Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Hearing Own Voice in Handset on IP Phone

Hearing Own Voice in Handset on IP Phone

TexasMirty@gmail.com

I have a user saying that he cannot hear his own voice in the handset
when he talks on his Cisco 7940G IP phone. First off, is there a term
for that particular sound -- the sound of your own voice in the
handset? It needs to be strong enough so that you know how loud you are
talking. But not too strong.

Second, what settings on the Call Manager (Cisco 2850) would affect
this aspect of sound? Is this involved with the echo settings? (We
have tweaked those extensively -- input gain, output attenuation, etc.)
Is it perhaps a simple handset volume setting? (I tried, but the user
says that did not fix the problem.)

William P.N. Smith

>Is there a term
>for the sound of your own voice in the
>handset?

Sidetone

Pat Coghlan

If I recall my basic telephony, think this is a function of the handset,
not the network. Anybody got a basic phone circuit schematic???

> I have a user saying that he cannot hear his own voice in the handset
> when he talks on his Cisco 7940G IP phone. First off, is there a term
> for that particular sound -- the sound of your own voice in the
> handset? It needs to be strong enough so that you know how loud you are
> talking. But not too strong.
>
> Second, what settings on the Call Manager (Cisco 2850) would affect
> this aspect of sound? Is this involved with the echo settings? (We
> have tweaked those extensively -- input gain, output attenuation, etc.)
> Is it perhaps a simple handset volume setting? (I tried, but the user
> says that did not fix the problem.)

Stephen Sprunk

"Pat Coghlan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:44a1f12a$0$1583$(E-Mail Removed)...
> If I recall my basic telephony, think this is a function of the handset,
> not the network. Anybody got a basic phone circuit schematic???

As far as VoIP is concerned, sidetone is always generated by the handset,
such as the OP's 7940G. If sidetone is missing, odds are the phone is
configured wrong or buggy.

I'm not sure where sidetone comes from in POTS equipment.

William P.N. Smith

"Stephen Sprunk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I'm not sure where sidetone comes from in POTS equipment.

In POTS equipment it's part of the hybrid device in the phone.

Rick Merrill

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I have a user saying that he cannot hear his own voice in the handset
> when he talks on his Cisco 7940G IP phone. First off, is there a term
> for that particular sound -- the sound of your own voice in the
> handset? It needs to be strong enough so that you know how loud you are
> talking. But not too strong.
>
> Second, what settings on the Call Manager (Cisco 2850) would affect
> this aspect of sound? Is this involved with the echo settings? (We
> have tweaked those extensively -- input gain, output attenuation, etc.)
> Is it perhaps a simple handset volume setting? (I tried, but the user
> says that did not fix the problem.)

In old sets you heard your own voice by default. In electronic sets you
often do not hear your own voice - it is squelched so you can better
hear the other part, especially if you are on a speaker phone!

chrisharri@gmail.com

Sidetone is set in the Phone load - what version phone load are you
using?

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I have a user saying that he cannot hear his own voice in the handset
> when he talks on his Cisco 7940G IP phone. First off, is there a term
> for that particular sound -- the sound of your own voice in the
> handset? It needs to be strong enough so that you know how loud you are
> talking. But not too strong.
>
> Second, what settings on the Call Manager (Cisco 2850) would affect
> this aspect of sound? Is this involved with the echo settings? (We
> have tweaked those extensively -- input gain, output attenuation, etc.)
> Is it perhaps a simple handset volume setting? (I tried, but the user
> says that did not fix the problem.)

TexasMirty@gmail.com

Our phone load for the 7940G is P00307020300

Firmware:
Version 7.2(3.0)
Boot Load ID PC0303010200
App Load ID P00307020300

Files in the flash are:

tftp-server flash00307020300.loads
tftp-server flash00307020300.bin
tftp-server flash00307020300.sb2
tftp-server flash00307020300.sbn

Config:
telephony-service
load 7960-7940 P0030702030

CME:
Operating System: Cisco Internetwork Operating System. Cisco IOS (tm)
C2800NM
Cisco IOS Software: C2800NM-SPSERVICESK9-M
Software Version: 12.3(11)T10 / CME 3.2

Do you advise a downgrade or upgrade to the firmware? (We originally
went to this version to correct a problem with the sidecars not being
recognized by the 7960G we have.)