Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Hello, will you allow a bit off-topic posting? Seek programmers interested in C-art

Hello, will you allow a bit off-topic posting? Seek programmers interested in C-art

M_Mann@artenom.com

Hello,

Pls excuse if you consider this off-topic. Conceptual artists seek
programmers here.

We are authors of "Exhibition of Living Managers" (MANAGEX,
www.managex.info) which is is global conceptual art project, performed
in world's leading contemporary art centres. Art objects at MANAGEX are
real employed managers, who volunteer to exhibit themselves in a galery
setting. Our new project is "Exhibition of Living Programmers"
(PROGRAMEX), which is similar to MANAGEX but focusing on professional
programmers.

Managex' official website is www.managex.info. We have also just opened
a Google Group here on Managex project:
http://groups.google.com/group/Exhib...nagers-MANAGEX,
where you are welcome to register and participate. Once we have
substantial number of interested programmers, we will open a dedicated
group on Programex.

Hope to hear from you and see you at Programex. Again, sorry if this
posting disturbed anybody.

Best,

MANAGEX / PROGRAMEX team www.managex.info

Rhino

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hello,
>
> Pls excuse if you consider this off-topic. Conceptual artists seek
> programmers here.
>
> We are authors of "Exhibition of Living Managers" (MANAGEX,
> www.managex.info) which is is global conceptual art project, performed
> in world's leading contemporary art centres. Art objects at MANAGEX are
> real employed managers, who volunteer to exhibit themselves in a galery
> setting. Our new project is "Exhibition of Living Programmers"
> (PROGRAMEX), which is similar to MANAGEX but focusing on professional
> programmers.
>
> Managex' official website is www.managex.info. We have also just opened
> a Google Group here on Managex project:
> http://groups.google.com/group/Exhib...nagers-MANAGEX,
> where you are welcome to register and participate. Once we have
> substantial number of interested programmers, we will open a dedicated
> group on Programex.
>
> Hope to hear from you and see you at Programex. Again, sorry if this
> posting disturbed anybody.
>
> Best,
>
> MANAGEX / PROGRAMEX team www.managex.info

You have created a pretty bizarre post here. I read it and couldn't figure
out if you really wanted computer programmers or you really wanted the type
of programmer who sets up a museum exhibition. I went to the
www.managex.info page and found everything in a language that appears to be
Russian, which I don't read, and no links for other versions of the page in
other languages. I clicked on the Group link and found three posts, one in
Russian and two in English, but the English posts were very vague and I
STILL don't know what you actually have in mind. It _appears_ that you want
people, managers and programmers (of some kind) to sit in museums as living
exhibits so that museum patrons can speak to them. Now, that may be
appealing for some but you neglected to provide any information on where
this museum is physically located! I could imagine some manager or
programming sitting in a museum for a few hours if it was in his own city
but I don't know too many that would travel at their own expense to a
distant city to to this.

If I were interested in participating in such a role, I might want to
contact you but I failed to see any email link to make that possible.

So, all in all, your communication skills are definitely lacking and you've
just wasted several minutes of my time. But perhaps this was inadvertent so
I thought I'd take a few minutes to explain what is wrong with your efforts
so that you could improve them. After all, your project, whatever it is, may
still be worthy even if you haven't communicated it very well.

--
Rhino

M_Mann@artenom.com

Hi Rhino,

Thanks for response. I don't know what was wrong when you were seeking
information on MANAGEX. Our site is in English and has complete
information about everything, including photos, videos, and quotations.
When you visit www.managex.info you automatically are in the English
main page. Yes, there is also a Russian version (because Managex was
performed in Moscow), but you only get there if you really want ,
it's available from to menu. Maybe you are using some browser which our
site is not supporting? if there are problems with site, pls let us
know... guess we really need some programmer here///

