Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > border-color: #003366; border-width: 2px;

border-color: #003366; border-width: 2px;

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Martin_P=F6pping?=

Arne schrieb:

>> Damn, 5 usable (and duplicate) answers in 3 minutes, must be some kind of
>> record

> Guess it's an easy taks to solve.
> I just wanted to learn the OP to use the validators and find out the
> error by him self

Thanks. The HTML-Files i always generate with UltraEdit, but because of
I am not very close to the CSS syntax, I let Adobe GoLive CS 2.0
generating the CSS code for me. Seems to me that GL has to learn like me

Bye,
Martin

Y J Landro

Martin Pöpping <(E-Mail Removed)> skreiv Mon, 17 Jul 2006 23:26:47
+0200

> Wowww! Thanks a lot to all for your help!
>
> What a great newsgroup
>

> So maybe you could help me with my second curious IE problem.

Please make a new thread when changing subject.

<snipping stuff about IE failing to honour position:fixed>

IE won't recognise position:fixed AFAIK. Opera, FF and other modern
browsers do.

There are several hacks available to work around the problem. Google and
you'll find. Or do as I do, ignore IE ...

Y J Landro

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept, Y J Landro ((E-Mail Removed)) feverishly typed...

[...]
> Or do as I do, ignore IE ...

What a great idea!

Similar to the record shop I used to work in. We used to ignore 9 out of
every 10 customers who came in the shop, because we knew that the 10th
customer had great taste in music and would buy a really good quality
album[1]. Needless to say, the record shop is now closed...

Cheers,
Nige

[1] needless to say, I actually made that up. I was using it as a simile.
Obviously, we dealt with every customer equally, regardless of how ****
their taste in music was. We just bitched about them afterwards! It's
true about the shop being closed though

--
Nigel Moss http://www.nigenet.org.uk
Mail address will bounce. http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) | Take the DOG. out!

Y J Landro

nice.guy.nige <(E-Mail Removed)> skreiv Tue, 18 Jul 2006 01:47:57
+0200

> While the city slept, Y J Landro ((E-Mail Removed)) feverishly typed...
>
> [...]
>> Or do as I do, ignore IE ...

> What a great idea!
>
> Similar to the record shop I used to work in. We used to ignore 9 out of
> every 10 customers who came in the shop, because we knew that the 10th

<snip>

The discussion was about "position:fixed" and how IE dealt with it. If I
am not too mistaken, IE will treat position:fixed as position:absolute. I
can live with that.

In general, of course one cannot ignore the fact that the majority uses
IE. And if IE renders a page totally messed-up, one has to deal with it.

- Y J Landro

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, "nice.guy.nige"
<(E-Mail Removed)> vouchsafed:

>> Or do as I do, ignore IE ...

> What a great idea!
>
> Similar to the record shop I used to work in. We used to ignore 9 out of
> every 10 customers who came in the shop, because we knew that the 10th
> customer had great taste in music and would buy a really good quality
> album[1]. Needless to say, the record shop is now closed...
>
> Cheers,
> Nige
>
> [1] needless to say, I actually made that up.

Never would've guessed...

> I was using it as a simile.

Oh.

> Obviously, we dealt with every customer equally, regardless of how ****
> their taste in music was. We just bitched about them afterwards! It's
> true about the shop being closed though

They probably didn't appreciate the similes.

--
Neredbojias
Infinity has its limits.

Nikita the Spider

In article <op.tcu126m1k9qmtn@latitude>,
"Y J Landro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> The discussion was about "position:fixed" and how IE dealt with it. If I
> am not too mistaken, IE will treat position:fixed as position:absolute. I
> can live with that.

ISTR that IE doesn't just treat position:fixed as position:absolute but
instead mishandles it rather badly. What's working for me is to add this
to my HTML:

<!--[if lt IE 7]>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="ie.css">
<![endif]-->

And then in ie.css I add rules to override position:fixed with this:
position: absolute ! important;

See my sig for a live example.

I think I've read that IE7 supports position:fixed but I have not tested
it myself.

Cheers

--
Philip
http://NikitaTheSpider.com/

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept, Nikita the Spider ((E-Mail Removed))
feverishly typed...

[...]

> I think I've read that IE7 supports position:fixed but I have not
> tested it myself.

That would be you *and* Microsoft then I'm guessing!

Cheers,
Nige

--
Nigel Moss http://www.nigenet.org.uk
Mail address will bounce. (E-Mail Removed) | Take the DOG. out!

Andy Mabbett

In message <44bc21a3$0$17955$(E-Mail Removed) ews.net>,
nice.guy.nige <(E-Mail Removed)> writes

>Similar to the record shop I used to work in. We used to ignore 9 out
>of every 10 customers who came in the shop, because we knew that the
>10th customer had great taste in music and would buy a really good
>quality album[1]. Needless to say, the record shop is now closed...

>[1] needless to say, I actually made that up. I was using it as a
>simile.

No you weren't; you were suing it as a metaphor.
--
Andy Mabbett
Say "NO!" to compulsory ID Cards: <http://www.no2id.net/>

Free Our Data: <http://www.freeourdata.org.uk>

mbstevens

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 07:53:33 +0100, Andy Mabbett wrote:

>>[1] needless to say, I actually made that up. I was using it as a
>>simile.

> No you weren't; you were suing it as a metaphor.

Does suing as a metaphor require an imaginary lawyer, or can
you just take it to the small claims court in Oz?

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
mbstevens <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 07:53:33 +0100, Andy Mabbett wrote:
>
> >>[1] needless to say, I actually made that up. I was using it as a
> >>simile.

> > No you weren't; you were suing it as a metaphor.

> Does suing as a metaphor require an imaginary lawyer, or can
> you just take it to the small claims court in Oz?

As it so happens, there is just such a court down under here. Its
lists are chocker block covering cases to do with the use of the
apostrophe, similes and metaphors, the confusion between irony
and sarcasm, and so on are piled up behind... I have appeared
before it myself. I got off with a plea of being Alien.

--
dorayme