Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Customized Thread pooling

Customized Thread pooling

Saverio M.

I have built my own (simple) thread manager [TM], but just found java 5 has
its own.

I'd like to use the framework's one, but I have a problem:

my TM calls a shutdown() method for a thread when it has to close it; every
thread class has its own routines inside the method.

how can I implement the same functionality using the framework's TM?

thanks!
saverio m.

Robert Klemme

Saverio M. wrote:
> I have built my own (simple) thread manager [TM], but just found java 5 has
> its own.
>
> I'd like to use the framework's one, but I have a problem:
>
> my TM calls a shutdown() method for a thread when it has to close it; every
> thread class has its own routines inside the method.
>
> how can I implement the same functionality using the framework's TM?

I've not yet worked with this framework but from what I know of Doug
Lea's writing I assume you could deal with sending a special shut down
task through the queue (assuming that your threads are tasked via a
queue). HTH

Kind regards

robert