Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > RSS problem in IE but ok with FF ?

RSS problem in IE but ok with FF ?

Kentor

if you look at http://www.rent-index.com/rss.php with FF, there are no
errors and it opens fine, but with IE i get line: 0 char: 0 error: an
invalid character was found in text content. Code: 0

Kentor

Kentor wrote:
> if you look at http://www.rent-index.com/rss.php with FF, there are no
> errors and it opens fine, but with IE i get line: 0 char: 0 error: an
> invalid character was found in text content. Code: 0

but if you save the file in FF and open it from your computer with IE,
it works fine...

Martin Honnen

Kentor wrote:

> if you look at http://www.rent-index.com/rss.php with FF, there are no
> errors and it opens fine, but with IE i get line: 0 char: 0 error: an
> invalid character was found in text content. Code: 0

Unfortunately Mozilla's XML parser is known not to find encoding
problems. If I use an XML parser (from .NET) to parse that file then it
finds an encoding error at
"Invalid character in the given encoding. Line 233, position 1."

--

Martin Honnen
http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

Kentor

Martin Honnen wrote:
> Kentor wrote:
>
> > if you look at http://www.rent-index.com/rss.php with FF, there are no
> > errors and it opens fine, but with IE i get line: 0 char: 0 error: an
> > invalid character was found in text content. Code: 0

> Unfortunately Mozilla's XML parser is known not to find encoding
> problems. If I use an XML parser (from .NET) to parse that file then it
> finds an encoding error at
> "Invalid character in the given encoding. Line 233, position 1."
>
> --
>
> Martin Honnen
> http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

How can i make all my data in the db to be xml compatible... cuz that
character is but when i try to replace it with something i get a
weird sign if i copy it into a text editor and it doesnt want to
replace it

Martin Honnen

Kentor wrote:

> How can i make all my data in the db to be xml compatible... cuz that
> character is but when i try to replace it with something i get a
> weird sign if i copy it into a text editor and it doesnt want to
> replace it

Decide what encoding you want to use for the XML document (e.g. UTF-,
then make sure you output characters in that encoding, with PHP you can
use mbstring or iconv extensions I think. And put the encoding in the
XML declaration.
Of course if you have data in a db then you need to be aware of encoding
issues with the db. That depends on the DB, with MySQL 4.1 and later you
have UTF-8 support I think.

--

Martin Honnen
http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

Kentor

im using phpMyAdmin - 2.8.0.3

MySQL client version: 5.0.16

Can you walk me through what i should to do fix all this