Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Numeric CSS class - Firefox complains but Opera OK

Numeric CSS class - Firefox complains but Opera OK

john@starmarkassociates.co.uk

For the record (in case anyone in future hits the same problem):

Firefox (1.5.0.4) raised an error on a page in my frameset:
"Selector expected. Ruleset ignored due to bad selector."

I could find no relevant documentation or newsgroup comment on this
error, and the line-number specified as causing the problem was about
10 more than the last line on the page.

Only some miserable trial-and-error eventually identified the problem -
a CSS class named ".800" defined within the page. The problem - having
a leading numeral - is so very easily solved once identified.

Interestingly, Opera (8,54 Build 7730) had no problems with it.

John Geddes
England

Jonathan N. Little

> For the record (in case anyone in future hits the same problem):
>
> Firefox (1.5.0.4) raised an error on a page in my frameset:
> "Selector expected. Ruleset ignored due to bad selector."
>
> I could find no relevant documentation or newsgroup comment on this
> error, and the line-number specified as causing the problem was about
> 10 more than the last line on the page.
>
> Only some miserable trial-and-error eventually identified the problem -
> a CSS class named ".800" defined within the page. The problem - having
> a leading numeral - is so very easily solved once identified.
>
> Interestingly, Opera (8,54 Build 7730) had no problems with it.

See the spec:

http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/syndata.html#q6

...."they cannot start with a digit."

A class name '800' is not valid.