Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > SMS Alerts throught ASP.Net 2.0

SMS Alerts throught ASP.Net 2.0

Kausar

Hello All,

I have following queries:

How to Send/Receive SMS(Short Message Service) Alerts through
ASP.NET application.
Although, I found this
http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/SendingSMS.asp which uses the 3rd Party
webservices for this purpose.
but i don't wanna rely on this 3rd Party service. How can i
create this on my own?

How to Check that particular mobile device/number support this
service?

What if the mobile support this service but b'coz of this
service is chargable the user disabled it?

Thanks & Regards
Kausar

John Timney \(MVP\)

To send and recieve SMS you need an SMS gateway - which can be a mobile
phone connected to a PC running apporpriate software to communicate through
it. Take a look at nowSMS, a useful gateway that works with many phones for
inbound and outbound messaging and has an easy to wrap internal web server
to operate it via local http based requests.

I would however think that a web based srevice certainly for outbound
messaging will be cheaper.
--
Regards

John Timney (MVP)

"Kausar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello All,
>
> I have following queries:
>
> How to Send/Receive SMS(Short Message Service) Alerts through
> ASP.NET application.
> Although, I found this
> http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/SendingSMS.asp which uses the 3rd Party
> webservices for this purpose.
> but i don't wanna rely on this 3rd Party service. How can i
> create this on my own?
>
> How to Check that particular mobile device/number support this
> service?
>
> What if the mobile support this service but b'coz of this
> service is chargable the user disabled it?
>
> Thanks & Regards
> Kausar

Kausar

Hello John,

I want to know, Does Microsoft provide any framework for sending
SMS?
Can't we create a component using Window's CE and deploy it to
ASP.NET for this purpose?

Thanks & Regards
Kausar

"John Timney (MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> To send and recieve SMS you need an SMS gateway - which can be a mobile
> phone connected to a PC running apporpriate software to communicate
> through it. Take a look at nowSMS, a useful gateway that works with many
> phones for inbound and outbound messaging and has an easy to wrap internal
> web server to operate it via local http based requests.
>
> I would however think that a web based srevice certainly for outbound
> messaging will be cheaper.
> --
> Regards
>
> John Timney (MVP)
>
> "Kausar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I have following queries:
>>
>> How to Send/Receive SMS(Short Message Service) Alerts through
>> ASP.NET application.
>> Although, I found this
>> http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/SendingSMS.asp which uses the 3rd Party
>> webservices for this purpose.
>> but i don't wanna rely on this 3rd Party service. How can i
>> create this on my own?
>>
>> How to Check that particular mobile device/number support this
>> service?
>>
>> What if the mobile support this service but b'coz of this
>> service is chargable the user disabled it?
>>
>> Thanks & Regards
>> Kausar

John Timney \(MVP\)

No, the framework has no native support for SMS. It does have support for
making web requests which is how 99.9% of SMS gateways handle client
interactions. Many of the web based services can be interacted with via C#
very easily and products such as NowSMS can easily be operated via ASP.NET.

Regards

John Timney (MVP)

"Kausar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello John,
>
> I want to know, Does Microsoft provide any framework for
> sending SMS?
> Can't we create a component using Window's CE and deploy it to
> ASP.NET for this purpose?
>
> Thanks & Regards
> Kausar
>
> "John Timney (MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> To send and recieve SMS you need an SMS gateway - which can be a mobile
>> phone connected to a PC running apporpriate software to communicate
>> through it. Take a look at nowSMS, a useful gateway that works with many
>> phones for inbound and outbound messaging and has an easy to wrap
>> internal web server to operate it via local http based requests.
>>
>> I would however think that a web based srevice certainly for outbound
>> messaging will be cheaper.
>> --
>> Regards
>>
>> John Timney (MVP)
>>
>> "Kausar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hello All,
>>>
>>> I have following queries:
>>>
>>> How to Send/Receive SMS(Short Message Service) Alerts through
>>> ASP.NET application.
>>> Although, I found this
>>> http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/SendingSMS.asp which uses the 3rd
>>> Party webservices for this purpose.
>>> but i don't wanna rely on this 3rd Party service. How can i
>>> create this on my own?
>>>
>>> How to Check that particular mobile device/number support
>>> this service?
>>>
>>> What if the mobile support this service but b'coz of this
>>> service is chargable the user disabled it?
>>>
>>> Thanks & Regards
>>> Kausar

joshua__lim@hotmail.com

If you just need a simple software to send out SMS via a phone, you can
try this freeware that supports HTTP interface -
http://www.visualgsm.com/products_vgsmlite.htm

justinbryan justinbryan is offline
Junior Member

I recommend you a site txtimpact.com which is involved in providing sms gateway services like dedicated shortcode and shared shortcode to send and receive sms from web application to mobile phones.