Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > Programming language + XML + XSL = compiler ?

Programming language + XML + XSL = compiler ?

Joe Kesselman

Another interesting reference on this topic: The folks working on a test
suite for the W3C's DOM APIs were developing a limited XML-based
"programming language" for binding/language-independent description of
the tests, together with stylesheets which would render those into
executable form. Again, that's a fairly primitive "compiler", but it's
yet another instance of XML-based programming languages.

rnbrady@gmail.com

Juergen

> Where did you get the DSP algorithms in XML ?

That's a good question. I'm writing them myself and learning as I go
along.

> Is there any standard for this ?

Not that I know of, but I wouldn't be surprised.

So, now that I have these XML descriptions being converted into VHDL,
the next step is to layer something more interesting on top. No DSP
designer wants to type their spec in XML ... yuk!

There are several options: text (something more readable than XML),
visual, or both. My application is Software Defined Radio so I'm
looking at Waveform Description Language (WDL) which has a textual form
with equivalent representations in visual and XML forms. Another option
would be UML2.

For WDL I have a Lex/Yacc grammar, so I can just create a little
compiler to mark-up the code. I thought there'd be plenty other folk
with the same issue and some standard solution might have been
developed. I'm a big fan of standard solutions because of the re-use
which they encourage.

Richard

rnbrady@gmail.com

Juergen

PS: Your links (both the article and the comp.compiler discussion) were
very useful. Thank you.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=FCrgen_Kahrs?=

> So, now that I have these XML descriptions being converted into VHDL,
> the next step is to layer something more interesting on top. No DSP
> designer wants to type their spec in XML ... yuk!

Two years ago, someone posted here about a VHDL
application. Use Google Newsgroups to search for
"Use variables to get unique nodes". He posted
this stuff:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Root>
<E>
<!-- If we have the key match with pin only
the xslt does not work. If the maych is at least TEST/Pin
it is OK
-->
<Pin PinName="A" PinClass="T"/>
<!--<Pin PinName="AX" PinClass="T"/> -->
</E>
<x>
<!-- in case the TEST node below is not selected by Index
AND PinName="A" and CellType="M" matches
the result is wrong
-->
<TEST Index="42" CellType="M">
<Pin PinName="z" PinClass="R"/>
<!--<Pin PinName="AX" PinClass="T"/>-->
<Pin PinName="A" PinClass="T"/>
</TEST>
<TEST Index="43" CellType="M">
<Pin PinName="A" PinClass="T"/>
<Pin PinName="D" PinClass="R"/>
<Pin PinName="C" PinClass="R"/>
<Pin PinName="X" PinClass="R"/>
</TEST>
<TEST Index="44" CellType="M">
<Pin PinName="D" PinClass="R"/>
<Pin PinName="C" PinClass="R"/>
<Pin PinName="X" PinClass="R"/>
<Pin PinName="A" PinClass="T"/>
</TEST>
<TEST Index="45" CellType="M">
<Pin PinName="z" PinClass="R"/>
</TEST>
</x>
</Root>

> There are several options: text (something more readable than XML),
> visual, or both. My application is Software Defined Radio so I'm
> looking at Waveform Description Language (WDL) which has a textual form
> with equivalent representations in visual and XML forms. Another option
> would be UML2.

This is rather abstract. You should post an example.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=FCrgen_Kahrs?=

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> PS: Your links (both the article and the comp.compiler discussion) were
> very useful. Thank you.

This paper about lcc may also be interesting for you:

http://www.cs.princeton.edu/software/lcc/asdl.html

This is not strictly involving XML, but they also
use a tree-representation.

rnbrady@gmail.com

Thanks!

rnbrady@gmail.com

I recently came across the str:tokenize() function at the EXSLT
project. It takes a string and converts it into several tokens.

QUOTE:

The string given by the first argument is split at any occurrence of
any of these characters. For example:

str:tokenize('2001-06-03T11:40:23', '-T:')

Gives the node set consisting of:

<token>2001</token>
<token>06</token>
<token>03</token>
<token>11</token>
<token>40</token>
<token>23</token>

UNQUOTE.

This is close to what I had in mind. If you could extend the idea so
that it takes an EBNF in XML form instead of a list of delimiters,
wouldn't you have part of a scanner and parser?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=FCrgen_Kahrs?=

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> This is close to what I had in mind. If you could extend the idea so
> that it takes an EBNF in XML form instead of a list of delimiters,
> wouldn't you have part of a scanner and parser?

Yes, but what is it good for ?
Do you want to write a universal Parser which
takes an EBNF and parses according to the EBNF ?
Such universal parsers have been suggested and
implemented much earlier. For example, Niklaus
Wirth presented such a parser in 1976:

http://www.inf.ethz.ch/personal/wirt.../Compilerbau0/
http://www.oberon.ethz.ch/WirthPubl/CBEAll.pdf

rnbrady@gmail.com

> Do you want to write a universal Parser which
> takes an EBNF and parses according to the EBNF ?

It doesn't need to be written from scratch, just integrated as an
extension to XSL, so that XSL can take structured text (in a non-XML
form) as input and parse it, and generate xml/html/text as output.

> Yes, but what is it good for ?

1. Compiler-compiler not needed as separate step in the whole process.
2. Definition of a standard syntax for EBNF using a DTD or XSD.
3. Entire compiler could be written in XSL.
4. An interesting platform for academic exploration of compiler design.

Philippe Poulard

Andy Dingley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Joe Kesselman wrote:
>
>>Hm. I don't usually think of Ant as a programming language,

> In its limited little way, it's a declarative programming language (as
> was Prolog). You can use it as a convenient dependency resolver.
>

>>I don't think I've heard of anyone styling it,

> I have an XSLT stylesheet that auto-documents Ant external targets.
> Handy when I'm shipping deployment scripts to users.
>
> I also auto-generate Ant from a vile combination of our bug tracker,
> change control, and Torque repository. This generates database patch
> scripts for upgrading customer databases from arbitrary start points to
> new product versions.

hi,

I have designed and implemented a general-purpose XML system that I
called "Active Tags" which allows to make programs with XML tags ; it
allows to mix declarative tags with imperative instructions, uses XPath
to access object's properties, and much more...

it is not "yet another markup language" but a framework that allows
several markup languages to run together

the implementation (Java) :
http://reflex.gforge.inria.fr
the specs :
http://disc.inria.fr/perso/philippe....tive-tags.html