Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > asp.net 2.0 on a windows xp workstation

asp.net 2.0 on a windows xp workstation

=?Utf-8?B?ZXN3YW5zb24=?=

I am attempting to use the run and edit functionality in VS 2005 for asp.net
to edit my web pages, but I need to know how to add virtual directory
references. Some of my 3rd party controls depend on virtual directories, how
can I add them to the edit and run website on my XP Pro workstation?

It appears that the websites are differeniate by a port number. These
websites are created in VS 2005 using the create a site using a folder.
After I create this site, I attempt to run it off my workstation and it works
except it can not access some virtual directories. How can I add these?

Thanks

Eric

tfsmag

Have you tried running it from the version of IIS that installs with
xp? I think the vs2005 dev server is only supposed to work with that
project and as far as I know cannot use virtual directories. I could be
mistaken on that though.

I'd try setting it up on xp IIS and testing from http://localhost/

Someone please correct me if i'm wrong!

eswanson wrote:
> I am attempting to use the run and edit functionality in VS 2005 for asp.net
> to edit my web pages, but I need to know how to add virtual directory
> references. Some of my 3rd party controls depend on virtual directories, how
> can I add them to the edit and run website on my XP Pro workstation?
>
> It appears that the websites are differeniate by a port number. These
> websites are created in VS 2005 using the create a site using a folder.
> After I create this site, I attempt to run it off my workstation and it works
> except it can not access some virtual directories. How can I add these?
>
> Thanks
>
> Eric

tfsmag

Actually I found this after a quick search...

http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archi...05/442032.aspx

hope that helps you in the right direction.

tfsmag wrote:
> Have you tried running it from the version of IIS that installs with
> xp? I think the vs2005 dev server is only supposed to work with that
> project and as far as I know cannot use virtual directories. I could be
> mistaken on that though.
>
> I'd try setting it up on xp IIS and testing from http://localhost/
>
> Someone please correct me if i'm wrong!
>

> eswanson wrote:
> > I am attempting to use the run and edit functionality in VS 2005 for asp.net
> > to edit my web pages, but I need to know how to add virtual directory
> > references. Some of my 3rd party controls depend on virtual directories, how
> > can I add them to the edit and run website on my XP Pro workstation?
> >
> > It appears that the websites are differeniate by a port number. These
> > websites are created in VS 2005 using the create a site using a folder.
> > After I create this site, I attempt to run it off my workstation and it works
> > except it can not access some virtual directories. How can I add these?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Eric

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi Eric,

Thank you for your post.

After reviewing your post, I'm still not quite clear on some points. Could
you please helping me on following questions so that we can work on this
issue together?
1) By means of "how to add virtual directory references", do you mean that
you want to create virtual directory in IIS when creating web applications
in Visual Studio 2005?
2) By means of "some of my 3rd party controls depend on virtual
directories", do you mean that the 3rd party controls use some hard-coded
resource path, such as "/companyX_scripts"?

When you create a web site in VS2005 by using the file system mode, you can
using the built-in web server (webdev.webserver.exe) for development. While
it's easy and doesn't require IIS to run, it does have some limitations
such as it can only be visited from localhost and can only handle one root
path.

For such scenario, I recommend you use IIS mode when creating web site in
VS2005. Though please note that Windows XP Home Edition does't have IIS
support. Please feel free to post here if you need help on how to create
IIS virtual directory from VS2005.

Regards,
Microsoft Online Community Support

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi Eric,

If you need further assistance, feel free to let me know. I will be more
than happy to be of assistance.

Have a great day!