Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Single Quote Versus Double Quote In A href link

Single Quote Versus Double Quote In A href link

knee-dragger@hotmail.com

Can someone please tell me in html if the following link is ok in html?
It seems to work fine in the browser but I am not sure if searchengine
will respect the the single quotes around the rel 'no follow' and if
the single quote around the http: is ok.

<a rel='nofollow' href='http://www.test.com/test.htm'>Dirk</a>

Your help with these two questions is much appreciated.

Thank you.

David Dorward

> Can someone please tell me in html if the following link is ok in html?

By default, SGML requires that all attribute values be delimited using
either double quotation marks (ASCII decimal 34) or single quotation marks
(ASCII decimal 39).

http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/intro/sgmltut.html#h-3.2.2

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

Philip Semanchuk

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Can someone please tell me in html if the following link is ok in html?
> It seems to work fine in the browser but I am not sure if searchengine
> will respect the the single quotes around the rel 'no follow' and if
> the single quote around the http: is ok.
>
> <a rel='nofollow' href='http://www.test.com/test.htm'>Dirk</a>

That's fine. It would be an extremely poor search engine/browser/user
agent that didn't understand both single and double quotes.

HTH

--
Bye,
Philip

JDS

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 21:29:38 +0100, David Dorward wrote:

> By default, SGML requires that all attribute values be delimited using
> either double quotation marks (ASCII decimal 34) or single quotation marks
> (ASCII decimal 39).

But the point here, really, is that the two are interchangeable, as long
as one closes single quotes with single quotes and double quotes.... well,
you get the idea.

to clarify: HTML does not differentiate between double and single quotes
WRT the OP's question

--
JDS | (E-Mail Removed)