Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > simple html question about anchors

simple html question about anchors

Jonathan N. Little

tbar wrote:
> It's commonly known as "tables are good"

For tabular data, yes.

Otherwise what are your talking about? Please quote.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

CRON

Jonathan,
Thanks for the reply - it's good to have an answer even tho its not
what I wanted to hear ;c) I'll try the CSS margin. Cheers,

Not sure what top posting is, but if you let me know I'll try to avoid
it!

Ciaran

Jonathan N. Little wrote:

> Ciaran, please don't top post.
>
> CRON wrote:
> > Hi, Thanks for the replies: regarding code_wrong's post (quoted below).
> > I am looking for the this exact effect but the line:
> > <a name="tips"></a>
> > MUST be next to or beside the line:
> > Useful Tips Section
> >
> > I cannot simply move the anchor up the page because it is generated as
> > part of a database list from PHP. So I need a way for the anchor to
> > find the centre of the screen rather then the top when called.

> Long ago I once experiment to do the very same thin in order to clear an
> absolute positioned header at the top of the page. The bottom line was
> it required JavaScript. The JavaScript got very complicated and results
> was hardly satisfactory. Cross browser differences problem, trapping the
> scroll via a link using a hash vs. just a page scroll, determining the
> proper offset and then not triggering page scroll adjustment....it goes
> on and on... There just is no really good way to accomplish what you
> wish. The best solution is to adjust your php that outputs the db
> results to make the anchor at the very top of the output and maybe tweak
> your CSS to provide extra space to push the output into view.
>
> A[name] { display: block; margin-bottom: 2em; }
>

> <snipping the rest>
>
> --
> Take care,
>
> Jonathan
> -------------------
> LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
> http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

tbar

way too many words

tbar

Geez, there's no way except tables to know in advance the width of
things, is there?

CRON

tbar wrote:

> Geez, there's no way except tables to know in advance the width of
> things, is there?

Why are you posting on the board at all if you're too lazy to make any
sense?

tbar

Seriously, there is no way.

dorayme

In article <449490d3$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"code_wrong" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Its hard enough to understand what OP wants without supposing he
> > wants to jump to the useful tips section well before that
> > section?

> yes it is a bit of a stab in the dark

You mean that when you put the "named" part in, you put on a
blindfold and moved the mouse to paste in "<a name="tips"></a>"
like in playing 'Pin the tail on the donkey'?

--
dorayme

CRON

dorayme wrote:

> In article <449490d3$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "code_wrong" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > > Its hard enough to understand what OP wants without supposing he
> > > wants to jump to the useful tips section well before that
> > > section?

> > yes it is a bit of a stab in the dark

> You mean that when you put the "named" part in, you put on a
> blindfold and moved the mouse to paste in "<a name="tips"></a>"
> like in playing 'Pin the tail on the donkey'?
>
> --
> dorayme

....yes. thats exactly what I mean.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

CRON wrote:

> tbar wrote:
> [using User-Agent: Thunderbird 1.5.0.4 (Windows/20060516)]
>
>> Geez, there's no way except tables to know in advance the width of
>> things, is there?

tbar: when replying, do not erase the quoted material. Instead,
carefully trim it and reply inline as you see everyone else doing here.

> Why are you posting on the board at all if you're too lazy to make
> any sense?

It is not a board, it is a Usenet newsgroup. Google Groups is merely a
(bad) interface to it. Why don't you find a good newsreader?

--
-bts
-Warning: I brake for lawn deer

Jonathan N. Little

tbar wrote:
> way too many words

Please go away....

--
Take care,

Jonathan

HTML forms & anchors psycho_joe88 HTML 2 07-31-2006 11:41 PM
newbie - HTML Anchors Mark Oliver ASP .Net 4 11-20-2004 05:50 AM
What about Anchors (#) and ASP.NET? Lars Netzel ASP .Net 5 07-27-2004 12:57 PM
Identifying calls from anchors =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bCBL?= ASP .Net 2 06-18-2004 03:39 AM
Bookmark Anchors and VB.NET Chris M ASP .Net 1 10-24-2003 12:31 PM

Advertisments