Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > Docbook: marking variables

Docbook: marking variables

Lasse Kliemann

Greetings,

what is the correct way to mark a variable using Docbook? I do not mean
the name of a variable from some program code. There is <varname> for
this. I mean something like:

Let n be the number of files. ...

I'd like to mark the 'n' somehow. In LaTeX one would do $n$.

Thanks!

Lasse

--
Those who do not understand Unix
are condemned to reinvent it, poorly.

Peter Flynn

Lasse Kliemann wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> what is the correct way to mark a variable using Docbook? I do not mean
> the name of a variable from some program code. There is <varname> for
> this. I mean something like:
>
> Let n be the number of files. ...
>
> I'd like to mark the 'n' somehow. In LaTeX one would do $n$.

If your document is going to be converted to LaTeX for typesetting,
then <varname lang="TeX">n</varname> should be enough for a stylesheet
to pick it up and turn it into \(n\) or $n$, and the description of
it as a variable seems adequate. But you could also turn on MathML
in DocBook and then I believe use <inlineequation>, although it is
probably too cumbersom for a simple reference to a single variable.

///Peter
--
XML FAQ: http://xml.silmaril.ie/

Marking a News Group as read on exit Jim Leder Firefox 12 07-30-2005 10:34 AM
Marking as Junk SightSeer Firefox 6 01-10-2005 10:01 AM
TB marking folders read Bob Firefox 4 12-14-2004 05:57 PM
Marking Newsgroup Read on Exit Shelly Firefox 3 09-23-2004 03:50 AM
Marking as read coustanis Firefox 12 06-16-2004 08:21 AM

Advertisments