Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > query regarding xs:key & key ref

query regarding xs:key & key ref

shyam

Hi All

As per my understanding we use xs:key when we want to have a unique
value for a element or attribute and keyref to refer to one of the
unique values of that element or attribute.

However I am not sure if this uniqueness is checked when we validate a
document using XMLSpy

Here is the protion of myschema

<xs:element name="PROTOHEADERENTRY">
<xs:complexType>
<xs:sequence>
<xs:element name="ABNFGRAMMER">
<xs:complexType>
<xs:sequence>
<xs:element name="ABNFRULESET">
<xs:simpleType>
<xs:list>
<xs:simpleType>
<xs:restriction base="xs:token">
<xsattern value="\p{IsBasicLatin}*"/>
</xs:restriction>
</xs:simpleType>
</xs:list>
</xs:simpleType>
</xs:element>
</xs:sequence>
</xs:complexType>
</xs:element>
</xs:sequence>
<xs:attribute name="NAME" type="xs:token"/>
<xs:attribute name="HEADERSEQNUM" type="xsositiveInteger"/>
</xs:complexType>
</xs:element>

now at the root element , which is above PROTOHEADERENTRY, i do this
<xs:key name="KEYHEADERNUM">
<xs:selector xpath="./PROTOHEADERENTRY"/>
<xs:field xpath="HEADERSEQNUM"/>
</xs:key>

Now when I write a xml file and validate against this schema it gets
validated even if I use same HEADERSEQNUM value for multiple
PROTOHEADERENTRY elements

I am using XMLSpy

I think I am missing some trick here

PLease Help

Regards
Shyam

Martin Honnen

XPath to select an attribute is @attributeName so you probably want
<xs:field xpath="@HEADERSEQNUM"/>

--

Martin Honnen
http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

shyam

Martin Honnen wrote:
> shyam wrote:
>

> > <xs:attribute name="HEADERSEQNUM" type="xsositiveInteger"/>

> > <xs:selector xpath="./PROTOHEADERENTRY"/>
> > <xs:field xpath="HEADERSEQNUM"/>

> XPath to select an attribute is @attributeName so you probably want
> <xs:field xpath="@HEADERSEQNUM"/>

Even with this its dosent work

> --
>
> Martin Honnen
> http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

Stan Kitsis [MSFT]

You need to declare a target namespace in your schema and use it in the
xpath. In the example below I used myTNS as the prefix for your target
namespace.

<xs:schema ... targetNamespace="myTargetNamespace"
xmlns:myTNS="myTargetNamespace" xmlns="myTargetNamespace"...>

<xs:selector xpath="./myTNSROTOHEADERENTRY"/>
<xs:field xpath="@HEADERSEQNUM"/>

Stan Kitsis
Program Manager, XML Technologies
Microsoft Corporation

"shyam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> Martin Honnen wrote:
>> shyam wrote:
>>

>> > <xs:attribute name="HEADERSEQNUM" type="xsositiveInteger"/>

>> > <xs:selector xpath="./PROTOHEADERENTRY"/>
>> > <xs:field xpath="HEADERSEQNUM"/>

>> XPath to select an attribute is @attributeName so you probably want
>> <xs:field xpath="@HEADERSEQNUM"/>

> Even with this its dosent work
>

>> --
>>
>> Martin Honnen
>> http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

shyam

Stan Kitsis [MSFT] wrote:
> You need to declare a target namespace in your schema and use it in the
> xpath. In the example below I used myTNS as the prefix for your target
> namespace.
>
> <xs:schema ... targetNamespace="myTargetNamespace"
> xmlns:myTNS="myTargetNamespace" xmlns="myTargetNamespace"...>

> <xs:selector xpath="./myTNSROTOHEADERENTRY"/>
> <xs:field xpath="@HEADERSEQNUM"/>

Thanks Stan This has worked ,
however the keyref thing is still not working
I have defined a keyref
<xs:keyref name="KEYENTRYNUM" refer="myTNS:KEYHEADERNUM">
<xs:selector xpath="./myTNSROTOHEADER"/>
<xs:field xpath="@ENTRYSEQNUM"/>
</xs:keyref>

which refers to the earlier xs:key

So i want is that the ENTRYSEQNUM attribute of PROTOHEADER element
should refer to a unique and existing HEADERSEQNUM attribute of
myTNSROTOHEADERENTRY element

I guess I am again missing some minor trick and would graetly
appretiate if you could help out

Thanks
Shyam

> Stan Kitsis
> Program Manager, XML Technologies
> Microsoft Corporation

> "shyam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> >
> > Martin Honnen wrote:

> >> XPath to select an attribute is @attributeName so you probably want
> >> <xs:field xpath="@HEADERSEQNUM"/>

> > Even with this its dosent work
> >

> >> --
> >>
> >> Martin Honnen
> >> http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

Stan Kitsis [MSFT]

Shyam,

Can you post your schema?

