Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > pbx analog extender

Reply
Thread Tools

pbx analog extender

 
 
Henry Cabot Henhouse III
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-20-2006
This has probably been covered a million times... I'm (still) looking for a
simple and inexpensive device that connects to an analog line off my pbx,
and one that connects to a standard analog phone at home.

When I go off hook at home, I should get distant pbx dial tone without a
"dial plan". When someone calls the pbx extension, the phone at home should
ring. In other words, the setup should function transparently to the user
and should not require the use of a server.

Btw... $899 each is a bit over budget! Trying to keep each end to 2-300 or
less if possible.

Thanks in advance!


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
gremln007@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-20-2006

Henry Cabot Henhouse III wrote:
> This has probably been covered a million times... I'm (still) looking for a
> simple and inexpensive device that connects to an analog line off my pbx,
> and one that connects to a standard analog phone at home.
>
> When I go off hook at home, I should get distant pbx dial tone without a
> "dial plan". When someone calls the pbx extension, the phone at home should
> ring. In other words, the setup should function transparently to the user
> and should not require the use of a server.
>
> Btw... $899 each is a bit over budget! Trying to keep each end to 2-300 or
> less if possible.
>
> Thanks in advance!


You might also look at phonegnome (www.phonegnome.com). They blend
PSTN and VOIP. Not sure if it will do exactly what you're after though.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
William P.N. Smith
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-20-2006
"Henry Cabot Henhouse III" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>simple and inexpensive device that connects to an analog line off my pbx,
>and one that connects to a standard analog phone at home.
>
>When I go off hook at home, I should get distant pbx dial tone without a
>"dial plan". When someone calls the pbx extension, the phone at home should
>ring. In other words, the setup should function transparently to the user
>and should not require the use of a server.


Have you looked at the various offerings from http://multitech.com/ ?
They seem to do that kind of thing, and appear to work well, though I
haven't used them personally.
 
Reply With Quote
 
B. Wright
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-26-2006
Henry Cabot Henhouse III <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> This has probably been covered a million times... I'm (still) looking for a
> simple and inexpensive device that connects to an analog line off my pbx,
> and one that connects to a standard analog phone at home.


> When I go off hook at home, I should get distant pbx dial tone without a
> "dial plan". When someone calls the pbx extension, the phone at home should
> ring. In other words, the setup should function transparently to the user
> and should not require the use of a server.


> Btw... $899 each is a bit over budget! Trying to keep each end to 2-300 or
> less if possible.


You should be able to do this with a Sipura 3000 FXO port hooked
up to the PBX and one of the FXS only Sipuras on the other end. Go read
about the "hotline" feature in the diaplans of the Sipuras. Basically, it
just auto-dials to the number (or SIP URI) as soon as the handset is picked
up. These can do IP to IP dialing without a SIP server in between. For
the incoming calls to route to the remote extension set the FXO port on
the SPA 3000 up to forward everything to the other adapter.

This is quite a cheap solution too.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Pat Coghlan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-26-2006
The problem with your suggestion is that you're connecting a phone line
to a phone line (PBX to Sipura). There is no phone to go off-hook.
When there is an incoming call, the PBX puts ringing voltage on the
line. The Sipura is not designed for this.

B. Wright wrote:
> Henry Cabot Henhouse III <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> This has probably been covered a million times... I'm (still) looking for a
>> simple and inexpensive device that connects to an analog line off my pbx,
>> and one that connects to a standard analog phone at home.

>
>> When I go off hook at home, I should get distant pbx dial tone without a
>> "dial plan". When someone calls the pbx extension, the phone at home should
>> ring. In other words, the setup should function transparently to the user
>> and should not require the use of a server.

>
>> Btw... $899 each is a bit over budget! Trying to keep each end to 2-300 or
>> less if possible.

>
> You should be able to do this with a Sipura 3000 FXO port hooked
> up to the PBX and one of the FXS only Sipuras on the other end. Go read
> about the "hotline" feature in the diaplans of the Sipuras. Basically, it
> just auto-dials to the number (or SIP URI) as soon as the handset is picked
> up. These can do IP to IP dialing without a SIP server in between. For
> the incoming calls to route to the remote extension set the FXO port on
> the SPA 3000 up to forward everything to the other adapter.
>
> This is quite a cheap solution too.
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Enzo Michelangeli
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-26-2006
"B. Wright" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e7om85$nh5$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Henry Cabot Henhouse III <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> This has probably been covered a million times... I'm (still) looking
>> for a
>> simple and inexpensive device that connects to an analog line off my pbx,
>> and one that connects to a standard analog phone at home.

>
>> When I go off hook at home, I should get distant pbx dial tone without a
>> "dial plan". When someone calls the pbx extension, the phone at home
>> should
>> ring. In other words, the setup should function transparently to the user
>> and should not require the use of a server.

