Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > Other XML Editors/Tools besides XMLSpy?

Other XML Editors/Tools besides XMLSpy?

carey1@sbcglobal.net

Hi guys. What would you recommend as an alternative to using XMLSpy
from Altova? I need about 200 licences and similar functionality as
XMLSpy.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Best regards,
Carey

Joe Kesselman

I haven't used XMLSpy so I can't vouch for whether functionality is
comparable or not -- I tend mostly to work from the command line and
Emacs and/or calling APIs directly -- but you might want to investigate
the tools available for working with XML in the Eclipse environment. A
description of some of them can be found at:

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/library/os-ecxml/

oXygen XML Editor

You can take a look at <oXygen/> XML Editor (http://www.oxygenxml.com).

The <oXygen/> license is not bound to a specific platform (it runs on
Windows, Linux, Mac OSX), you can freely change from one platform to
another using the same license and it includes both standalone version
and an Eclipse plugin version.

Please contact us at support at oxygenxml dot com for further details.

Best regards,
Stefan.

Joe Kesselman wrote:
> I haven't used XMLSpy so I can't vouch for whether functionality is
> comparable or not -- I tend mostly to work from the command line and
> Emacs and/or calling APIs directly -- but you might want to investigate
> the tools available for working with XML in the Eclipse environment. A
> description of some of them can be found at:
>
> http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/library/os-ecxml/

Boris Kolpackov

> Hi guys. What would you recommend as an alternative to using XMLSpy
> from Altova? I need about 200 licences and similar functionality as
> XMLSpy.

If you need XML data binding support, specifically for C++, then you
may be interested in CodeSynthesis XSD - open-source, cross-platform
XML Schema to C++ data binding compiler:

http://codesynthesis.com/products/xsd/

hth,
-boris

Manuel Collado

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) escribió:
> Hi guys. What would you recommend as an alternative to using XMLSpy
> from Altova? I need about 200 licences and similar functionality as
> XMLSpy.
>
> Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

My choice is XXE:

http://www.xmlmind.com/xmleditor/

It is not a true XML working environment, but a XML content editor. I
find the WYSIWYG facilities of XXE more manageable than of XmlSpy, but
this a matter of taste. If the main task is validating edition of the
content of XML documents, then this tool can be really useful.

Hope this helps.
--
To reply by e-mail, please remove the extra dot
in the given address: m.collado -> mcollado

alavinio@gmail.com

Stylus Studio.
Visit http://www.stylusstudio.com/switch.html

-- Tony

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi guys. What would you recommend as an alternative to using XMLSpy
> from Altova? I need about 200 licences and similar functionality as
> XMLSpy.
>
> Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Best regards,
> Carey

Andy Dingley

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi guys. What would you recommend as an alternative to using XMLSpy
> from Altova? I need about 200 licences and similar functionality as
> XMLSpy.

Go open source. You can save a shedload of money, especially for 200
licences.

Eclipse or jEdit are the obvious candidates. Maybe not as slick in some
ways, and you'll have to do a little legwork to put together an easy
package of options and relevant docs for your users, but 200 XML Spy
licences is a fair price to pay for some admin time. Eclipse is also a
much better product

PennyHeeren PennyHeeren is offline
Junior Member

I am no longer able to use XMLSpy... sigh. I need a freeware option that will allow me to view XSD files and structure of a VERY complex XSD sets of files. Ideally, I would like it to automatically open all "include" files & represent the structure visually - and then allow me to "drill-down" to the element level & as needed, pull up the specific xsd file that defines the element.

Which of these (if any) will work as well for this as XMLSpy did?