Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Using a Cisco router as a throttling bridge?

Using a Cisco router as a throttling bridge?

Joe Drago

I have a 1720 router with a WIC-1ENET card in it, and I'd like to be able
to set it up as a very simple bridging configuration (FastEthernet0 to
Ethernet0 both in bridge-group 1), but have the total bandwidth across the
bridge throttled.

Is there a way to throttle a bridge group without routing? I was looking
into the traffic-shape command, but don't know if that'll work with a
bridge configuration. Any suggestions?

Joe Drago
StreamLine Communications

Joe Drago

Joe Drago <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> I have a 1720 router with a WIC-1ENET card in it, and I'd like to be
> able to set it up as a very simple bridging configuration
> (FastEthernet0 to Ethernet0 both in bridge-group 1), but have the
> total bandwidth across the bridge throttled.
>
> Is there a way to throttle a bridge group without routing? I was
> looking into the traffic-shape command, but don't know if that'll work
> with a bridge configuration. Any suggestions?
>
> Joe Drago
> StreamLine Communications

Answered my own question ... after searching some, I came up with this:

interface Ethernet4
no ip address
media-type 10BaseT
traffic-shape rate 750000 18000 18000 1000
bridge-group 1

This throttles the bridge at 750kbit/s perfectly. All I actually typed in
was "traffic-shape rate 750000" and hit <cr>, and IOS picked the burst
values and buffer for me. I'm excited!

Bridge-group 1 is just a regular ol' bridge group (with "bridge 1 route
ip" for setting the admin'ing through the BVI), and it throttles as a
bridge. I believe traffic-shape requires IOS 12.0 or better(?), but this
worked great on a 4700 router running 12.1(20).

--

> Answered my own question ... after searching some, I came up with
> this:
>
> interface Ethernet4
> no ip address
> media-type 10BaseT
> traffic-shape rate 750000 18000 18000 1000
> bridge-group 1

One last note ... This seems to only affect the outbound traffic on this
port, so to truely throttle on both sides of a 2 port bridge, you much
match this traffic-shape line on the other interface.

--
Joe Drago
StreamLine Communications

bandbith throttling using router TSB Computer Support 9 05-27-2006 11:11 PM
Need router with upload throttling Om_Audio Computer Support 4 05-04-2005 01:33 AM
throttling on cisco 2600 tony Cisco 1 03-09-2005 03:00 PM
Bandwidth Throttling faels Cisco 2 04-02-2004 02:37 AM
Throttling specific IPs & Ports Aaron Cisco 1 02-05-2004 10:25 PM

Advertisments