Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Catalyst 3550

Catalyst 3550

JohnNews

Folks:

I recently purchased a NEW Catalyst 3550-24-SMI Switch from an Ebay vendor
for $2000. The switch came with 2 empty GBIC Module slots.

* Is it normal for me to have to purchase two 1000baseT Gbic modules even
after $2000 ?
* Does Cisco provide any free tools/utilities to help with configuration
of the switch ?
*

Thanks,
John.

Walter Roberson

In article <qAMub.49758$Dw6.257139@attbi_s02>,
JohnNews <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:I recently purchased a NEW Catalyst 3550-24-SMI Switch from an Ebay vendor
:for $2000. The switch came with 2 empty GBIC Module slots.

:* Is it normal for me to have to purchase two 1000baseT Gbic modules even
:after $2000 ?

What did the vendor advertise? The 3550 normally ships without GBIC
modules.

:* Does Cisco provide any free tools/utilities to help with configuration
f the switch ?

As I recall, Yes.

Question, though: was the Ebay vendor an authorized Cisco VAR?
Because if not then Cisco would not consider you to have an authorized
IOS license, which would likely turn out to be a big problem later.

--
We don't need no side effect-ing
We don't need no scope control

JohnNews

Hello:

What is the average cost of 1000BaseT Gbic modules - Used and new from Ebay.

Thanks,
John.

news:bpg5dr$jom$(E-Mail Removed)...

In article <1bSub.247714$HS4.2190341@attbi_s01>,
JohnNews <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:What is the average cost of 1000BaseT Gbic modules - Used and new from Ebay.

I wouldn't know -- Ebay crashes my browser so I seldom even look
there. And copyrights and licenses are often a problem with items
bought on Ebay, and I don't need that kind of trouble.

You have to know what -kind- of GBIC you want. The most common kind
is to drive SX over multimode fibre; the Cisco part number for that
is WS-G5484= . Those would often be used for LAN connections.
LX/LH over singlemode is also not uncommon; those would often be used
fro WAN conections. SZ is not all the common; those would be used
for very long distance WAN connections.

You also need to decide what quality parameters you want. You can get
GBICs new, used, or refurbished, and you can get Cisco-made GBICs, or
Cisco-certified GBICs, or uncertified GBICs. The prices will vary quite
a bit depending on what combination you go for.

For example, at dealtime,
http://hardwarecentral.dealtime.com/...G5484~S-2~PG-1
the prices for the WS-G5484= vary from $US63 to $US367.32 . The higher
priced modules are more likely Cisco-made; the mid-priced modules are
more likely Cisco-certified; the low-priced modules are more likely
uncertified. But you can't be sure without contacting the vendor and
asking (and getting the answer in writing!): occasionally the really
cheap modules are full quality Cisco-made ones, dumped on the market
when some dot-com went bust.

In some environments, in some situations, an uncertified GBIC will work
just fine; if you can afford the -possibility- that a connection might
be a bit marginal, then going for a cheap GBIC could easily save you a lot
of money. If the connection is mission-critical then you'll want
a Cisco-made one, and you'll want a spare on-hand too (GBICs burn out
sometimes.)

For our networks, we have a mix of Cisco-made GBICs and some OEM'd
by Agilent; we haven't had any problems with the Agilent's yet.
(On the other hand, we have had a few IBM-made SX GBICs burn out on
our Exchange cluster.)
--
Reviewers should be required to produce a certain number of
negative reviews - like police given quotas for handing out

Eric LEMAITRE

Hi John !

JohnNews wrote:
> What is the average cost of 1000BaseT Gbic modules - Used and new from Ebay.

For present moment, about 100 US$, rather slightly less for many at 110
US$ have no bid at all. I would rather say at about 80 at last.

Best regards.

Bob by The Bay

I picked up 4 used, multimode fiber GBIC modules (SX type) in good condition
recently for $30/ea ($120 for 4).

Robert

"JohnNews" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Hello:
>

> What is the average cost of 1000BaseT Gbic modules - Used and new from

Ebay.

> Thanks,
> John.
>

> "Walter Roberson" <(E-Mail Removed)-cnrc.gc.ca> wrote in message
> news:bpg5dr$jom$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > In article <qAMub.49758$Dw6.257139@attbi_s02>,
> > JohnNews <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > :I recently purchased a NEW Catalyst 3550-24-SMI Switch from an Ebay

> vendor
> > :for $2000. The switch came with 2 empty GBIC Module slots.
> >
> > :* Is it normal for me to have to purchase two 1000baseT Gbic modules

> even
> > :after $2000 ?
> >
> > What did the vendor advertise? The 3550 normally ships without GBIC
> > modules.
> >
> > :* Does Cisco provide any free tools/utilities to help with

> configuration
> > f the switch ?
> >
> > As I recall, Yes.
> >
> > Question, though: was the Ebay vendor an authorized Cisco VAR?
> > Because if not then Cisco would not consider you to have an authorized
> > IOS license, which would likely turn out to be a big problem later.
> >
> > --
> > We don't need no side effect-ing
> > We don't need no scope control
> > No global variables for execution
> > Hey! Did you leave those args alone? --

> decvax!utzoo!utcsrgv!roderick

JohnNews

Bob:

Where did you buy the modules. Thanks in advance.

