Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Test Please: Ancient Greek Unix Fonts??

Test Please: Ancient Greek Unix Fonts??

Andrew

Hi,

I have set a small sample of Ancient Greek that I was hoping an
obliging Linux user and an obliging Mac user could have a look at to
see if it renders ok. Screen capture would be great:

http://www.andrews-corner.org/ancien...html#greektest

I have tentatively set the fonts for the Greek at:

Windows: "palatino linotype", "Vusillus Old Face" ,Vusillus,"Arial
Unicode MS",

Macintosh:"Lucida Grande",

Linux: Porson, "Athena Unicode", Gentium;

Windows and Mac should be ok but I am definitely not sure about the
choice and order of the Unix fonts.

Thanks to anybody who can help!

Andrew.
--

Andrew
http://www.andrews-corner.org/

carolyn

Andrew wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have set a small sample of Ancient Greek that I was hoping an
> obliging Linux user and an obliging Mac user could have a look at to
> see if it renders ok. Screen capture would be great:

Here is the screen capture. I hope it helps!

http://www.marenger.com/provinggroun...reekSample.png

Carolyn
--
Carolyn Marenger

Dave Kelly

Andrew wrote:
Linspire 5.059 - Gem Monitor - resolution 1280 x 1024

http://home.earthlink.net/~daveekelly/report-420012.png

Sally Thompson

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 12:54:33 +0100, Andrew wrote
(in article <(E-Mail Removed)>):

> Hi,
>
> I have set a small sample of Ancient Greek that I was hoping an
> obliging Linux user and an obliging Mac user could have a look at to
> see if it renders ok. Screen capture would be great:
>
> http://www.andrews-corner.org/ancien...html#greektest
>
> I have tentatively set the fonts for the Greek at:
>
> Windows: "palatino linotype", "Vusillus Old Face" ,Vusillus,"Arial
> Unicode MS",
>
> Macintosh:"Lucida Grande",
>
> Linux: Porson, "Athena Unicode", Gentium;
>
> Windows and Mac should be ok but I am definitely not sure about the
> choice and order of the Unix fonts.

Here you are Andrew. All on a Mac:
http://www.sallysweb.co.uk/andrewfirefox.jpg
http://www.sallysweb.co.uk/andrewopera.jpg
http://www.sallysweb.co.uk/andrewcamino.jpg
http://www.sallysweb.co.uk/andrewsafari.jpg

No doubt you can guess which browser is which and they all render the
Greek script OK.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk

Jukka K. Korpela

Andrew <sorry.no.email@post_NG.com> scripsit:

> I have set a small sample of Ancient Greek that I was hoping an
> obliging Linux user and an obliging Mac user could have a look at to
> see if it renders ok. Screen capture would be great:
>
> http://www.andrews-corner.org/ancien...html#greektest

- -
> Windows and Mac should be ok

Well, using Windows, I can see all the characters, but I'm not
typographically happy with the appearance. The text seems to get displayed
in Palatino Linotype, which looks partly odd. Some letters (especially
lowercase alpha but also epsilon, pi and omega) are slanted, as if they were
in italics, whereas many other characters are quite upright. This creates a
somewhat unpleasant, if not slightly nauseating effect.

I don't have any suggestion for improvement, since Arial Unicode MS is even
worse for Greek, and there aren't many other fonts that support all of
polytonic Greek.

Maybe this is one of the cases where it would be best to let the user make
the choice, even though this often means that the choice is chosen more or
less "randomly" (the user accepts what he sees, at least unless it's really
bad) and may even involve a mixture of fonts. I'm not sure whether an
author's guess would generally be an improvement.

--
Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Toby Inkster

Andrew wrote:

> http://www.andrews-corner.org/ancien...html#greektest

Opera 9, Linux:
http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/it...reek_to_me.png

> I have tentatively set the fonts for the Greek at:
> Linux: Porson, "Athena Unicode", Gentium;

I don't have any of those fonts on my system -- the text in question seems
to render in "Palatino Linotype". A better choice would probably be
"Bitstream Vera Sans" which has a good Greek repetoire and is almost
universally included with recent Linux distributions. Feel free to put it
right at the front of your font list as virtually no Windows or Mac
machines will have it installed.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Andrew

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 09:45:02 -0400, carolyn <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Andrew wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have set a small sample of Ancient Greek that I was hoping an
>> obliging Linux user and an obliging Mac user could have a look at to
>> see if it renders ok. Screen capture would be great:

>Here is the screen capture. I hope it helps!
>
>http://www.marenger.com/provinggroun...reekSample.png
>
>Carolyn

Hi Carolyn,

Thanks very much for that! Your browser actually broke the text, so I
have a little more work to do! Looks like it spat the dummy with every
single accent and breathing mark and placed a box instead.

