Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > 2.0 Namespaces

2.0 Namespaces

Thom Little

In 1.1 I could have two namespaces in the same webgspace. The webspace is on
a remote server. I compile the namespaces separately and check them out on
localhost and when they are checked-out I FTP them to the remote server.

The remote server structure is ...

root
Web.config
/bin
one.dll
two.dll
/one
default.aspx
/two
default.aspx

There would be two modules ...
namespace one
default
namespace two
default

How can I setup 2.0 so that it allows multiple 2.0 namespaces in the same
webspace?

Is it possible to have a 1.1 namespace and a 2.0 namespace in the same
webspace?

--
-- Thom Little -- www.tlanet.net -- Thom Little Associates, Ltd.

Thom Little

I got the answer to the first question. I now have two 2.0 applications in
the same webspace. One has a master page. You build them as applications,
move each to its own subdirectory. Move the contents of all /bin
directories to a single /bin directory in the root of the webspace.

Can 1.1 and 2.0 applications exist in the same webspace?

Can there be more than one master page in a webspace (i.e., one per
directory).

--
-- Thom Little -- www.tlanet.net -- Thom Little Associates, Ltd.
--

"Thom Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In 1.1 I could have two namespaces in the same webgspace. The webspace is
> on a remote server. I compile the namespaces separately and check them
> out on localhost and when they are checked-out I FTP them to the remote
> server.
>
> The remote server structure is ...
>
> root
> Web.config
> /bin
> one.dll
> two.dll
> /one
> default.aspx
> /two
> default.aspx
>
> There would be two modules ...
> namespace one
> default
> namespace two
> default
>
> How can I setup 2.0 so that it allows multiple 2.0 namespaces in the same
> webspace?
>
> Is it possible to have a 1.1 namespace and a 2.0 namespace in the same
> webspace?
>
> --
> -- Thom Little -- www.tlanet.net -- Thom Little Associates, Ltd.

Juan T. Llibre

re:
> Can 1.1 and 2.0 applications exist in the same webspace?

No. I've tested that scenario extensively.

You cannot have 1.1 subwebs, or nested applications, of 2.0 apps.
You cannot have 2.0 subwebs, or nested applications, of 1.1 apps.

re:
> Can there be more than one master page in a webspace (i.e., one per directory).

Sure there can be more than one.
Just reference the master page you want in the pages in which you want it to be used.

Be careful not to designate a Master Page to be used by default for all pages in an application
by adding a pages element to your web.config file specifying a common Master Page.

IOW, don't set a "one-and-only" Master Page by inserting something like this in web.cofig:

<configuration>
<pages masterPageFile="~/app.master" />
</configuration>

btw, you can even nest Master Pages, i.e., have a Master Page for a set of Master Pages.

See this article for background info and sample code :

http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/is...s/default.aspx

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/

namespaces valentin tihomirov VHDL 0 05-24-2004 10:16 AM
@Import Syntax and Importing Namespaces in global.asax file D. Shane Fowlkes ASP .Net 1 01-13-2004 02:55 PM
newbie - help - where do u store custom classes when importing namespaces in ASP ravi sankar ASP .Net 2 08-27-2003 10:39 AM
Conflicting namespaces?? Will ASP .Net 2 08-13-2003 02:42 PM
Best Practices - solution - namespaces - classes Craig Deelsnyder ASP .Net 1 08-04-2003 11:27 AM

Advertisments