Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > 2651 Router with a 16 port fast ethernet module configuration?

2651 Router with a 16 port fast ethernet module configuration?

Dmitry

Hi,

Does anyone know how to configure a 16-port FastEthernet module in a
Cisco 2651 Router?

Here are some facts:

The Cisco 16-port FastEthernet module is called NM-ESW-16.

The router IOS 12.2(15)ZJ2 is a higher version than the 12.2(2)XT and
thus should support the module.

I can see the ports in the module as FA1/0 - 15, but none of them are
IP addressable.

Here is what I tried:

Configure the router's built-in FA0/1 with 10.10.10.1 /24 and "no
shut".

Configure a PC with 10.10.10.2 /24 and connect it to one of the
modules' ports (ex. FA1/10).

Both, FA0/1 and FA1/10 have green LEDs

I was unable to ping from the PC to FA0/1 and vice versa.

The same scenario between a PC and a serial interface did not work as
well.

My question is how does the router talk to its directly connected
16-port module, which is not IP addressable.

Thank you in advance.

Scooby

I believe that these are switchports, not router ports. You can not assign
an ip to a switchport. What you'll need to do is create vlans and assign
the ports to the vlan - then you can give an ip address to the vlan.

Jim

"Dmitry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know how to configure a 16-port FastEthernet module in a
> Cisco 2651 Router?
>

> Here are some facts:
>
> The Cisco 16-port FastEthernet module is called NM-ESW-16.
>
> The router IOS 12.2(15)ZJ2 is a higher version than the 12.2(2)XT and
> thus should support the module.
>
> I can see the ports in the module as FA1/0 - 15, but none of them are
> IP addressable.
>

> Here is what I tried:
>
> Configure the router's built-in FA0/1 with 10.10.10.1 /24 and "no
> shut".
>
> Configure a PC with 10.10.10.2 /24 and connect it to one of the
> modules' ports (ex. FA1/10).
>
> Both, FA0/1 and FA1/10 have green LEDs
>
> I was unable to ping from the PC to FA0/1 and vice versa.
>
> The same scenario between a PC and a serial interface did not work as
> well.
>

> My question is how does the router talk to its directly connected
> 16-port module, which is not IP addressable.
>

> Thank you in advance.

Scooby

Another thought....

Perhaps this module works like the L3 switches. If that is the case, you
can just type 'no switchport' in the inteface config, which will make it a
router port. Then, you can add an ip without having to define the vlan.

Jim

"Scooby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I believe that these are switchports, not router ports. You can not

assign
> an ip to a switchport. What you'll need to do is create vlans and assign
> the ports to the vlan - then you can give an ip address to the vlan.
>
> Jim
>

> "Dmitry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Hi,
> >
> > Does anyone know how to configure a 16-port FastEthernet module in a
> > Cisco 2651 Router?
> >

> > Here are some facts:
> >
> > The Cisco 16-port FastEthernet module is called NM-ESW-16.
> >
> > The router IOS 12.2(15)ZJ2 is a higher version than the 12.2(2)XT and
> > thus should support the module.
> >
> > I can see the ports in the module as FA1/0 - 15, but none of them are
> > IP addressable.
> >

> > Here is what I tried:
> >
> > Configure the router's built-in FA0/1 with 10.10.10.1 /24 and "no
> > shut".
> >
> > Configure a PC with 10.10.10.2 /24 and connect it to one of the
> > modules' ports (ex. FA1/10).
> >
> > Both, FA0/1 and FA1/10 have green LEDs
> >
> > I was unable to ping from the PC to FA0/1 and vice versa.
> >
> > The same scenario between a PC and a serial interface did not work as
> > well.
> >

> > My question is how does the router talk to its directly connected
> > 16-port module, which is not IP addressable.
> >

> > Thank you in advance.

vsakel

Hi

you have to configure vlans first (as an L2 switch) and after that you can
assign ip addresses for the vlans and so on.

Please note that the fa0/1 & fa0/0 are ip addressable in a well known way

You can imagine that you have two diferent devices (a router and a L3
switch ) in a single chassis.

About the IOS: i am using 12.3 version. Check software advisor

"Dmitry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...

> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know how to configure a 16-port FastEthernet module in a
> Cisco 2651 Router?
>

> Here are some facts:
>
> The Cisco 16-port FastEthernet module is called NM-ESW-16.
>
> The router IOS 12.2(15)ZJ2 is a higher version than the 12.2(2)XT and
> thus should support the module.
>
> I can see the ports in the module as FA1/0 - 15, but none of them are
> IP addressable.
>

> Here is what I tried:
>
> Configure the router's built-in FA0/1 with 10.10.10.1 /24 and "no
> shut".
>
> Configure a PC with 10.10.10.2 /24 and connect it to one of the
> modules' ports (ex. FA1/10).
>
> Both, FA0/1 and FA1/10 have green LEDs
>
> I was unable to ping from the PC to FA0/1 and vice versa.
>
> The same scenario between a PC and a serial interface did not work as
> well.
>

> My question is how does the router talk to its directly connected
> 16-port module, which is not IP addressable.
>

> Thank you in advance.

Aaron Leonard

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/...4/gt1636nm.htm

---

~ Hi,
~
[...]

Jim,

Both of your suggestions have worked nicely. For my scenario, I'll
have to go with the Vlan option since all of the Fast Ethernet ports
are directly connected to the PCs. This option will save me config
time and IP addresses.

Thank you again.

Dmitry

dsweeney dsweeney is offline
Junior Member

First things....

If you buy TWO NM16-ESW's you ABSOLUTELY need to also purchase the GE-DCARD-ESW interface for them...

I made this mistake by trying to use 2 NM16-ESW's in one Cisco 3825 chasis..

I had previously used one NM16-ESW in my home 2811 and everything worked fine..

However when I tried to do something for a customer we bought 2 3825's and 4 NM16-ESW's (2 in each 3825)...

Configurations that worked in my 2811 worked fine (remember it has only ONE NM16-ESW)...

The same configurations on the 3825 with TWO NM16-ESW's would just simply not pass traffic!! even though when looking (sho mac-address dynamic) the mac-address of the test machine showed up.. it could not however ping the assigned vlans default gateway or anything else...

So...

Pulled one of the two NM16-ESW's out.. and all the sudden things started working!!!

Please find attached a drawing of what we are doing..

Hope this helps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C3825-vrrp-failover.jpg (109.4 KB, 9 views)

saravanakumar saravanakumar is offline
Junior Member

hi team
could you teach me how to configure the cisco 2690 , here we have to configure atleast five cisco switch in a fiber ring ( with different i,p address from port number 1 to 8 will come 10.10.10.1 series port 9 to 16 will come 10.10.20.1 like that )