--
Stan Kitsis
Program Manager, XML Technologies
Microsoft Corporation

"shyam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> Stan Kitsis [MSFT] wrote:
>> You need to declare a target namespace in your schema and use it in the
>> xpath. In the example below I used myTNS as the prefix for your target
>> namespace.
>>
>> <xs:schema ... targetNamespace="myTargetNamespace"
>> xmlns:myTNS="myTargetNamespace" xmlns="myTargetNamespace"...>

>> <xs:selector xpath="./myTNSROTOHEADERENTRY"/>
>> <xs:field xpath="@HEADERSEQNUM"/>
>>

> Thanks Stan This has worked ,
> however the keyref thing is still not working
> I have defined a keyref
> <xs:keyref name="KEYENTRYNUM" refer="myTNS:KEYHEADERNUM">
> <xs:selector xpath="./myTNSROTOHEADER"/>
> <xs:field xpath="@ENTRYSEQNUM"/>
> </xs:keyref>
>
> which refers to the earlier xs:key
>
> So i want is that the ENTRYSEQNUM attribute of PROTOHEADER element
> should refer to a unique and existing HEADERSEQNUM attribute of
> myTNSROTOHEADERENTRY element
>
> I guess I am again missing some minor trick and would graetly
> appretiate if you could help out
>
> Thanks
> Shyam

>> --
>> Stan Kitsis
>> Program Manager, XML Technologies
>> Microsoft Corporation

>> rights.
>> Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at
>> http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
>>

>> "shyam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

>> > Even with this its dosent work

shyam

Stan Kitsis [MSFT] wrote:
> Shyam,
>
> Can you post your schema?

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<xs:schema xmlnss="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
xmlns="http://www.w3schools.com" xmlns:myTNS="MYTARGET"
targetNamespace="MYTARGET" elementFormDefault="qualified">
<xs:element name="PROTOHEADERENTRY">
<xs:complexType>
<xs:sequence>
<xs:element name="ABNFGRAMMER">
<xs:complexType>
<xs:sequence>
<xs:element name="ABNFRULESET">
<xs:simpleType>
<xs:list>
<xs:simpleType>
<xs:restriction base="xs:token">
<xsattern value="\p{IsBasicLatin}*"/>
</xs:restriction>
</xs:simpleType>
</xs:list>
</xs:simpleType>
</xs:element>
<xs:element name="ABNFEXCEPTION" maxOccurs="unbounded">
<xs:complexType>
<xs:attribute name="RULENAME" type="xs:token"/>
<xs:attribute name="EXCEPTION">
<xs:simpleType>
<xs:restriction base="xs:token">
<xs:enumeration value="MANDATORY"/>
<xs:enumeration value="IGNORESEQ"/>
<xs:enumeration value="IGNORECASE"/>
</xs:restriction>
</xs:simpleType>
</xs:attribute>
</xs:complexType>
</xs:element>
</xs:sequence>
</xs:complexType>
</xs:element>
</xs:sequence>
<xs:attribute name="NAME" type="xs:token"/>
<xs:attribute name="HEADERSEQNUM" type="xsositiveInteger"/>
</xs:complexType>
</xs:element>
<xs:element name="ABNFBASIC">
<xs:complexType>
<xs:sequence>
<xs:element name="RULESTRING" type="xs:string"/>
</xs:sequence>
<xs:attribute name="ABNFBASICNAME" type="xs:NMTOKEN"/>
</xs:complexType>
</xs:element>
<xs:element name="ABNFRULE">
<xs:complexType>
<xs:sequence>
<xs:element name="RULESTRING">
<xs:simpleType>
<xs:list>
<xs:simpleType>
<xs:restriction base="xs:token">
<xsattern value="\p{IsBasicLatin}*"/>
</xs:restriction>
</xs:simpleType>
</xs:list>
</xs:simpleType>
</xs:element>
</xs:sequence>
<xs:attribute name="RULENAME" type="xs:NMTOKEN"/>
</xs:complexType>
</xs:element>
<xs:element name="PROTOHEADER">
<xs:complexType>
<xs:attribute name="PROTOHEADERNAME" type="xs:token"/>
<xs:attribute name="ENTRYSEQNUM" type="xsositiveInteger"/>
</xs:complexType>
</xs:element>
<xs:element name="PROTODEF">
<xs:complexType>
<xs:sequence>
<xs:element name="PROTOTABLE">
<xs:complexType>
<xs:sequence>
<xs:element ref="myTNSROTOHEADER" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
</xs:sequence>
</xs:complexType>
</xs:element>
<xs:element ref="myTNSROTOHEADERENTRY" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
<xs:element ref="myTNS:ABNFRULE" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
<xs:element ref="myTNS:ABNFBASIC" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
</xs:sequence>
<xs:attribute name="PROTOCOLNAME" type="xs:token"/>
<xs:attribute name="PROJECTNAME" type="xs:string"/>
</xs:complexType>
<xs:key name="KEYHEADERNUM">
<xs:selector xpath="myTNSROTOHEADERENTRY"/>
<xs:field xpath="@HEADERSEQNUM"/>
</xs:key>
<xs:key name="KEYHEADERNAME">
<xs:selector xpath="./myTNSROTOHEADERENTRY"/>
<xs:field xpath="@NAME"/>
</xs:key>
<xs:keyref name="KEYENTRYNUM" refer="myTNS:KEYHEADERNUM">
<xs:selector xpath="./myTNSROTOHEADER"/>
<xs:field xpath="@ENTRYSEQNUM"/>
</xs:keyref>
</xs:element>
</xs:schema>

