Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Time Warner digital phone calls 911 by itself!

Time Warner digital phone calls 911 by itself!

jcaywood@austin.rr.com

I have TW digital phone and about 6 weeks ago I had a 2nd line
installed (which I don't use much - only a few people know the number).
I have a Durabrand model PH-5595 wired phone connected to it along
with a Plantronics HL10 telephone handset lifted. Everything worked
fine until yesterday.
A little after 6:00 AM yesterday morning the police came to my house
and said they had rec'd a 911 hangup call (from this 2nd line) and when
they tried to call it back they got only static.
Then last night arond midnight, the police came again and said they had
rec'd a 911 hangup call and got only static when they called back.
This morning I called TW and they just got back to me - they said that
someone dailed from this phone:
05:43:14 until 05:43:31 - called 211
05:44:49 until 05:45:00 - called 911
05:45:18 until 05:45:28 - called 311
23:06:01 until 23:09:31 - called 211 211 211
23:48:26 until 23:49:10 - called 911
23:51:45 until 23:54:45 - called 211

NO ONE dialed this phone - My wife and I are the only ones here and we
were asleep in the same room as the only phone connected to this
number!

TW said that either someone here dialed the phone or the phone did it
automatically. When I told this to the Durabrand (lenoxx) rep, he
thought I was crazy and advvised that the phone could not dial a number
unless I had it programed with the number, had it on speakerphone, and
pressed send.

Has anyone heard of anything like this happening? Any suggestions? TW
told me that my phone may not be compatible and to get a new phone but
it seems to me that if a phone was not compatible, it would not wait 6
weeks to show problems.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I apologize if this is not a proper question for this group but I did
not know where else to go.
I also posted this in alt.onlineservices.roadrunner

Thanks

Jerry Caywood

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht

> Has anyone heard of anything like this happening?

This used to happen quite a bit in the old pulse-dial days. Various
possibilities (off the top of my head):

1) shorting phone-line wires

2) failing phone that randomly pulses

3) failing ATA that thinks it hears pulses

4) a badly secured ATA that has attracted the attention of kiddies.

The fact that the cops managed to call the phone and hear static seems
to indicate that the phone (or phone wire) is partially shorted and
imitates an off-hook phone.

-wolfgang

William P.N. Smith

>This morning I called TW and they just got back to me - they said that
>someone dailed from this phone:
>05:43:14 until 05:43:31 - called 211
>05:44:49 until 05:45:00 - called 911
>05:45:18 until 05:45:28 - called 311
>23:06:01 until 23:09:31 - called 211 211 211
>23:48:26 until 23:49:10 - called 911
>23:51:45 until 23:54:45 - called 211

Have TW give you a new T/A.

Rick Merrill

William P.N. Smith wrote:
> "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>This morning I called TW and they just got back to me - they said that
>>someone dailed from this phone:
>>05:43:14 until 05:43:31 - called 211
>>05:44:49 until 05:45:00 - called 911
>>05:45:18 until 05:45:28 - called 311
>>23:06:01 until 23:09:31 - called 211 211 211
>>23:48:26 until 23:49:10 - called 911
>>23:51:45 until 23:54:45 - called 211

> Have TW give you a new T/A.

AND get a UPS! (uninterruptible power supply) small power glitches can
cause this sort of electronic ghost!

Onion Knight

Do you have any pets?

--
OK

jcaywood@austin.rr.com

Thanks to everyone for their help.
The phone that was dialing by itself was only about 6 weeks old, so
the batteries were new. TW said it was the phone. No way could it be
their lines! Hmmm
There were no kids around, no burglar alarm, no pets, nothing programed
into speed-dial, nothing!

Anyway, I went to radio shack and bought a new phone and replaced the
old one. I also plugged the Handset lifter into a surge protector. So
far, no calls to 911 anyway. At least the cops ahven't awekened me at
midnight checking on us.

Thanks again for everyone's comments.

Andreas Kohlbach

"(E-Mail Removed) wrote on 25. June 2006:

> Thanks to everyone for their help.
> The phone that was dialing by itself was only about 6 weeks old, so
> the batteries were new. TW said it was the phone. No way could it be
> their lines! Hmmm
> There were no kids around, no burglar alarm, no pets, nothing programed
> into speed-dial, nothing!
>
> Anyway, I went to radio shack and bought a new phone and replaced the
> old one. I also plugged the Handset lifter into a surge protector. So
> far, no calls to 911 anyway. At least the cops ahven't awekened me at
> midnight checking on us.
>
> Thanks again for everyone's comments.

May be the phone allows to block some numbers? Okay, blocking 911 is
probably as bad idea in case you need to dial it, but...
--
Andreas
PGP Key available on public key servers

carrottop1960 carrottop1960 is offline
Junior Member

I've been having the same issue on and off for about 4 or 5 years. I've had 2 different phones and 2 different phone numbers. My 911 calls were hangups, as well as someone breathing hard on the line. I honestly believe that someone has hacked into my line, but Time Warner doesn't want to accept any responsibility on their part. I have been issued a citation, and my 15 year old autistic son has been threatened to be taken to the Department of Juvenile Justice. NO ONE has been physically making these calls, and I finally had a witness from the local EMS. I currently have no phone service, because TW came today and disconnected it. If anyone knows how to trace a hacker, please let me know!!!