Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > HTTP Referrer header

Reply
Thread Tools

HTTP Referrer header

 
 
SomeGroup
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-16-2006
Hi all,

Is there a way in HTML to set the value for the Referrer header that
gets sent along with the HTTP request?

I have tried the following

<meta http-equiv="Referrer" content="some URL"/>

However, this didn't work. Any ideas on how this can be achieved.

TIA

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Safalra
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-16-2006
On 16 Jul 2006 08:39:18 -0700, SomeGroup wrote:
> Is there a way in HTML to set the value for the Referrer header that
> gets sent along with the HTTP request?
>
> I have tried the following
>
> <meta http-equiv="Referrer" content="some URL"/>
>
> However, this didn't work. Any ideas on how this can be achieved.


This is a browser feature, and any polite browser will send the correct
header (although various 'security' tools will override this with a fake
referer). If you explain what you are trying to achieve we may be able to
offer assistance (unless you're trying to get round anti-hotlinking code,
in which case you'll likely to be flamed).

--
Safalra (Stephen Morley)
http://www.safalra.com/hypertext/
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Harlan Messinger
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-16-2006
SomeGroup wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is there a way in HTML to set the value for the Referrer header that
> gets sent along with the HTTP request?
>
> I have tried the following
>
> <meta http-equiv="Referrer" content="some URL"/>
>
> However, this didn't work. Any ideas on how this can be achieved.


I don't know if it can be changed like this, but if it can, it'll
involve using the correct (though incorrectly spelled) name of the
header: "Referer".
 
Reply With Quote
 
Toby Inkster
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-18-2006
SomeGroup wrote:

> <meta http-equiv="Referrer" content="some URL"/>


Firstly it's "Referer"; it's missing an 'r', but that's part of the spec
unfortunately!

Secondly, the referer is one of the HTTP *request* headers, but http-equiv
is supposed to be equivalent to an HTTP *response* header.

As others have said, please explain what the *problem* is; not your failed
attempt at a solution.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
Contact Me ~ http://tobyinkster.co.uk/contact

 
Reply With Quote
 
SomeGroup
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-18-2006
I am trying to write my own login page and deploy on server x for an
website running on a different domain and different server y. I have
tried to populate the same form variables as the server y's login page
does.

However, because of the referer property, the logins are not accepted
from my login page. I am trying this just to see if it works. Please
let me know any ideas on how this can be achieved

Thanks

Toby Inkster wrote:

> SomeGroup wrote:
>
> > <meta http-equiv="Referrer" content="some URL"/>

>
> Firstly it's "Referer"; it's missing an 'r', but that's part of the spec
> unfortunately!
>
> Secondly, the referer is one of the HTTP *request* headers, but http-equiv
> is supposed to be equivalent to an HTTP *response* header.
>
> As others have said, please explain what the *problem* is; not your failed
> attempt at a solution.
>
> --
> Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
> Contact Me ~ http://tobyinkster.co.uk/contact


 
Reply With Quote
 
Toby Inkster
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-18-2006
SomeGroup wrote:

> I am trying to write my own login page and deploy on server x for an
> website running on a different domain and different server y. I have
> tried to populate the same form variables as the server y's login page
> does.
>
> However, because of the referer property, the logins are not accepted
> from my login page.


The login script on server Y needs adjusting to accept logins from server
X (or better still, from everywhere).

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
Contact Me ~ http://tobyinkster.co.uk/contact

 
Reply With Quote
 
varmansk varmansk is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3
 
      11-27-2008
Hi could any one please help me regarding similar problem When visitors hit ww.test.com they are automatically redirected to ww.test.com/en and referrer information is lost while redirecting to en could any one provide an alternative redirect method that preserves the HTTP referrer

PLZ help me this is an Urgent
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Net::HTTP#post_form - setting user agent, referrer? Joe Ruby 5 09-21-2007 01:34 PM
HTTP Referrer header Suman Javascript 1 07-16-2006 04:01 PM
HTTP Referrer questions Chumley the Walrus ASP General 1 07-17-2004 08:33 PM
setting http-referrer using LWP::Simple? Peder Ydalus Perl Misc 1 01-28-2004 02:59 AM
Need webpage only from HTTP-REFERRER Joey Martin ASP General 1 07-08-2003 08:58 PM



Advertisments