Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > clarification needed for ecj and gcj

clarification needed for ecj and gcj

Yao

Hi, everyone,
I am a newbie in java development, and I am confused by "ecj" and
"gcj". I searched in google by the keywords "ecj gcj", but I get
little useful information, so I ask help here.

AFAIK, ecj is the short form of Eclipse Compiler for Java, and gcj is
Gnu Compiler for Java. Are both of them are java compilers? What is
the difference between them?
>From the result of google search, I am confused by some items, such as

"eclipse-ecj-gcj".

Any comments are appreciated and thanks in advance!

David N. Welton

Yao wrote:
> Hi, everyone,
> I am a newbie in java development, and I am confused by "ecj" and
> "gcj". I searched in google by the keywords "ecj gcj", but I get
> little useful information, so I ask help here.
>
> AFAIK, ecj is the short form of Eclipse Compiler for Java, and gcj is
> Gnu Compiler for Java. Are both of them are java compilers? What is
> the difference between them?

ecj compiles to bytecodes, and gcj can compile from either java sources
or bytecodes to native binary code.

>>From the result of google search, I am confused by some items, such as

> "eclipse-ecj-gcj".

I think that's ecj compiled down to native code, so that it potentially
runs faster.

--
David N. Welton
- http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/