Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > border-color: #003366; border-width: 2px;

border-color: #003366; border-width: 2px;

mbstevens

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 08:44:10 +1000, dorayme wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
> mbstevens <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> > No you weren't; you were suing it as a metaphor.

>> Does suing as a metaphor require an imaginary lawyer, or can
>> you just take it to the small claims court in Oz?

> As it so happens, there is just such a court down under here. Its
> lists are chocker block covering cases to do with the use of the
> apostrophe, similes and metaphors, the confusion between irony
> and sarcasm, and so on are piled up behind... I have appeared
> before it myself. I got off with a plea of being Alien.

<rofl> Visitor from Kansas, I presume.

Nikita the Spider

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
> mbstevens <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > No you weren't; you were suing it as a metaphor.

> > Does suing as a metaphor require an imaginary lawyer, or can
> > you just take it to the small claims court in Oz?

> As it so happens, there is just such a court down under here. Its
> lists are chocker block covering cases to do with the use of the
> apostrophe, similes and metaphors, the confusion between irony
> and sarcasm, and so on are piled up behind... I have appeared
> before it myself. I got off with a plea of being Alien.

In the USA we would say "chock-a-block" where you have written "chocker
block". Is your version an Oz spelling or are you due to be hauled up in
front of the court for assault of an idiom? =) I'm honestly interested
in the spelling; I'm fascinated by language in general and especially
the different varieties of English we've concocted.

Cheers

--
Philip
http://NikitaTheSpider.com/

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)
t.rr.com>,
Nikita the Spider <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In the USA we would say "chock-a-block" where you have written "chocker
> block". Is your version an Oz spelling or are you due to be hauled up in
> front of the court for assault of an idiom? =) I'm honestly interested
> in the spelling; I'm fascinated by language in general and especially
> the different varieties of English we've concocted.

Here it is often put that a full something (a container, a
cinema, whatever) "is chocker" or "is chockers". Simple as that.

--
dorayme

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, dorayme
<(E-Mail Removed)> declared in alt.html:

> Here it is often put that a full something (a container, a
> cinema, whatever) "is chocker" or "is chockers". Simple as that.

FWIW I would spell it chock-a-block, despite the use of "chockers".

--
Mark Parnell
My Usenet is improved; yours could be too:

Alan J. Flavell

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006, Mark Parnell wrote:

> FWIW I would spell it chock-a-block, despite the use of "chockers".

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-cho3.htm

It's a nautical term, apparently.

Nikita the Spider

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)
> t.rr.com>,
> Nikita the Spider <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > In the USA we would say "chock-a-block" where you have written "chocker
> > block". Is your version an Oz spelling or are you due to be hauled up in
> > front of the court for assault of an idiom? =) I'm honestly interested
> > in the spelling; I'm fascinated by language in general and especially
> > the different varieties of English we've concocted.

> Here it is often put that a full something (a container, a
> cinema, whatever) "is chocker" or "is chockers". Simple as that.

Gotcha. Thanks.

--
Philip
http://NikitaTheSpider.com/

Leonard Blaisdell

> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Here it is often put that a full something (a container, a
> > cinema, whatever) "is chocker" or "is chockers". Simple as that.

Yeah, but in Oz a barbecue is a barbie. Dog poop is a barkie. A crayfish
is a yabbie. A sheep is a jumbuck, and apparently Vegemite is a spread.
Chocker seems appropriate for full. I'll file it away for future
reference.

leo

--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Leonard Blaisdell
<(E-Mail Removed)> declared in alt.html:

> Yeah, but in Oz a barbecue is a barbie.

So?

> Dog poop is a barkie.

Eh? That's a new one to me. Around here a barkie is a (naturally) curled
up piece of bark which can be smoked. Very cool if you're 13 or so.

> A crayfish is a yabbie.

So?

> A sheep is a jumbuck,

Only in one song.

> and apparently Vegemite is a spread.

Awful stuff, really. Can't stand it myself, but the wife and kids like
it.

--
Mark Parnell
My Usenet is improved; yours could be too:
http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

dorayme

In article <kc1172nydp3x$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Mark Parnell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > and apparently Vegemite is a spread.

> Awful stuff, really. Can't stand it myself, but the wife and kids like
> it.

Too salty, Marmite is not salty enough, while Promite is just
right for one Martian bear at any rate...

--
dorayme

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Mark Parnell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> FWIW I would spell it chock-a-block, despite the use of "chockers".

How could this be anything but a misspelling?

--
dorayme