>
>> Btw... $899 each is a bit over budget! Trying to keep each end to 2-300
>> or
>> less if possible.

>
> You should be able to do this with a Sipura 3000 FXO port hooked
> up to the PBX and one of the FXS only Sipuras on the other end. Go read
> about the "hotline" feature in the diaplans of the Sipuras. Basically, it
> just auto-dials to the number (or SIP URI) as soon as the handset is
> picked
> up. These can do IP to IP dialing without a SIP server in between. For
> the incoming calls to route to the remote extension set the FXO port on
> the SPA 3000 up to forward everything to the other adapter.
>
> This is quite a cheap solution too.


I think his PBX extension requires an FXS interface, making the solution
even cheaper: a pair of SPA-1000
(http://www.telephonyware.com/telephonyware/tw00111.html or, even better, of
PAP2-NA (http://www.voipsupply.com/product_in...roducts_id=317 will
cost him ~120.

Enzo


 
Reply With Quote
 
Henry Cabot Henhouse III
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-26-2006
Thank you for the suggestions...
I did look at the ArtDio IPH-102 VoIP FXO FXS Gateway
Has anyone used these in an "off prem" type application? I'm just wondering
how
easy/difficult they are to configure for use in a point to point setup? They
run P.MGCP.




"Henry Cabot Henhouse III" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This has probably been covered a million times... I'm (still) looking for
> a simple and inexpensive device that connects to an analog line off my
> pbx, and one that connects to a standard analog phone at home.
>
> When I go off hook at home, I should get distant pbx dial tone without a
> "dial plan". When someone calls the pbx extension, the phone at home
> should ring. In other words, the setup should function transparently to
> the user and should not require the use of a server.
>
> Btw... $899 each is a bit over budget! Trying to keep each end to 2-300 or
> less if possible.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
B. Wright
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-28-2006
Pat Coghlan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> The problem with your suggestion is that you're connecting a phone line
> to a phone line (PBX to Sipura). There is no phone to go off-hook.
> When there is an incoming call, the PBX puts ringing voltage on the
> line. The Sipura is not designed for this.


Pat, you're wrong. Most Sipuras aren't designed for that, but
the SPA-3000 has an FXO port, which is designed to be hooked up to an
incoming analog line provided by the telco/pbx. It handles ringing
voltage just fine. It also does have an FXS port to hook a handset up
to and a hardware relay that shunts the handset to the incoming analog
line if the power dies for emergency service even if the VoIP portion of
the adapter isn't working. Most of those features aren't too relevant
to what the original poster wants to do, but the FXO port is for the pbx
end of business.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Pat Coghlan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-28-2006
Is that the only reason the FXO port is there, to provide a backup
analog shunt if the TA loses power?

Anyway, as you indicated, in this configuration it's still not possible
to extend the "FXS" port to meet the OP's requirement.

B. Wright wrote:
> Pat Coghlan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> The problem with your suggestion is that you're connecting a phone line
>> to a phone line (PBX to Sipura). There is no phone to go off-hook.
>> When there is an incoming call, the PBX puts ringing voltage on the
>> line. The Sipura is not designed for this.

>
> Pat, you're wrong. Most Sipuras aren't designed for that, but
> the SPA-3000 has an FXO port, which is designed to be hooked up to an
> incoming analog line provided by the telco/pbx. It handles ringing
> voltage just fine. It also does have an FXS port to hook a handset up
> to and a hardware relay that shunts the handset to the incoming analog
> line if the power dies for emergency service even if the VoIP portion of
> the adapter isn't working. Most of those features aren't too relevant
> to what the original poster wants to do, but the FXO port is for the pbx
> end of business.
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
William P.N. Smith
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-28-2006
Pat Coghlan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Anyway, as you indicated, in this configuration it's still not possible
>to extend the "FXS" port to meet the OP's requirement.


You use an FXO box to connect to the OP's PBX and hook his remote
telephone up to an FXS box. Ignore all the extra ports on any boxes
you might use.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
analog pbx extender henry cabot henhouse III VOIP 0 06-12-2007 02:12 AM
analog pbx extender Henry Cabot Henhouse III VOIP 1 01-10-2007 07:23 PM
extending analog pbx port Henry Cabot Henhouse III VOIP 12 09-18-2006 03:14 AM
Virtual PBX,Private Phone Systems,PBX Sip,Phone Switches,Pabx,Free Internet Calls likatrib@gmail.com VOIP 0 05-09-2006 01:07 AM
Analog interface between voice gateway and pbx system, please suggest too Nitass Cisco 1 01-11-2005 08:57 AM



Advertisments