> Is there a real customer support number? or must you always call their
> tech support lines, which want to fix the problem.
> Then after a half hour of arguing (always polite) they transfer
> the call to 'customer service" which never answers and is only
> open 9 to 6 Pacific time. (Not even clear if it is US Pacific time
> or some other country).

They're all too busy trying to keep their stock price from
falling any lower to speak to you.

2irritated 2irritated is offline
Junior Member

The direct # to the vonage account management dept is: 888-288-7435. I just found this # today and called it to cancel my account. A feat I have been unable to accomplish in the past three weeks using the #'s Vonage insists that you call. I don't know how this # got out, but I found it in a blog when I became desperate to find a way to cancel my account. I have spent three weeks, several hour long phone calls and at least 7 emails trying to cancel my account. This # was the solution. It goes directly to a live person with no automated voice prompts, etc. The rep does go through the mandatory sales pitch that I'm sure you've already heard and sales tactics to try to prevent canceling. However, be firm and persistent and insist that they will cancel your account or you will take legal action. I also recommend disputing any charges to your credit card (anything they have charged against your wishes), and change your credit card account # on file with them (I believe you can do this through the online login) and if this doesn't work, consider filing a complaint with the FCC. I'm sure you have already resolved your problem as this is an old post, but hopefully someone else reading may be helped by finding this valuable direct #. Good luck! Also, I suspect Vonage will change this direct # frequently so customers can't use it. So, call quick before they figure out that the #'s out and change it!!