Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Background image disappearing

Reply
Thread Tools

Background image disappearing

 
 
Nik Coughlin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-22-2006
Hi,

I have this page that I am working on about 3 column layouts with rounded
corners, alpha etc.

http://www.nrkn.com/3ColRoundAlpha/

It's unfinished, but while testing I've noticed something strange. I have
taken some screenshots to illustrate this:

http://www.nrkn.com/3ColRoundAlpha/problem/

The page looks like I expect it to under IE, Opera and Firefox (6/7,
8.54/9b, 1.5) *locally*.

Just in Firefox though, something weird happens. If I minimise and then
restore Firefox while on the local copy of the page, all the parts of the
page that have a png with alpha transparency become darker except for the
png which is the background for the right-hand side of boxes, which looks
normal.

Now, if I upload the exact directory structure to my website and view it
with *any* browser, the right-hand background mentioned above is missing
entirely.

Is it just me or does it look like that to everyone else too?

Big WTF!

First, what's this weird thing that FF is doing? Something to do with the
gamma in the png or something? Weird.

Second, what's different about the right-hand background? It doesn't
trigger the gamma-bug thing mentioned above in FF and you can't see the
background at all in any browser.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-22-2006
In article <e7d2cc$9ab$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Nik Coughlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Is it just me or does it look like that to everyone else too?


Looks like this to me on Safari (unwanted lines...)

http://members.optusnet.com.au/hewaj...RoundAlpha.png

--
dorayme
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Nik Coughlin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-22-2006
dorayme wrote:
> In article <e7d2cc$9ab$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Nik Coughlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Is it just me or does it look like that to everyone else too?

>
> Looks like this to me on Safari (unwanted lines...)
>
> http://members.optusnet.com.au/hewaj...RoundAlpha.png


That's not nice. I'll have to come back to that one. Do you also see the
missing background image on the last two examples? It happens in *every*
browser so it has to be my fault


 
Reply With Quote
 
Nik Coughlin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-22-2006
dorayme wrote:
> In article <e7d2cc$9ab$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Nik Coughlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Is it just me or does it look like that to everyone else too?

>
> Looks like this to me on Safari (unwanted lines...)
>
> http://members.optusnet.com.au/hewaj...RoundAlpha.png


That's not nice. I'll have to come back to that one. Do you also see the
missing background image on the last two examples? It happens in *every*
browser so it has to be my fault





 
Reply With Quote
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-22-2006
In article <449a2403$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Nik Coughlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> dorayme wrote:
> > In article <e7d2cc$9ab$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > "Nik Coughlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> Is it just me or does it look like that to everyone else too?

> >
> > Looks like this to me on Safari (unwanted lines...)
> >
> > http://members.optusnet.com.au/hewaj...RoundAlpha.png

>
> That's not nice. I'll have to come back to that one. Do you also see the
> missing background image on the last two examples? It happens in *every*
> browser so it has to be my fault


Yes, there are missing bgs at various points...

--
dorayme
 
Reply With Quote
 
Blinky the Shark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-22-2006
Nik Coughlin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have this page that I am working on about 3 column layouts with rounded
> corners, alpha etc.
>
> http://www.nrkn.com/3ColRoundAlpha/
>
> It's unfinished, but while testing I've noticed something strange. I have
> taken some screenshots to illustrate this:
>
> http://www.nrkn.com/3ColRoundAlpha/problem/
>
> The page looks like I expect it to under IE, Opera and Firefox (6/7,
> 8.54/9b, 1.5) *locally*.
>
> Just in Firefox though, something weird happens. If I minimise and then
> restore Firefox while on the local copy of the page, all the parts of the
> page that have a png with alpha transparency become darker except for the
> png which is the background for the right-hand side of boxes, which looks
> normal.
>
> Now, if I upload the exact directory structure to my website and view it
> with *any* browser, the right-hand background mentioned above is missing
> entirely.
>
> Is it just me or does it look like that to everyone else too?
>
> Big WTF!
>
> First, what's this weird thing that FF is doing? Something to do with the
> gamma in the png or something? Weird.
>
> Second, what's different about the right-hand background? It doesn't
> trigger the gamma-bug thing mentioned above in FF and you can't see the
> background at all in any browser.


