Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > different views for 1280 x abc and smaller resolutions

different views for 1280 x abc and smaller resolutions

ActionNotMotion@gmail.com

I have a nice outside border that should only be visible on the 1280
and higher resolution monitors. For smaller monitors, I do not want to
take away from the business space of the webpage. Kind of the same
problem presents itself when a 1280 user doesn't have his window
maximized...i want the restructuring/aligning to be done from the
center of the page, and not the left side (setting sort of a shield so
that when by minimizing, the mandatory visible space reaches the left
vizible border, it can move left no more) (how could I deal with the
scroll bars in such an instance). I'd appreciate any abstract or
concrete input. Ty

Philip

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,

> I have a nice outside border that should only be visible on the 1280
> and higher resolution monitors. For smaller monitors, I do not want to
> take away from the business space of the webpage. Kind of the same
> problem presents itself when a 1280 user doesn't have his window
> maximized...i want the restructuring/aligning to be done from the
> center of the page, and not the left side (setting sort of a shield so
> that when by minimizing, the mandatory visible space reaches the left
> vizible border, it can move left no more) (how could I deal with the
> scroll bars in such an instance). I'd appreciate any abstract or
> concrete input. Ty

Hi Ty,
You could style the nice outside border with a margin-left that would
place it outside of the viewport of users running with a window < 1280
pixels wide, or try something even tricker with Javascript. However, in
my opinion most attempts to control the user's experience like this are
misguided and also not worth the trouble. Me, if have a browser window
open wider than 1280 pixels, I probably want to use all 1280+ pixels of
that space for displaying content.

My $.02

--
Philip
http://NikitaTheSpider.com/

NOXwebmasterx@xmbstevensx.com

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I have a nice outside border

I presume you mean the border of the whole page, i.e. the body element?
And set in CSS? Address where we can see it?

> that should only be visible on the 1280
> and higher resolution monitors. For smaller monitors, I do not want to
> take away from the business space of the webpage. Kind of the same
> problem presents itself when a 1280 user doesn't have his window
> maximized...i want the restructuring/aligning to be done from the
> center of the page, and not the left side (setting sort of a shield so
> that when by minimizing, the mandatory visible space reaches the left
> vizible border, it can move left no more) (how could I deal with the
> scroll bars in such an instance). I'd appreciate any abstract or
> concrete input. Ty

Set the border's width and height as a percentage of the page width and
height.

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>>I have a nice outside border

> I presume you mean the border of the whole page, i.e. the body element?
> And set in CSS? Address where we can see it?
>

>>that should only be visible on the 1280
>>and higher resolution monitors. For smaller monitors, I do not want to
>>take away from the business space of the webpage. Kind of the same
>>problem presents itself when a 1280 user doesn't have his window
>>maximized...i want the restructuring/aligning to be done from the
>>center of the page, and not the left side (setting sort of a shield so
>>that when by minimizing, the mandatory visible space reaches the left
>>vizible border, it can move left no more) (how could I deal with the
>>scroll bars in such an instance). I'd appreciate any abstract or
>>concrete input. Ty
>>

> Set the border's width and height as a percentage of the page width and
> height.

Hmmm. Maybe I'm full of it today. I just tried this in fox and it
didn't work. After changing the percentage to px id did. I'll have to
check this out with the official rules.

<head>
body{width:90%; border:10% solid #777;}
</head>

;lakjsd ;alskdj ;alsdjf ;alsdjf ;alskjdf ;alskjdf ;alksdjf ;alsdjf
;alksjdf ;alksjdf ;alsjf ;alksdj ;asdlfkj

NOXwebmasterx@xmbstevensx.com

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

Erm, this line

body{width:90%; border:10% solid #777;}
should be:

body{border:10% solid #777;}
versus
body{border:10px solid #777;}

ActionNotMotion@gmail.com

I'm working on some other issues now, but by monday I should have
incorporated some of these suggestions and I'll try to post some
response then.

Ty (thank you

x.abc vs x['abc'] Gunter Henriksen Python 1 05-15-2009 07:03 AM
ABC inheriting from ABC vsgdp C++ 1 09-24-2005 08:01 PM
Ain't ($foo eq 'abc') the same as ($foo =~ /^abc$/)? Ha - NOT ON MY BOX!!! usenet@DavidFilmer.com Perl Misc 4 06-15-2005 03:06 PM
Is "String s = "abc";" equal to "String s = new String("abc");"? Bruce Sam Java 15 11-19-2004 06:03 PM
HttpModule -- how to intercept urls like http://localhost/abc/def or http://localhost/abc/def/ where abc, def are non virtual dir Jiong Feng ASP .Net 0 11-19-2003 05:29 AM

Advertisments