Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Text format output to an html file

Text format output to an html file

alves.carlos@gmail.com

Hello,

I have a bash script on linux that generates system information to an
ordinary text file. Now I want to get this information generated to an
html file.
I'll modify the script to create the links, etc, but there are some
output generated by system commands that will lose formatting when
opened by the browser.
How can I have a block of pure text on a html file without loosing the
formatting?

Thank you very much in advance.

Cheers

Dylan Sung

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hello,
>
> I have a bash script on linux that generates system information to an
> ordinary text file. Now I want to get this information generated to an
> html file.
> I'll modify the script to create the links, etc, but there are some
> output generated by system commands that will lose formatting when
> opened by the browser.
> How can I have a block of pure text on a html file without loosing the
> formatting?
>
> Thank you very much in advance.
>
> Cheers

Surround it with <PRE> tags usually does the trick.

Dyl.

Leonard Blaisdell

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,

> Hello,
>
> I have a bash script on linux that generates system information to an
> ordinary text file. Now I want to get this information generated to an
> html file.
> I'll modify the script to create the links, etc, but there are some
> output generated by system commands that will lose formatting when
> opened by the browser.
> How can I have a block of pure text on a html file without loosing the
> formatting?

Look at the PRE element
<http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/text.html#edef-PRE> unless I
misunderstand.

leo

--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>

alves.carlos@gmail.com

Thank you very much for your help. It was exactly what I was looking
for!

Cheers.