Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Framesets ?

Framesets ?

vivekaseeja@gmail.com

Hi,

I have a web page where there are two frames. The left hand side frame
has a list. When a row in a list is clicked, the other frame's contents
need to be changed. The right hand frame needs to be a single html
page, so i imagine have to hide and unhide content somehow.

Thanks in advance,
vivekian

vivekaseeja@gmail.com

Forgot the question ..how do i do this ?

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a web page where there are two frames. The left hand side frame
> has a list. When a row in a list is clicked, the other frame's contents
> need to be changed. The right hand frame needs to be a single html
> page, so i imagine have to hide and unhide content somehow.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> vivekian

Michael Hedinger

> Forgot the question ..how do i do this ?
>
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a web page where there are two frames. The left hand side frame
>> has a list. When a row in a list is clicked, the other frame's contents
>> need to be changed. The right hand frame needs to be a single html
>> page, so i imagine have to hide and unhide content somehow.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> vivekian

how do you do WHAT? are you asking about the linking that the correct
html site will appear in the right frame? that would be <a
href="rightframe.html" target="right"> in the frameset source you need
to define the right frame with <frame ..... name="right>"

or are you asking about PHP? that the right frame page is ONE .php file
which changes it's content when you click on a link on the left side?

tbar

Usually you add something like...

target="right_frame"

....to all the links in the left frame.

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Forgot the question ..how do i do this ?
>
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a web page where there are two frames. The left hand side frame
>> has a list. When a row in a list is clicked, the other frame's contents
>> need to be changed. The right hand frame needs to be a single html
>> page, so i imagine have to hide and unhide content somehow.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> vivekian

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed). com>,
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a web page where there are two frames. The left hand side frame
> has a list. When a row in a list is clicked, the other frame's contents
> need to be changed. The right hand frame needs to be a single html
> page, so i imagine have to hide and unhide content somehow.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> vivekian

The right hand side is a frame in which appear different html
pages. If there are links in the left frame, clicking one of them
can make a particular html page appear in the right frame. The
magic of frames you see...

As for hiding, it is part of the magic, a deep part. When a
particular html page is not being called, it sits patiently on
the server, a bit like a shy girl on a dance floor waitting for
someone to ask her to dance. By not being called, she is not
present on the dance floor.

How to do things with frames? Why not take a look at
http://wp.netscape.com/assist/net_sites/frames.html

But be bloody quick before spoilsports put you right off them...
or you will miss out on some genuinely good fun... they are hated
with a passion around here.

--
dorayme

Jeremy Brown

Try this for your home page:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Frameset//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-frameset.dtd">

<head >
<title>
My Site- Home.
</title>

<!--Begin Style and Script Configuration-->

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen"
href="your_css_here.css" /> <!--Sets the style sheet-->
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" /> <!--Sets the icon in the
address bar-->
<!--Sets your default character set-->
the default scripting language-->

<!--End Style and Script Configuration-->

</head >

<frameset border="0" cols="20%,*"> <!--Defines the frameset configuration,
in this case two columns-->
<frame id="navigation" src="nav-pane.html" title="Navigation Page"
scrolling="no" /> <!--the navigation pane is configured here-->
<frame id="content" src="home-pane.html" /> <!--the content pane is
configured here-->

<noframes> <!--Sets up no frames navigation-->
No frames version
</a>
</noframes>

</frameset>

Jeremy

--
Visit my Saab & me at:
http://jerem43.home.att.net

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a web page where there are two frames. The left hand side frame
>> has a list. When a row in a list is clicked, the other frame's contents
>> need to be changed. The right hand frame needs to be a single html
>> page, so i imagine have to hide and unhide content somehow.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> vivekian

> The right hand side is a frame in which appear different html
> pages. If there are links in the left frame, clicking one of them
> can make a particular html page appear in the right frame. The
> magic of frames you see...
>
> As for hiding, it is part of the magic, a deep part. When a
> particular html page is not being called, it sits patiently on
> the server, a bit like a shy girl on a dance floor waitting for
> someone to ask her to dance. By not being called, she is not
> present on the dance floor.
>
> How to do things with frames? Why not take a look at
> http://wp.netscape.com/assist/net_sites/frames.html
>
> But be bloody quick before spoilsports put you right off them...
> or you will miss out on some genuinely good fun... they are hated
> with a passion around here.
>
> --
> dorayme

Brian Cryer

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have a web page where there are two frames. The left hand side frame
> has a list. When a row in a list is clicked, the other frame's contents
> need to be changed. The right hand frame needs to be a single html
> page, so i imagine have to hide and unhide content somehow.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> vivekian

If you use a frameset then be aware that some visitors will jump out of the
frameset - or be directed by search engines to pages that you would want
framed. One way round that is to include a link on each page to take you
back to your homepage - you don't want someone to arrive at a page but not
then be able to navigate to the rest of your site.
--
Brian Cryer
www.cryer.co.uk/brian

Paul Watt

http://www.paulwatt.info
"Brian Cryer" <brian.cryer@127.0.0.1.ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a web page where there are two frames. The left hand side frame
>> has a list. When a row in a list is clicked, the other frame's contents
>> need to be changed. The right hand frame needs to be a single html
>> page, so i imagine have to hide and unhide content somehow.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> vivekian

> If you use a frameset then be aware that some visitors will jump out of
> the frameset - or be directed by search engines to pages that you would
> want framed. One way round that is to include a link on each page to take
> you back to your homepage - you don't want someone to arrive at a page but
> not then be able to navigate to the rest of your site.
> --
> Brian Cryer
> www.cryer.co.uk/brian

Trying to resist, resist,resist.
FRAMES ARE EVIL!
Couldn't resist in the end.
--
Cheers

Paul

Brian Cryer

"Paul Watt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
<snip>
> Trying to resist, resist,resist.
> FRAMES ARE EVIL!
> Couldn't resist in the end.

Not sure about "evil" - but I certainly try to avoid them.
--
Brian Cryer
www.cryer.co.uk/brian

vivekaseeja@gmail.com

Michael Hedinger wrote:

> how do you do WHAT? are you asking about the linking that the correct
> html site will appear in the right frame? that would be <a
> href="rightframe.html" target="right"> in the frameset source you need
> to define the right frame with <frame ..... name="right>"

Think i messed up my question. My apoligies. The right hand side has to
be a single html page which will show different html content depending
upon what has been clicked on the left hand side. The problem is that
all the html content has to be a single html page. So i imagine the
content would have to be hidden or unhidden depending upon what is
clicked on the left hand side. How can i do that -- that is hide and
unhide ?

thanks ..
vivekian