Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > placing IDS??

placing IDS??

Dong Lee

Hi,

We have two routers and one layer3 switch running BGP. They are fully
meshed and wired with fiber.
Now we are trying to put IDS between two routers and switch, but we have a
little problem how we are going to do this. We can't connect both routers
to IDS since IDS only allow single connection.
So We gave it a thought and came up with one idea, but we are not sure
whether if it works or not..

We thought of putting cisco 3550-12g as below,

Router1--------Router2
- -
- -
- -
Cisco 3550
-
-
IDS
-
-
Switch

The idea is to make Cisco3550 switch passive and connect router1 and
router2 to have single point.

Will this work??

Thank you

chris

That will work

Brian V

Cisco IDS does NOT go in between devices, it is not a pass thru device. It
uses a monitor port. Simply span the 2 ports that the 2 routers are plugged
into to the monitor port. Presto, your done.
-Brian
news(E-Mail Removed)...