Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Acrobat.exe stays loaded after leaving .pdf pages

Acrobat.exe stays loaded after leaving .pdf pages

Ioannis

I am using Windows XP Home edition SP1 fully patched. Everytime I click on a
..pdf link, IE 6 loads the page correctly, (probably by using the Acrobat
Reader plugin) and displays fine. But when I quit the .pdf file, either as a
result of clicking on a new link or moving onto a different web location,
looking at TaskManager, a process "Acrobat.exe", continues being loaded into
memory, occupying around 12 Megabytes, subsequently slowing my system down.

If I shut it down manually from TaskManager, all is ok. Question is, is
there a way to have this process (Acrobat.exe) unload automatically whenever
I move away from a .pdf page or is it some sort of XP glitch that's
unavoidable to always have it loaded automatically on every visit to a .pdf
link?

Many thanks in advance,
--
Ioannis

Benjamin Niemann

Ioannis wrote:

> I am using Windows XP Home edition SP1 fully patched. Everytime I click on
> a .pdf link, IE 6 loads the page correctly, (probably by using the Acrobat
> Reader plugin) and displays fine. But when I quit the .pdf file, either as
> a result of clicking on a new link or moving onto a different web
> location, looking at TaskManager, a process "Acrobat.exe", continues being
> loaded into memory, occupying around 12 Megabytes, subsequently slowing my
> system down.
>
> If I shut it down manually from TaskManager, all is ok. Question is, is
> there a way to have this process (Acrobat.exe) unload automatically
> whenever I move away from a .pdf page or is it some sort of XP glitch
> that's unavoidable to always have it loaded automatically on every visit
> to a .pdf link?

This behaviour is intentional. Startup time of the acrobat plugin is
annoyingly long, so it tries to reduce it a bit (for the second and later
usage) by staying around in memory.
There may be an option in acrobats preferences to disable this "feature".
But this is really a question for Adobe support and has nothing to do with
HTML...

--
Benjamin Niemann
Email: pink at odahoda dot de

Ed Mullen

Ioannis wrote:
> I am using Windows XP Home edition SP1 fully patched. Everytime I click on a
> .pdf link, IE 6 loads the page correctly, (probably by using the Acrobat
> Reader plugin) and displays fine. But when I quit the .pdf file, either as a
> result of clicking on a new link or moving onto a different web location,
> looking at TaskManager, a process "Acrobat.exe", continues being loaded into
> memory, occupying around 12 Megabytes, subsequently slowing my system down.
>
> If I shut it down manually from TaskManager, all is ok. Question is, is
> there a way to have this process (Acrobat.exe) unload automatically whenever
> I move away from a .pdf page or is it some sort of XP glitch that's
> unavoidable to always have it loaded automatically on every visit to a .pdf
> link?
>
> Many thanks in advance,

This was a problem with pre-version 7 of Acrobat. I don't think it does
that anymore. Ref: http://mozilla.edmullen.net/moz_pdf.html

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Ioannis" <(E-Mail Removed)>
writing in news:1151354289.837293@athnrd02:

> I am using Windows XP Home edition SP1 fully patched. Everytime I
> click on a .pdf link, IE 6 loads the page correctly, (probably by
> using the Acrobat Reader plugin) and displays fine. But when I quit
> the .pdf file, either as a result of clicking on a new link or moving
> onto a different web location, looking at TaskManager, a process
> "Acrobat.exe", continues being loaded into memory, occupying around 12
> Megabytes, subsequently slowing my system down.
>
> If I shut it down manually from TaskManager, all is ok. Question is,
> is there a way to have this process (Acrobat.exe) unload automatically
> whenever I move away from a .pdf page or is it some sort of XP glitch
> that's unavoidable to always have it loaded automatically on every
> visit to a .pdf link?
>
> Many thanks in advance,

I don't like Adobe, and I almost never open something in a browser
window. I have my browsers configured to download and then I view it
later, at my convenience.

Adobe also has a nasty habit, as does RealPlayer and a few others, of
always wanting to load itself on startup. I look at PDF's less than once
every three months, why do I need something sitting in memory?

Go over to Mike Lin's page <http://www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml> and
get Startup Monitor, and some of the other goodies. I cannot say enough
good things about StartUp Monitor. It prevents all sorts of nastys from
starting up, especially those that you never knew where doing that in the
first place.

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services

Jonathan N. Little

Adrienne Boswell wrote:
> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Ioannis" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> writing in news:1151354289.837293@athnrd02:
>
>> I am using Windows XP Home edition SP1 fully patched. Everytime I
>> click on a .pdf link, IE 6 loads the page correctly, (probably by
>> using the Acrobat Reader plugin) and displays fine. But when I quit
>> the .pdf file, either as a result of clicking on a new link or moving
>> onto a different web location, looking at TaskManager, a process
>> "Acrobat.exe", continues being loaded into memory, occupying around 12
>> Megabytes, subsequently slowing my system down.
>>
>> If I shut it down manually from TaskManager, all is ok. Question is,
>> is there a way to have this process (Acrobat.exe) unload automatically
>> whenever I move away from a .pdf page or is it some sort of XP glitch
>> that's unavoidable to always have it loaded automatically on every
>> visit to a .pdf link?
>>
>> Many thanks in advance,

> I don't like Adobe, and I almost never open something in a browser
> window. I have my browsers configured to download and then I view it
> later, at my convenience.
>
> Adobe also has a nasty habit, as does RealPlayer and a few others, of
> always wanting to load itself on startup. I look at PDF's less than once
> every three months, why do I need something sitting in memory?

So does MS Office and a host of many other programs. A windows user
should come accustomed to deleting shortcuts in the 'Startup' folder.
Also 'msconfig' is your friend (if you do not feel comfortable doing a
little registry editing)...

As to RealPlayer and their ilk, they also have a nasty habit of becoming
your *default* media player even if you try to configure them not to. I
use the freeware RealAlternative and QuicktimeAlternative plugins, get
the codec without the crap!

--
Take care,

Jonathan