Thanks
Michael

Rhino wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> > Hello,
> >
> > Pls excuse if you consider this off-topic. Conceptual artists seek
> > programmers here.
> >
> > We are authors of "Exhibition of Living Managers" (MANAGEX,
> > www.managex.info) which is is global conceptual art project, performed
> > in world's leading contemporary art centres. Art objects at MANAGEX are
> > real employed managers, who volunteer to exhibit themselves in a galery
> > setting. Our new project is "Exhibition of Living Programmers"
> > (PROGRAMEX), which is similar to MANAGEX but focusing on professional
> > programmers.
> >
> > Managex' official website is www.managex.info. We have also just opened
> > a Google Group here on Managex project:
> > http://groups.google.com/group/Exhib...nagers-MANAGEX,
> > where you are welcome to register and participate. Once we have
> > substantial number of interested programmers, we will open a dedicated
> > group on Programex.
> >
> > Hope to hear from you and see you at Programex. Again, sorry if this
> > posting disturbed anybody.
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > MANAGEX / PROGRAMEX team www.managex.info
> >

> You have created a pretty bizarre post here. I read it and couldn't figure
> out if you really wanted computer programmers or you really wanted the type
> of programmer who sets up a museum exhibition. I went to the
> www.managex.info page and found everything in a language that appears to be
> Russian, which I don't read, and no links for other versions of the page in
> other languages. I clicked on the Group link and found three posts, one in
> Russian and two in English, but the English posts were very vague and I
> STILL don't know what you actually have in mind. It _appears_ that you want
> people, managers and programmers (of some kind) to sit in museums as living
> exhibits so that museum patrons can speak to them. Now, that may be
> appealing for some but you neglected to provide any information on where
> this museum is physically located! I could imagine some manager or
> programming sitting in a museum for a few hours if it was in his own city
> but I don't know too many that would travel at their own expense to a
> distant city to to this.
>
> If I were interested in participating in such a role, I might want to
> contact you but I failed to see any email link to make that possible.
>
> So, all in all, your communication skills are definitely lacking and you've
> just wasted several minutes of my time. But perhaps this was inadvertent so
> I thought I'd take a few minutes to explain what is wrong with your efforts
> so that you could improve them. After all, your project, whatever it is, may
> still be worthy even if you haven't communicated it very well.
>
> --
> Rhino

Andrey Kuznetsov

> You have created a pretty bizarre post here. I read it and couldn't figure
> out if you really wanted computer programmers or you really wanted the
> type of programmer who sets up a museum exhibition. I went to the
> www.managex.info page and found everything in a language that appears to
> be Russian, which I don't read, and no links for other versions of the
> page in other languages.

here is english version:
http://user.rol.ru/~kaffka/kaffka/Ma...nagexindex.htm

Andrey

--
http://uio.imagero.com Unified I/O for Java

Jeffrey Schwab

> Subject: Hello, will you allow a bit off-topic posting? Seek programmers interested in C-art

> Pls excuse if you consider this off-topic. Conceptual artists seek
> programmers here.

[...]
> Hope to hear from you and see you at Programex. Again, sorry if this
> posting disturbed anybody.

No problem, but for future reference: Please put "[OT]" at the beginning
of the subject line. E.g:

Subject: [OT] Seek programmers interested in C-art

Good luck with your "Exhibition of Living Programmers," which btw sounds
very, very weird.

Rhino

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hi Rhino,
>
> Thanks for response. I don't know what was wrong when you were seeking
> information on MANAGEX. Our site is in English and has complete
> information about everything, including photos, videos, and quotations.
> When you visit www.managex.info you automatically are in the English
> main page. Yes, there is also a Russian version (because Managex was
> performed in Moscow), but you only get there if you really want ,
> it's available from to menu. Maybe you are using some browser which our
> site is not supporting? if there are problems with site, pls let us
> know... guess we really need some programmer here///

I just tried the link and I get an English page now. I'm using the same link
and browser (Internet Explorer 6, probably the most widely-used browser in
the world) as I did a couple of hours ago and I've changed nothing on my
system. Apparently, something has changed on your end in the meantime - or
maybe a DSN entry was finally propagated - so that may explain the problem.

Maybe your exhibition needs to show managers and computer programmers _doing
their jobs_, not just sitting around waiting for someone to talk to them? It
might be more interesting - and educational - for visitors to be able to
look over their shoulders and to ask them what they are doing. It would be
an interesting experiment in communications to see the technical people try
to talk to visitors in the same language: assuming that the visitors were
not computing professionals, the programmers would have to figure out how
to explain their work in ways that lay people could understand without
patronizing them. It would also be interesting to see the visitors
reactions: would they try to understand the technical people or would they
just smile politely and leave if the technical people used terms they didn't
understand.

