Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Console / telnet port flaky?

Console / telnet port flaky?

Mike Voss

I have a used Cat 5005 running V 4.2. Everything works fine except
the console and telnet access. Sometimes the console port works,
sometimes it never responds. I am certain I have a good cable, etc.
so that's not the issue. Also odd is that sometimes I can telnet in,
other times I cannot. When I cannot telnet in, I can;t ping usually
either. All the while, I have 3 vlans up and running and all is fine
- I just can;t get access to the switch. Is there something i am
overlooking?? Maybe my supervisor module is bad?

Thanks

Andrey Tarasov

Hello, Mike!
You wrote on Thu, 20 Nov 2003 22:31:14 GMT:

MV> I have a used Cat 5005 running V 4.2. Everything works fine except the
MV> console and telnet access. Sometimes the console port works, sometimes
MV> it never responds. I am certain I have a good cable, etc.
MV> so that's not the issue. Also odd is that sometimes I can telnet in,
MV> other times I cannot. When I cannot telnet in, I can;t ping usually
MV> either. All the while, I have 3 vlans up and running and all is fine -
MV> I just can;t get access to the switch. Is there something i am
MV> overlooking?? Maybe my supervisor module is bad?

What the CPU load looks like on this switch? Could you post the output from
"show system" and "ps -c" commands?

With best regards,
Andrey.

Mike Voss

Good question - right now I cannot connect to get into it, but as soon
as I can I will post the load. I know it has been near nothing most
of the time (very few hosts connected to it - maybe 5), and I had the
problem before I even connected anything to it.