Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Create executable download

Create executable download

Googlie

I have an exe file on my web server that I need to be able to download.
When I link to it, it times out when you try to click on it. Is there
a piece of code that I am missing? Please help!

Thanks,
Googlie

tonnie

Googlie schreef:
> I have an exe file on my web server that I need to be able to download.
> When I link to it, it times out when you try to click on it. Is there
> a piece of code that I am missing? Please help!

Put it in a zip-file.

--
Website Design: http://vision2form.nl/websitedesign/
Being found: http://vision2form.nl/websitedesign/being-found.html

Toby Inkster

Googlie wrote:

> I have an exe file on my web server that I need to be able to download.
> When I link to it, it times out when you try to click on it. Is there
> a piece of code that I am missing? Please help!

If it's a Windows server, you may be accidentally executing the file on
the server via CGI!

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

cwdjrxyz

Googlie wrote:
> I have an exe file on my web server that I need to be able to download.
> When I link to it, it times out when you try to click on it. Is there
> a piece of code that I am missing? Please help!

Are you trying to download it with a browser or an ftp agent? There are
quite a few file types that will not download when using a browser,
including several types of media files. Sometimes one browser will work
and not another. Also there are several settings on servers and
browsers that can complicate things.

I have the best luck both downloading and uploading by using an ftp
agent. I am able to download .exe as well as many problem media files.
I use the CuteFTP Professional ftp agent which you have to buy, but I
believe you can find some free ones, and an ftp agent may be included
or is avaliable as a plugin for some browsers. My ftp agent does not
need any browser turned on, as it connects to your server directly.