Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Beowulf clusters

Beowulf clusters

Kenneth P. Turvey

Filip Larsen

Kenneth P. Turvey wrote

> I need to do some parameter optimization on a long running job so I'm
> planning to use the Beowulf cluster on the UMSL campus. Ideally I

would
> like to be able to kick off threads using the executor interface and

have
> them run on available nodes on the cluster. I know that things

probably
> aren't this simple, but that would be the ideal case.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with this? Any help would be

appreciated.

If you are looking for ways to deploy and run computation jobs on your
cluster using Java, you may find the following interesting:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/aglets
http://sourceforge.net/projects/jcgrid/

Regards,
--
Filip Larsen

Filip Larsen

I wrote

> If you are looking for ways to deploy and run computation jobs on your
> cluster using Java, you may find the following interesting:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/aglets
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/jcgrid/

I mistakenly listed The Java Grid Computing project, which seems dead,
instead of the Java Parallal Processing Framework project which is much
more
alive and kicking:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/jppf-project

Regards,
--
Filip Larsen

Kenneth P. Turvey

vjg

Kenneth P. Turvey wrote:

Am I the only one here who hasn't a clue what "the Beowolf cluster" is?
You referenced UMSL and I'm assuming that's the University of Missouri
at St. Louis. I happen to live in St. Louis so it caught my eye.

Oliver Wong

"vjg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

> Am I the only one here who hasn't a clue what "the Beowolf cluster" is?
> You referenced UMSL and I'm assuming that's the University of Missouri
> at St. Louis. I happen to live in St. Louis so it caught my eye.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beowulf_cluster

- Oliver

Oliver Wong

"Kenneth P. Turvey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsan.2006.07.02.22.46.30.641576@squeakydolphin .com...

> I was
> talking to my wife the other night about how cool it would be if the
> computer labs on campus joined the cluster when not in use.

And how'd that go?

- Oliver

Daniel Dyer

On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 15:52:51 +0100, vjg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Kenneth P. Turvey wrote:

> Am I the only one here who hasn't a clue what "the Beowolf cluster" is?
> You referenced UMSL and I'm assuming that's the University of Missouri
> at St. Louis. I happen to live in St. Louis so it caught my eye.

My news reader seems to have lost the last day's posts, including the
original post in this thread, so forgive me if this has already been
mentioned, but how about using Java Spaces?

http://java.sun.com/developer/techni...ls/JavaSpaces/
http://today.java.net/pub/a/today/2005/04/21/farm.html
http://www.javaworld.com/jw-11-1999/...jiniology.html

Dan.

--
Daniel Dyer
http://www.dandyer.co.uk

vjg

Oliver Wong wrote:
> "vjg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> >
> > Am I the only one here who hasn't a clue what "the Beowolf cluster" is?
> > You referenced UMSL and I'm assuming that's the University of Missouri
> > at St. Louis. I happen to live in St. Louis so it caught my eye.

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beowulf_cluster

Thanks... I went out and did some reading after I posted that question.
I should have mentioned I was off to do a little research.

- Virgil

Kenneth P. Turvey