Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > bandwidth throughput ping times?

bandwidth throughput ping times?

Hi
I was wondering if someone could point me to a faq or explain to me a few
things.

If I have a 10mbs network, and only two computers on it, I should be able
to pull down 10megabits per second from one to the other, theoretically, I
understand the software on each computer will make a difference.
If i have a ping time of 10ms that means it took 10 ms to return, if this
spikes up to 100ms it took 100ms to return. How can i find what my
transfer should allow in the real world.

I am confused.
thanks for any help

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, g <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:I was wondering if someone could point me to a faq or explain to me a few
:things.

:If I have a 10mbs network, and only two computers on it, I should be able
:to pull down 10megabits per second from one to the other, theoretically, I
:understand the software on each computer will make a difference.

No, that's not correct theory.

There is no 10 Mbps full-duplex standard, so 10 Mbps would normally
be half-duplex, with send and receive trying to take place on the
same wire. Every time the second machine tries to reply to the first,
the first has to stop sending teporarily.

Even if you were using one-way transfers (such as UDP), there are
overheads equivilent to 20 bytes per packet that are not usually
realized -- the preamble (8 bytes) and the intra-packet gap (12 bytes).
Then there's the factor that each IP packet has the overhead of source
and destination MAC addresses and IP addresses, protocol information,
checksums, and so on. (But if you were coding your own protocol, you
could in theory avoid using those.)

:If i have a ping time of 10ms that means it took 10 ms to return, if this
:spikes up to 100ms it took 100ms to return. How can i find what my
:transfer should allow in the real world.

You could do a google search on phrases like "maximum ethernet throughput".
For example, the formula in the following message should still be
correct:

http://www-mice.cs.ucl.ac.uk/multime....www/0131.html

and see the analysis at

http://www.babinszki.com/Networking/...hroughput.html
--
"The human genome is powerless in the face of chocolate."
-- Dr. Adam Drewnowski

Ping response times - same after upgrade of bandwidth gautamzone@gmail.com Cisco 6 01-24-2006 07:22 PM
Throughput Test 800 Series Rad Cisco 0 12-20-2003 03:46 PM
Data throughput filip Cisco 1 11-18-2003 07:16 PM
PIX 506: what does "Throughput: Limited" mean? Malcolm Dunnett Cisco 0 10-18-2003 04:30 PM
any VHDL books on low resource(throughput, area, power trade-off) design? walala VHDL 0 09-08-2003 12:07 AM

Advertisments