Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Advice on how to setup WIC-1DSU-T1

Advice on how to setup WIC-1DSU-T1

Adrian Martinez

I have purchased two WIC-1DSU-T1s and installed them on two cisco
2611s running IOS V12.0.

How can I configure them to talk to each other and possibly simulate a
frame-relay connection? If frame relay is not possible, then some
other method.

Thanks

Adrian Martinez

I just found out from a responder to one of my other posts that I need to
start with a T1 Crossover cable. So let me get started on that layer 1
issue first.

username

Setting up a router to simulate a Frame-Relay switch is as easy as
configuring a single global command, and 2 serial interfaces. The
interface configurations should be identical, give or take 1 or 2
commands. Below is a command line
breakdown of a SINGLE one of these Frame-Relay Switching interfaces

frame-relay switching <-- enables FR switching on the
router
!
interface Serial0
no ip address <-- no IP needed since no pvc is
terminated
encapsulation frame-relay
clock rate <A> <-- needed only in back-to-back
config
frame-relay lmi-type <B>
frame-relay intf-type dce <-- * logical DCE causes int to
send LMI
frame-relay route <X> interface <Y> <Z> <-- pvc switching command

============

Where:
A = clock rate of line (e.g. 2000000)
B = lmi type you wish to use (e.g. cisco)
X = local dlci # of pvc connected to port S0 (e.g. 102)
Y = interface remote dlci will terminate to (e.g. Serial1)
Z = outgoing dlci # - dlci # of pvc connected to interface Y (e.g. 201)

* - A logical frame-relay dce interface will PROVIDE, not RESPOND to LMI,
so if the telco is providing LMI, you will NOT want to have this command
set!

=============

Detailed Point-to-Point Frame Realy Switch Example

!
frame-relay switching
!
interface Serial0
no ip address
encapsulation frame-relay
clockrate 2000000
frame-relay lmi-type cisco
frame-relay intf-type dce
frame-relay route 102 interface Serial1 201
!
interface Serial1
no ip address
encapsulation frame-relay
clockrate 2000000
frame-relay lmi-type ansi
frame-relay intf-type dce
frame-relay route 201 interface Serial0 102

If you are studying for a test you might want to dedicate one router as a
frame switch and add two more routers that way you can get creative with
routing protocols.

Hope this helps.

Adrian Martinez wrote:

> I have purchased two WIC-1DSU-T1s and installed them on two cisco
> 2611s running IOS V12.0.
>
> How can I configure them to talk to each other and possibly simulate a
> frame-relay connection? If frame relay is not possible, then some
> other method.
>
> Thanks

Adrian Martinez

I brought the tools and created my own T1 Crossover Cable and then used
instructions provided by "username" and the two 2611's are working perfect.

Thanks.

cisconovice cisconovice is offline
Junior Member

Hello, I am pretty new at cisco. I was trying to configure my 2 2600 routers with t1 wics but couldnt get it to work. Is the configuration below the configuration for both routers? or is it different for each one?

I was trying this command line but it kept on giving me this error:

CCNA1(config)#int s0/0
CCNA1(config-if)#no ip address
CCNA1(config-if)#encapsulation frame-relay
CCNA1(config-if)#clockrate 2000000
CCNA1(config-if)#frame-relay lmi-type cisco
CCNA1(config-if)#frame-relay intf-type dce
CCNA1(config-if)#frame-relay route 102 interface Serial1 201
^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

based from the configuration that was given by "username", i assued that Serial0 refered to my interface s0/0 and Serial1 referred to another serial interface on the same router. But the problem is that i only have 1 serial interface with my wic. the other wic is installed on another router.

Please help! thanks in advance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by username