> Stan Kitsis
> Program Manager, XML Technologies
> Microsoft Corporation

> "shyam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> >
> > Stan Kitsis [MSFT] wrote:
> >> You need to declare a target namespace in your schema and use it in the
> >> xpath. In the example below I used myTNS as the prefix for your target
> >> namespace.
> >>
> >> <xs:schema ... targetNamespace="myTargetNamespace"
> >> xmlns:myTNS="myTargetNamespace" xmlns="myTargetNamespace"...>

> >> <xs:selector xpath="./myTNSROTOHEADERENTRY"/>
> >> <xs:field xpath="@HEADERSEQNUM"/>
> >>

> > Thanks Stan This has worked ,
> > however the keyref thing is still not working
> > I have defined a keyref
> > <xs:keyref name="KEYENTRYNUM" refer="myTNS:KEYHEADERNUM">
> > <xs:selector xpath="./myTNSROTOHEADER"/>
> > <xs:field xpath="@ENTRYSEQNUM"/>
> > </xs:keyref>
> >
> > which refers to the earlier xs:key
> >
> > So i want is that the ENTRYSEQNUM attribute of PROTOHEADER element
> > should refer to a unique and existing HEADERSEQNUM attribute of
> > myTNSROTOHEADERENTRY element
> >
> > I guess I am again missing some minor trick and would graetly
> > appretiate if you could help out
> >
> > Thanks
> > Shyam

> >> --
> >> Stan Kitsis
> >> Program Manager, XML Technologies
> >> Microsoft Corporation

> >> rights.
> >> Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
> >>

> >> "shyam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

shyam

Stan Kitsis [MSFT] wrote:
> [...]

> > <xs:selector xpath="./myTNSROTOHEADER"/>
> > <xs:field xpath="@ENTRYSEQNUM"/>
> > </xs:keyref>
> >
> > which refers to the earlier xs:key
> >
> > So i want is that the ENTRYSEQNUM attribute of PROTOHEADER element
> > should refer to a unique and existing HEADERSEQNUM attribute of
> > myTNSROTOHEADERENTRY element
> >
> > I guess I am again missing some minor trick and would graetly
> > appretiate if you could help out
> >
> > Thanks
> > Shyam

> >> --
> >> Stan Kitsis
> >> Program Manager, XML Technologies
> >> Microsoft Corporation

> >> rights.
> >> Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
> >>

> >> "shyam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

Priscilla Walmsley

Hi,

From your schema, it looks like PROTOHEADER is a grandchild of PROTODEF,
so you should use TWO slashes in your keyref selector, as in:

.//myTNSROTOHEADER

or you could use a more precise path:

myTNSROTOTABLE/myTNSROTOHEADER

Hope that helps,