I don't see missing bg image or darkening, but I do see this:

http://blinkynet.net/stuff/comp/nik1.jpg

FF 1.5.0.1 / Linux

And pretty much the same thing with Konqueror 3.4.2, except that fine
horizontal line above the first line of that panel is not there.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
Coming Soon: Filtering rules specific to various real news clients
 
Reply With Quote
 
Nik Coughlin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-22-2006
Nik Coughlin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have this page that I am working on about 3 column layouts with
> rounded corners, alpha etc.
>
> http://www.nrkn.com/3ColRoundAlpha/
>
> It's unfinished, but while testing I've noticed something strange. I
> have taken some screenshots to illustrate this:
>
> http://www.nrkn.com/3ColRoundAlpha/problem/
>
> Just in Firefox though, something weird happens. If I minimise and
> then restore Firefox while on the local copy of the page, all the
> parts of the page that have a png with alpha transparency become
> darker except for the png which is the background for the right-hand
> side of boxes, which looks normal.
>
> Now, if I upload the exact directory structure to my website and view
> it with *any* browser, the right-hand background mentioned above is
> missing entirely.


OK, the missing background... that was just dumb. I'd mistyped the file
name in the CSS file as image1r.png instead of Image1r.png. My local
system, case insensitive, my webserver, case sensitive. That should have
been the first thing I thought of, damn fool

Now I have to get rid of those little 1px gaps, and if possible figure out
WTF is up with Firefox changing the gamma of my PNGs when I alt-tab or
minimise/maximise the window.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Nik Coughlin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-22-2006
Blinky the Shark wrote:
> Nik Coughlin wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have this page that I am working on about 3 column layouts with
>> rounded corners, alpha etc.
>>
>> http://www.nrkn.com/3ColRoundAlpha/
>>
>> It's unfinished, but while testing I've noticed something strange.
>> I have taken some screenshots to illustrate this:
>>
>> http://www.nrkn.com/3ColRoundAlpha/problem/
>>

*snip*
>
> I don't see missing bg image or darkening, but I do see this:
>
> http://blinkynet.net/stuff/comp/nik1.jpg


Yep, supposed to do that, it's illustrating why a particular layout
technique doesn't work

> FF 1.5.0.1 / Linux
>
> And pretty much the same thing with Konqueror 3.4.2, except that fine
> horizontal line above the first line of that panel is not there.


I fixed the issues I was having so I'm getting on to the fine line that
appears in a couple of browsers now.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Nik Coughlin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-22-2006
Nik Coughlin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have this page that I am working on about 3 column layouts with
> rounded corners, alpha etc.
>
> http://www.nrkn.com/3ColRoundAlpha/
>
> It's unfinished, but while testing I've noticed something strange. I
> have taken some screenshots to illustrate this:
>
> http://www.nrkn.com/3ColRoundAlpha/problem/
>

*snip*

I already posted to say that I had a typo in my CSS, case sensitivity was
why the bg image wasn't displaying.

As to the gamma of pngs going all dark sometimes when I switched away from
Firefox to another app and then back, I fixed that just by stripping all of
the gamma information out of the pngs using pngcrush -rem gAMA.

Now just that fine line to fix.


 
Reply With Quote
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-22-2006
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Nik Coughlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> OK, the missing background... that was just dumb. I'd mistyped the file
> name in the CSS file as image1r.png instead of Image1r.png. My local
> system, case insensitive, my webserver, case sensitive. That should have
> been the first thing I thought of, damn fool


perhaps you need to check again to see the whole page... in the
middle of the page is still a missing bg... in Safari at least...
If you can't see or are not sure where, come back again and I
will detail more

--
dorayme
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIV background-repeat background-image? For shadow effect jc ASP .Net 3 03-19-2008 04:19 PM
DIV background-repeat background-image for shadowing effect jc HTML 1 03-19-2008 02:16 PM
[GUI Image] attach an image as a background picture Raydog Java 3 04-09-2004 06:12 PM
layer background-images disappearing dalerguy_home HTML 5 02-25-2004 07:22 AM
changing a background image to a background colour? Dj Frenzy Javascript 3 02-10-2004 08:08 PM



Advertisments