Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wired and wireless

Wired and wireless

=?Utf-8?B?Y3VybHkxMDE=?=

Is there a way that I can get my wireless connection to automatically enable
when I unplug my wired connection?

Or, if both are enabled at the same time, which one does my laptop use?
Obviously my wired connection is faster, so I would want it to be the default.

Thanks

Greg Lindsay [MSFT]

Hi,

Microsoft's Cable Guy has written a nice summary of this. You can find it
here:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...g0405.mspx#EME

Basically, most traffic will go over the preferred connection. If you have
a second computer that is also on the same wireless network, then you will
connect to it through the wireless connection instead of going over the
internet and around back through your wired connection.

You can view which route your computer takes using the route command. Open
a command prompt and type "route print *" You will see a list of all the
routes your computer currently knows.

At the top of the list, you'll see two routes with a destination of
0.0.0.0 - these are your default routes for your wired and wireless
interfaces. The far right column shows the "metric" for each. The lower
the number, the more preferred the route. If a route is not listed, then
your computer will use the most preferred default route.

If you don't know which one is your wireless and which is your wired IP
address, just use the command "ipconfig" to view them.

I hope this helps!

--
Greg Lindsay [MSFT]

no rights.
"curly101" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there a way that I can get my wireless connection to automatically
> enable
> when I unplug my wired connection?
>
> Or, if both are enabled at the same time, which one does my laptop use?
> Obviously my wired connection is faster, so I would want it to be the
> default.
>
> Thanks

Greg Lindsay [MSFT]

Sorry, I see that I didn't answer your first question. You would want to
enable both the wired and wireless adapters. The computer should pick the
best connection to use. The only time this might be a problem is if the
slower connection has the same or lower value for the default route metric.
This should not happen as long as metrics are assigned automatically.

More information about automatic metrics can be found here:

Greg Lindsay [MSFT]
(E-Mail Removed)

no rights.

"Greg Lindsay [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> Microsoft's Cable Guy has written a nice summary of this. You can find it
> here:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...g0405.mspx#EME
>
> Basically, most traffic will go over the preferred connection. If you
> have a second computer that is also on the same wireless network, then you
> will connect to it through the wireless connection instead of going over
> the internet and around back through your wired connection.
>
> You can view which route your computer takes using the route command.
> Open a command prompt and type "route print *" You will see a list of all
> the routes your computer currently knows.
>
> At the top of the list, you'll see two routes with a destination of
> 0.0.0.0 - these are your default routes for your wired and wireless
> interfaces. The far right column shows the "metric" for each. The lower
> the number, the more preferred the route. If a route is not listed, then
> your computer will use the most preferred default route.
>
> If you don't know which one is your wireless and which is your wired IP
> address, just use the command "ipconfig" to view them.
>
> I hope this helps!
>
> --
> Greg Lindsay [MSFT]
> (E-Mail Removed)
>
> Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
> confers no rights.
> "curly101" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Is there a way that I can get my wireless connection to automatically
>> enable
>> when I unplug my wired connection?
>>
>> Or, if both are enabled at the same time, which one does my laptop use?
>> Obviously my wired connection is faster, so I would want it to be the
>> default.
>>
>> Thanks

Mike G

My Toshiba laptop has an option to check that will switch to wireless
anytime the wired connection is not connected!

>> Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
>> confers no rights.
>> "curly101" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Is there a way that I can get my wireless connection to automatically
>>> enable
>>> when I unplug my wired connection?
>>>
>>> Or, if both are enabled at the same time, which one does my laptop use?
>>> Obviously my wired connection is faster, so I would want it to be the
>>> default.
>>>
>>> Thanks

Jack

Hi