Thanks,
John.
"Bob by The Bay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I picked up 4 used, multimode fiber GBIC modules (SX type) in good

condition
> recently for $30/ea ($120 for 4).
>
> Robert
>
> "JohnNews" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > Hello:
> >

> > What is the average cost of 1000BaseT Gbic modules - Used and new from

> Ebay.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > John.
> >

> > "Walter Roberson" <(E-Mail Removed)-cnrc.gc.ca> wrote in message
> > news:bpg5dr$jom$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > In article <qAMub.49758$Dw6.257139@attbi_s02>,
> > > JohnNews <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > > :I recently purchased a NEW Catalyst 3550-24-SMI Switch from an Ebay

> > vendor
> > > :for $2000. The switch came with 2 empty GBIC Module slots.
> > >
> > > :* Is it normal for me to have to purchase two 1000baseT Gbic

modules
> > even
> > > :after $2000 ?
> > >
> > > What did the vendor advertise? The 3550 normally ships without GBIC
> > > modules.
> > >
> > > :* Does Cisco provide any free tools/utilities to help with

> > configuration
> > > f the switch ?
> > >
> > > As I recall, Yes.
> > >
> > > Question, though: was the Ebay vendor an authorized Cisco VAR?
> > > Because if not then Cisco would not consider you to have an authorized
> > > IOS license, which would likely turn out to be a big problem later.
> > >
> > > --
> > > We don't need no side effect-ing
> > > We don't need no scope control
> > > No global variables for execution
> > > Hey! Did you leave those args alone? --

> > decvax!utzoo!utcsrgv!roderick

Bob by The Bay

John,
I found them at a monthly electronics swap meet that frequently has Cisco
bits. But I went online to verify prices prior to the purchase and the
prices I paid were inline with those I found on eBay at the time. I saved a
little due to not having to pay shipping. The label on my Cisco GBICs shows
"30-0759-01" and "1000BASE-SX". These use SC connectors on the multimode
fiber patch cords.

> Bob:
>

> Where did you buy the modules. Thanks in advance.
>

> Thanks,
> John.
> "Bob by The Bay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > I picked up 4 used, multimode fiber GBIC modules (SX type) in good

> condition
> > recently for $30/ea ($120 for 4).
> >
> > Robert
> >
> > "JohnNews" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > Hello:
> > >

> > > What is the average cost of 1000BaseT Gbic modules - Used and new from

> > Ebay.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > John.
> > >

> > > "Walter Roberson" <(E-Mail Removed)-cnrc.gc.ca> wrote in message
> > > news:bpg5dr$jom$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > vendor

> modules
> > > even

> > > configuration

authorized

> > > decvax!utzoo!utcsrgv!roderick

Jason Payne

All,

Hello, my name is Jason Payne and I am with Maxis Technologies. I was
reading over this thread and I noticed John was interested in
purchasing some GBIC modules. John, if you haven't purchased these
yet, and you have decided on what you would like to purchase, please
contact me and I can quote you what I have available to me. Maxis
Technologies is a purchaser and reseller of New, used, and refurbished
Cisco, Cerent, Lucent, 3Com, USR/Total Control, and many other brands.
If any of you have any requests, please feel free to contact me
anytime and I will be more than happy to assist you. Thank you very
much for your time, I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best Regards,
Jason Payne
Maxis Technologies, Inc
433 W. Wilshire Blvd. Ste 2B
Oklahoma City, OK 73116
Voice: +1 800 79 MAXIS
Int'l: +1 405 842 3331
FAX: +1 405 841 7882
find us on the web at www.maxistech.net
email to: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
AOL IM "JASONatMAXIS"

"JohnNews" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<La4vb.196387$275.728000@attbi_s53>...
> Bob:
>

> Where did you buy the modules. Thanks in advance.
>

> Thanks,
> John.
> "Bob by The Bay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > I picked up 4 used, multimode fiber GBIC modules (SX type) in good

> condition
> > recently for $30/ea ($120 for 4).
> >
> > Robert
> >
> > "JohnNews" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > Hello:
> > >

> > > What is the average cost of 1000BaseT Gbic modules - Used and new from

> Ebay.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > John.
> > >

> > > "Walter Roberson" <(E-Mail Removed)-cnrc.gc.ca> wrote in message
> > > news:bpg5dr$jom$(E-Mail Removed)...

> vendor

> modules
> even

> configuration

> > > decvax!utzoo!utcsrgv!roderick

Rick

Yes it's normal.
Gbic modules ARE expensive.
anyway you can find 3550 at $1000 on www.ebay.de

Rick

In article <qAMub.49758$Dw6.257139@attbi_s02>, JohnNews wrote:
> Folks:
>

> I recently purchased a NEW Catalyst 3550-24-SMI Switch from an Ebay vendor
> for $2000. The switch came with 2 empty GBIC Module slots.
>
> * Is it normal for me to have to purchase two 1000baseT Gbic modules even
> after $2000 ?
> * Does Cisco provide any free tools/utilities to help with configuration
> of the switch ?
> *
>

> Thanks,
> John.

Re: Differences between 3550-24-SMI and 3550-24-EMI Steinar Haug Cisco 0 10-20-2003 02:59 PM
Differences between 3550-24-SMI and 3550-24-EMI JohnNews Cisco 10 10-20-2003 12:33 PM
Re: Cisco Catalyst 3550-12T TT Cisco 0 07-13-2003 07:44 PM
Re: Cisco Catalyst 3550-12T Erik Tamminga Cisco 0 07-10-2003 09:52 PM
Catalyst 3550 EMI Upgrade Kit (CD-3550-EMI=) problem! show version = SMI desdronox Cisco 1 07-10-2003 02:08 AM

Advertisments