Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Object serialization XML vs java serialization

Object serialization XML vs java serialization

plasticfloor@gmail.com

I was wondering are there really advantages to using XML serialization
for object or is it just an xml hype?

Matt Humphrey

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I was wondering are there really advantages to using XML serialization
> for object or is it just an xml hype?

I use XML serialization because
it's no more difficult than binary serialization,
I can read (view directly) the results as text when needed,
I can manually edit the serialized data
I can transform serialized data using XSL
I worry less that changes to Java will invalidate the serialization
It transfers easily across HTTP
I usually (but not always) don't care that it might be larger or a
little slower

Cheers,
Matt Humphrey http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) http://www.iviz.com/

Andrew McDonagh

Matt Humphrey wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> I was wondering are there really advantages to using XML serialization
>> for object or is it just an xml hype?

> I use XML serialization because
> it's no more difficult than binary serialization,
> I can read (view directly) the results as text when needed,
> I can manually edit the serialized data
> I can transform serialized data using XSL
> I worry less that changes to Java will invalidate the serialization
> It transfers easily across HTTP
> I usually (but not always) don't care that it might be larger or a
> little slower
>
> Cheers,
> Matt Humphrey (E-Mail Removed) http://www.iviz.com/

Seconded, plus:

it allows for schema evolution (i.e. should we later change the class,
we can easily change the XML to suit the new version).

Its JVM version independent.

hawat.thufir@gmail.com

Matt Humphrey wrote:
[...]
> I can read (view directly) the results as text when needed,

[...]

Not that you'd often want to, but that capability sounds good

-Thufir