Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Transparent images!

Transparent images!

STUART ESSOM

Hi

im trying to make various images on my page transparent.

Im using the htm:
style="filter:alpha(opacity=50) "

I wanna make my background image transparent but the rest of the images on
the page not transparent.

Anybody help?

Stuart

David

STUART ESSOM wrote:
> Hi
>
> im trying to make various images on my page transparent.
>
> Im using the htm:
> style="filter:alpha(opacity=50) "
>
> I wanna make my background image transparent but the rest of the images on
> the page not transparent.
>
> Anybody help?
>
> Stuart

Use a graphic program to make them transparent??

JDS

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 21:11:20 +0000, STUART ESSOM wrote:

> style="filter:alpha(opacity=50) "

Warning warning! Using single-browser code!

Transparency is one area where the browsers have not quite all caught up
to the (available, standards-based) ways of doing things.

What effect are you trying to acheive? Describe in words, without
technical (i.e.[1] specific code) details. Then maybe someone here can
help you figure it out.

Not me though! I hate[2] transparency, and I think it creates more
problems than it is worth.

There are a number of ways to split this cat, but "filter:alpha()" is not
it, IMO.

[1]ha! no pun intended.
[2] Actually, I think transparency is really neat. I just think it has no
place in GUIs, menus, web pages, etc. It is okay as a transitional effect,
or as an artistic effect, though.

--
JDS | http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
| http://www.newtnotes.com

dorayme

In article <YlXog.239509$(E-Mail Removed)> ,
"STUART ESSOM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I wanna make my background image transparent but the rest of the images on
> the page not transparent.

You want to see through a background image? What will you see?
Your cat behind the monitor?

--
dorayme

cwdjrxyz

STUART ESSOM wrote:
> Hi
>
> im trying to make various images on my page transparent.
>
> Im using the htm:
> style="filter:alpha(opacity=50) "
>
> I wanna make my background image transparent but the rest of the images on
> the page not transparent.

I am not exactly sure what you want to do, but the code you use mainly
works on IE browsers and close relatives and not most other recent
browsers. It is possible to create some transparency effects that work
on most recent browsers by using javascript to write the css code to
draw vertical and/or horizontal grids of very fine lines that can be
colored, if desired. It is also possible to vary the color along the
grid lines to give a color gradient, if desired. For an example, see
http://www.cwdjr.info/dhtml/7veilsDance3.html . This page also has
sound if you have the WMP installed. In case you are on low speed
dialup, you may have to let the page play through and cache before the
dialup connection can keep up with it. This page was designed more as a
media toy than a general web page, so I was mainly concerned with
broadband response. The music files likely are the main thing that
would slow it down on dialup.

STUART ESSOM

"JDS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed) d...
> On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 21:11:20 +0000, STUART ESSOM wrote:
>
> > style="filter:alpha(opacity=50) "

> Warning warning! Using single-browser code!
>
> Transparency is one area where the browsers have not quite all caught up
> to the (available, standards-based) ways of doing things.
>
> What effect are you trying to acheive? Describe in words, without
> technical (i.e.[1] specific code) details. Then maybe someone here can
> help you figure it out.

Thanks for the warning

I actually got this piece of code from www.dynamicdrive.com which I find is
always usual for things like this.

"JDS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed) d...

> What effect are you trying to acheive? Describe in words, without
> technical (i.e.[1] specific code) details. Then maybe someone here can
> help you figure it out.

Yes, I should have been more specific.

The page i am dealing with is actually a 'floating frame' and I want the
background image to be transparent so that you can see the background image
of its parent page behind it.

Then i need others images on the page to be transparent (to a different
degree) so that you see both backgrounds behind them!!!

Confused!!!! ))

I guess what is want it type of a layer thing going on!

Please help somebody. )

Stuart

STUART ESSOM

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <YlXog.239509$(E-Mail Removed)> ,
> "STUART ESSOM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I wanna make my background image transparent but the rest of the images

on
> > the page not transparent.

> You want to see through a background image? What will you see?
> Your cat behind the monitor?
>
> --
> dorayme

Its actually the page that forms a floating table.... so there IS something
to see behind it.... the background of its parent page.

But yes, my cat dose sleep behind my moniter. I'll have to stop her from
doing that. Im sure it's not safe. )

STUART ESSOM

"cwdjrxyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> STUART ESSOM wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > im trying to make various images on my page transparent.
> >
> > Im using the htm:
> > style="filter:alpha(opacity=50) "
> >
> > I wanna make my background image transparent but the rest of the images

on
> > the page not transparent.

> I am not exactly sure what you want to do, but the code you use mainly
> works on IE browsers and close relatives and not most other recent
> browsers. It is possible to create some transparency effects that work
> on most recent browsers by using javascript to write the css code to
> draw vertical and/or horizontal grids of very fine lines that can be
> colored, if desired. It is also possible to vary the color along the
> grid lines to give a color gradient, if desired. For an example, see
> http://www.cwdjr.info/dhtml/7veilsDance3.html .

Hey, thanks. That page looks great. And i have broadband so i got the whole
effect.

Not sure that it can help me in what im trying to do though.

dorayme

In article <uY6pg.247910$(E-Mail Removed)> ,
"STUART ESSOM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Its actually the page that forms a floating table.... so there IS something
> to see behind it.... the background of its parent page.
>
> But yes, my cat dose sleep behind my moniter. I'll have to stop her from
> doing that. Im sure it's not safe. )

I caught my cat on top of the CRT once and I had to put wire
there to deter her... I didn't want her hairs or worse [1]
falling thru the top grill... But I understood, it was nice and
warm...

Look, why not just set the background to things other than the
HTML or body to transparent and use transparent gifs.. they work
well enough....

-----------
[1] What is worse, I hear you ask? Vomiting up usually because of
a fur ball...

--
dorayme

Harlan Messinger

STUART ESSOM wrote:

> Its actually the page that forms a floating table.... so there IS something
> to see behind it.... the background of its parent page.

What do you mean by a "page that forms a floating table" and "parent page"?

transparent www proxy - port forwarding with 3660 Enrico Gloeckner Cisco 2 11-29-2003 02:51 PM
transparent mode and pix Tony Cisco 1 11-27-2003 07:20 PM
transparent www proxy - pix port forwarding Enrico Gloeckner Cisco 1 11-09-2003 05:53 PM
Transparent Bridging Problem, HELP! John Cisco 0 11-09-2003 01:05 AM
wccp 3550emi and Cacheflow 800 - transparent caching redirection news.tm.net.my Cisco 0 07-17-2003 02:48 AM

Advertisments