Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > cleaning up html code

cleaning up html code

edgy

Hi,

because I've been trying to prepare a long table of information from an
Excel file for the Web, I've used a number of editors to work on the list
(well, Excel, Word, and NVU). I guess, looking back, this was a bad idea as
the code is now an absolute mess - the text sizes are all over the place
(i.e. will look fine in any of the editors but then multiple sizes in a web
browser).

Specifically, one of the programs seems to have inserted <h2> </h2> around
about half of the entries (lets say about 100). There are also some other
size-related codes inserted that I'd like to remove. NVU has an option to
remove all style info, but there are links, anchors, and bold/italics
information that I don't want to lose. Without hand-deleting all this
business, is there a (text-editing or html) program that has functions like

delete all occurances of the following "<h2>

?

thanks for any advice.

Jonathan N. Little

edgy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> because I've been trying to prepare a long table of information from an
> Excel file for the Web, I've used a number of editors to work on the list
> (well, Excel, Word, and NVU). I guess, looking back, this was a bad idea as
> the code is now an absolute mess - the text sizes are all over the place
> (i.e. will look fine in any of the editors but then multiple sizes in a web
> browser).
>
> Specifically, one of the programs seems to have inserted <h2> </h2> around
> about half of the entries (lets say about 100). There are also some other
> size-related codes inserted that I'd like to remove. NVU has an option to
> remove all style info, but there are links, anchors, and bold/italics
> information that I don't want to lose. Without hand-deleting all this
> business, is there a (text-editing or html) program that has functions like
>
> delete all occurances of the following "<h2>

All the miracle tool "search and replace" on just about every text
editor. Search for "<h2>" replace with "" then search for "</h2>"
replace with "". Very low-tech...

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

edgy

"Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:48a04$44afe41f$40cba7c8$(E-Mail Removed)...
> edgy wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> because I've been trying to prepare a long table of information from an
>> Excel file for the Web, I've used a number of editors to work on the list
>> (well, Excel, Word, and NVU). I guess, looking back, this was a bad idea
>> as the code is now an absolute mess - the text sizes are all over the
>> place (i.e. will look fine in any of the editors but then multiple sizes
>> in a web browser).
>>
>> Specifically, one of the programs seems to have inserted <h2> </h2>
>> around about half of the entries (lets say about 100). There are also
>> some other size-related codes inserted that I'd like to remove. NVU has
>> an option to remove all style info, but there are links, anchors, and
>> bold/italics information that I don't want to lose. Without
>> hand-deleting all this business, is there a (text-editing or html)
>> program that has functions like
>>
>> delete all occurances of the following "<h2>
>>

> All the miracle tool "search and replace" on just about every text editor.
> Search for "<h2>" replace with "" then search for "</h2>" replace with "".
> Very low-tech...
>
> --
> Take care,
>
> Jonathan