Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Two Backbone Connections

Two Backbone Connections

Dan Guite

I currently have one backbone connection, and I will be replacing it
with my new Sprint T1. Through my old connection I have two class
C's. Through the new Spring connection I got four.

For a router, I have a Cisco 3640. I need to know how to route
anything with an old address through the old connection, and anything
I give a new address to through the new Sprint connection. This is
because I will be renumbering all of my customers and need all
existing customers to continue working, and when I renumber them, they
need to go through the new connection.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Dan Guite

Barry Margolin

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
Dan Guite <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I currently have one backbone connection, and I will be replacing it
>with my new Sprint T1. Through my old connection I have two class
>C's. Through the new Spring connection I got four.
>
>For a router, I have a Cisco 3640. I need to know how to route
>anything with an old address through the old connection, and anything
>I give a new address to through the new Sprint connection. This is
>because I will be renumbering all of my customers and need all
>existing customers to continue working, and when I renumber them, they
>need to go through the new connection.

Look up "policy routing" on the Cisco web site.

--
Barry Margolin, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Level(3), Woburn, MA

Scooby

Dan,

First, it really doesn't matter where the traffic goes out to keep it
working. Just as long as you do route it out and then handle the incoming
traffic appropriately, you'll be fine). Especially since it is just
temporary until you can do the switch over. Personally, I would load
balance, it gives you the best use of your bandwidth. But, if you really
want to keep it on the correct network when leaving, here is an example,
just fill in your own ips.

int e0/0
ip policy route-map splitemup

route-map splitemup 10
match ip address 101
set next-hop 11.11.11.11

route-map splitemup 20
match ip address 102
set-next hop 22.22.22.22

Hope that helps,

Jim

"Dan Guite" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I currently have one backbone connection, and I will be replacing it
> with my new Sprint T1. Through my old connection I have two class
> C's. Through the new Spring connection I got four.
>
> For a router, I have a Cisco 3640. I need to know how to route
> anything with an old address through the old connection, and anything
> I give a new address to through the new Sprint connection. This is
> because I will be renumbering all of my customers and need all
> existing customers to continue working, and when I renumber them, they
> need to go through the new connection.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Dan Guite

Dan Guite

Thanks a bunch, I will definately put this to use.

I actually have to do it this way, as the providers have filters on
their respective connections so that only the IPs which they have
given us will pass over that line.

Thanks again.

-Dan