Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > FWSM IOS Upgrade questions....

FWSM IOS Upgrade questions....

POZ123 POZ123 is offline
Junior Member

We are about to (well hoping to) upgrade some FWSM from IOS v1.1(3) to 2.3.4. We run the FWSM in pairs or 6513s. We have read the Cisco docs on the upgrade but have a few questions.....

1) If we upgrade the standby unit (once we turn failover off) and then reset it (make it active) will the Master unit and the upgraded Standby unit be ok if we enable failover and manually failover? (i.e. make standby (upgraded) box Master) [Concerned about differnet IOS levels in a failover pair?]

2) Are there any configuration quirks that we need to be aware of for the upgrade? (Recently upgraded our Netscreen Firewalls and had to rewrite some parts of the configuration for later software releases.)

3) If we copy new IOS to the cf:5 area to test, can we then (once happy) copy this code into cf:4 (default boot partition)? If so how? (Command would be nice please)

4) Given our proposed "upgrade standby failover to it then upgrade old Master" can we do the upgrade with No impact to Users?

Many thanks in advance

POZ