You still haven't said where you would like these managers and programmers
to go. Are you really expecting people from foreign countries to spend
thousands of dollars out of their own pockets to travel to Moscow to sit
around in museum exhibits? Or are you planning on taking the show to other
cities so that people can do this in their home city? If you were only
trying to attract Russians or Muscovites, I assume you would advertise for
"exhibits" in Russian....

--
Rhino

> [...]

>> programming sitting in a museum for a few hours if it was in his own city
>> but I don't know too many that would travel at their own expense to a
>> distant city to to this.
>>
>> If I were interested in participating in such a role, I might want to
>> contact you but I failed to see any email link to make that possible.
>>
>> So, all in all, your communication skills are definitely lacking and
>> you've
>> just wasted several minutes of my time. But perhaps this was inadvertent
>> so
>> I thought I'd take a few minutes to explain what is wrong with your
>> efforts
>> so that you could improve them. After all, your project, whatever it is,
>> may
>> still be worthy even if you haven't communicated it very well.

Rhino

"Andrey Kuznetsov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e8ocio$gm4$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> You have created a pretty bizarre post here. I read it and couldn't
>> figure out if you really wanted computer programmers or you really wanted
>> the type of programmer who sets up a museum exhibition. I went to the
>> www.managex.info page and found everything in a language that appears to
>> be Russian, which I don't read, and no links for other versions of the
>> page in other languages.

> here is english version:
> http://user.rol.ru/~kaffka/kaffka/Ma...nagexindex.htm

Thanks Andrey but the original link now takes me to an entirely different
page - in English - than it did a few hours earlier. Apparently, they
changed something at their end.

--
Rhino

M_Mann@artenom.com

Hi Rhino,

Thanks. Regarding your suggestion re programmers in action, I think
that's interesring and I will pass it to authors. Actually, it is up to
each participant to work or not. Some of the managers, for instance,
brought their laptops and worked during exhibition, and comminicated
with public as well (you can see that on the photos).

Secondly. Of course, in each city we use local people, participants do
not have to travel. Everything is done to ensure their convenience...
It means, for instance, that if we get many candidates from California
we will organize Programex event there, etc. That's whay we do these
postings. Now, a Managex event is being organized in Rotterdam
(Holland), because many managers-volunteers are from Benelux countries.

Thirdly. As requested, I have sent you an email contact address - to
"Rhino" mail - do you receive it? If not, please go to our site and get
our email address from there (pr contacts), because I am not sure it's
safe to publish email addresses here because of spam threats. Please
contact us directly by email then, we will be very glad to hear from
you, and we will provide all additional info.

Thanks,

M.

Rhino wrote:
> [...]

> >> programming sitting in a museum for a few hours if it was in his own city
> >> but I don't know too many that would travel at their own expense to a
> >> distant city to to this.
> >>
> >> If I were interested in participating in such a role, I might want to
> >> contact you but I failed to see any email link to make that possible.
> >>
> >> So, all in all, your communication skills are definitely lacking and
> >> you've
> >> just wasted several minutes of my time. But perhaps this was inadvertent
> >> so
> >> I thought I'd take a few minutes to explain what is wrong with your
> >> efforts
> >> so that you could improve them. After all, your project, whatever it is,
> >> may
> >> still be worthy even if you haven't communicated it very well.

Ed

Rhino skrev:

> Maybe your exhibition needs to show managers and computer programmers _doing
> their jobs_, not just sitting around waiting for someone to talk to them?

The difference being ...?

--

www.EdmundKirwan.com - Home of The Fractal Class Composition

Mark Space

Ed wrote:
> Rhino skrev:
>

>> Maybe your exhibition needs to show managers and computer programmers _doing
>> their jobs_, not just sitting around waiting for someone to talk to them?

> The difference being ...?

The difference being, if they *were* doing their jobs, they'd have full
mugs of coffee in their hands!