Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Tomcat Servlets - Resource not available

Tomcat Servlets - Resource not available

Magnus Warker

Hello group,

since I upgraded to Tomcat 5.5 I cannot access my servlets anymore.

With Tomcat 4.1 I could access them with the followung URL:
http://localhost/myApp/servlets/myPackage.myServlet

Are there relevant changes in the new Tomcat? How can I access my servlets?
Can I access them without defining them in some configuration files?

Many thanks,
Magnus

Marc E

this is mentioned in the 5.5 release notes. check out the readme file.

now, it does tell you how to get your /servlets/ path back, but it also says
that it's not supported in production. not sure what that means. try
accessing your servlets without the /servlets/ in your path and see what
happens.

"Magnus Warker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e7075i$uft$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello group,
>
> since I upgraded to Tomcat 5.5 I cannot access my servlets anymore.
>
> With Tomcat 4.1 I could access them with the followung URL:
> http://localhost/myApp/servlets/myPackage.myServlet
>
> Are there relevant changes in the new Tomcat? How can I access my
> servlets?
> Can I access them without defining them in some configuration files?
>
> Many thanks,
> Magnus

Chris Smith

Marc E <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> now, it does tell you how to get your /servlets/ path back, but it also says
> that it's not supported in production. not sure what that means.

They are basically trying to get across the concept that it's a really,
really bad idea to do things that way. We've had the web.xml file for
quite a few years now, and it's time to move on. Explicit servlet
mappings lead to better security situations, cleaner and less complex
applications, and more flexibility. It escapes me why anyone would want
a /servlets directory.

--
Chris Smith - Lead Software Developer / Technical Trainer
MindIQ Corporation

William Brogden

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 08:23:46 +0200, Magnus Warker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hello group,
>
> since I upgraded to Tomcat 5.5 I cannot access my servlets anymore.
>
> With Tomcat 4.1 I could access them with the followung URL:
> http://localhost/myApp/servlets/myPackage.myServlet
>
> Are there relevant changes in the new Tomcat? How can I access my
> servlets?
> Can I access them without defining them in some configuration files?
>
> Many thanks,
> Magnus

That url is using the dreaded "invoker" servlet, source of any number
of hard to figure out bugs - see

http://faq.javaranch.com/view?InvokerServlet

Just bite the bullet and learn to use web.xml - you will be glad you did.

Bill