Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > claculating the number of years from two java.Util dates

claculating the number of years from two java.Util dates

manzur

I have two java.util dates with me i want calculate the number of years
between them .

Example:

Date1:19/02/2006
Date2:19/02/2007

If i give these two dates i should get the number ofyears as 1.

thanks in advance

MiSt

manzur napisaƂ(a):
> I have two java.util dates with me i want calculate the number of years
> between them .
>
> Example:
>
> Date1:19/02/2006
> Date2:19/02/2007
>
> If i give these two dates i should get the number ofyears as 1.

It depends what do you want.
What if ?:

Date1=19/12/2006,
Date2=19/02/2007

It should give 1 year or 0 year?

If you want only calendar differnce (in my example 1 year) create two
Calendar objects and get years fields values and check diference

If you want duration (in my example 0 year) get time in milis from date
get differnce and divide by number of milis in year or simply use
DurationFormatUtils from apache commons lang

--
MiSt

Seamus

manzur wrote:
> I have two java.util dates with me i want calculate the number of years
> between them .
>
> Example:
>
> Date1:19/02/2006
> Date2:19/02/2007
>
> If i give these two dates i should get the number ofyears as 1.
>
> thanks in advance

Given two Data objects, d1 and d2

long elapsed = d2.getTime() - d1.getTime();
// elapsed is in milliseconds so we have to convert to year
int years = elapsed * 1000 * 60 * 60 * 24 * 365; // leap years make it
more complex TEISTTR

P.Hill

Seamus wrote:
> long elapsed = d2.getTime() - d1.getTime();
> // elapsed is in milliseconds so we have to convert to year
> int years = elapsed * 1000 * 60 * 60 * 24 * 365;

// leap years make it more complex TEISTTR

Oh and since we don't use a calendar with leaps (nor funny days with 23
and 24 hours) then it really isn't important. Oh wait we do, so your
solution is pretty poor suggestion, particularly for those real world
calculations like right about the same time last year to right about the
same time this year.

Suggestion to OP, use the Calendar object and convert properly to
either calendar year and if you want more than (any day in ) 2006
minus (any day in) 2005 is 1, I'd suggest working with day of year
or month of year and day of month to work out "delta years" instead of
"calendar years". All the fields I mentioned are available from
java.util.Calendar.

-Paul

Seamus

P.Hill wrote:
> Seamus wrote:
> > long elapsed = d2.getTime() - d1.getTime();
> > // elapsed is in milliseconds so we have to convert to year
> > int years = elapsed * 1000 * 60 * 60 * 24 * 365;

> // leap years make it more complex TEISTTR
>
> Oh and since we don't use a calendar with leaps (nor funny days with 23
> and 24 hours) then it really isn't important. Oh wait we do, so your
> solution is pretty poor suggestion, particularly for those real world
> calculations like right about the same time last year to right about the
> same time this year.
>
> Suggestion to OP, use the Calendar object and convert properly to
> either calendar year and if you want more than (any day in ) 2006
> minus (any day in) 2005 is 1, I'd suggest working with day of year
> or month of year and day of month to work out "delta years" instead of
> "calendar years". All the fields I mentioned are available from
> java.util.Calendar.
>
> -Paul

Yes, and I mentioned that - smartass.