"Bitstream Vera Sans" has been suggested to me so I have added this in
the hope that the Linux browsers will have a bit more success

If you have the time, and I know I am pushing it a little here, can
you have one more look for me with the new font added?

Thanks very much for your trouble,

Andrew.
--

Andrew
http://www.andrews-corner.org/

Andrew

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 15:16:27 GMT, Dave Kelly
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Andrew wrote:
>Linspire 5.059 - Gem Monitor - resolution 1280 x 1024
>

>http://home.earthlink.net/~daveekelly/report-420012.png

Hi Dave,

Thanks very much for that. I could not quite identify the OS you are
using from the screenshot? Renders the Greek text perfectly though.

Thanks for your trouble,

Andrew.
--

Andrew
http://www.andrews-corner.org/

Andrew

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 18:47:48 +0100, Sally Thompson <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 12:54:33 +0100, Andrew wrote
>(in article <(E-Mail Removed)>):
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have set a small sample of Ancient Greek that I was hoping an
>> obliging Linux user and an obliging Mac user could have a look at to
>> see if it renders ok. Screen capture would be great:
>>
>> http://www.andrews-corner.org/ancien...html#greektest
>>
>> I have tentatively set the fonts for the Greek at:
>>
>> Windows: "palatino linotype", "Vusillus Old Face" ,Vusillus,"Arial
>> Unicode MS",
>>
>> Macintosh:"Lucida Grande",
>>
>> Linux: Porson, "Athena Unicode", Gentium;
>>
>> Windows and Mac should be ok but I am definitely not sure about the
>> choice and order of the Unix fonts.
>>

>Here you are Andrew. All on a Mac:
>http://www.sallysweb.co.uk/andrewfirefox.jpg
>http://www.sallysweb.co.uk/andrewopera.jpg
>http://www.sallysweb.co.uk/andrewcamino.jpg
>http://www.sallysweb.co.uk/andrewsafari.jpg
>
>No doubt you can guess which browser is which and they all render the
>Greek script OK.

Hi Sally,

Thanks for that very comprehensive set of captures!! Looks like Mac &
Windows are ok, just a few nagging problems with Linux. I am trying to
avoid pdf greek texts which I have used before, it is just a bit
tricky makinig the Greek readable on all OSs.

Thanks very much,

Andrew.
--

Andrew
http://www.andrews-corner.org/

Andrew

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 23:15:31 +0300, "Jukka K. Korpela"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Andrew <sorry.no.email@post_NG.com> scripsit:
>
>> I have set a small sample of Ancient Greek that I was hoping an
>> obliging Linux user and an obliging Mac user could have a look at to
>> see if it renders ok. Screen capture would be great:
>>
>> http://www.andrews-corner.org/ancien...html#greektest

>- -
>> Windows and Mac should be ok

>Well, using Windows, I can see all the characters, but I'm not
>typographically happy with the appearance. The text seems to get displayed
>in Palatino Linotype, which looks partly odd. Some letters (especially
>lowercase alpha but also epsilon, pi and omega) are slanted, as if they were
>in italics, whereas many other characters are quite upright. This creates a
>somewhat unpleasant, if not slightly nauseating effect.
>
>I don't have any suggestion for improvement, since Arial Unicode MS is even
>worse for Greek, and there aren't many other fonts that support all of
>polytonic Greek.
>
>Maybe this is one of the cases where it would be best to let the user make
>the choice, even though this often means that the choice is chosen more or
>less "randomly" (the user accepts what he sees, at least unless it's really
>bad) and may even involve a mixture of fonts. I'm not sure whether an
>author's guess would generally be an improvement.

Hi Jukka,

Thanks very much for your comments. Palatino Linotype unfortunately
is the most widely available and clearest of fonts for Ancient Greek
in the Windows OS. I agree totally with the slanting effect seen to
the font, have a look at a well established Ancient Greek site that
uses Palatino Linotype, same effect:

http://www.mikrosapoplous.gr/eyriped...ea/medeae1.htm

Oddly enough this site specifies Verdana for the Modern Greek
translation but this renders the accents poorly and there are no
breathing marks.

Still a battle to render Ancient Greek well I guess,

Thanks for your trouble,

Andrew.
--

Andrew