Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Possible to launch an existing web browser instance?

Possible to launch an existing web browser instance?

Ethan V

My company has 2 web sites. On site #1 we have a hyperlink to site #2. The
requirement is that if site #2 is already opened in any browser instance,
clicking on the hyperlink to site #2 should not open a new window, but
rather the existing browser instance.

Is this possible at all? Please share with me your thoughts and experience.
Many thanks in advance.

Happy July 4th.

Riki

Ethan V wrote:
> My company has 2 web sites. On site #1 we have a hyperlink to site
> #2. The requirement is that if site #2 is already opened in any
> browser instance, clicking on the hyperlink to site #2 should not
> open a new window, but rather the existing browser instance.
>
> Is this possible at all? Please share with me your thoughts and
> experience. Many thanks in advance.
>
> Happy July 4th.

Apparently, you are addressing American readers only.
No need for me to answer then...

--

Riki

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=F6ran_Andersson?=

Yes and no.

If you set a name on the window, and use that as target in the link, it
will open in that window if the window belongs to the same intance of
the browser.

If the window belongs to a different instance of the browser, you can't
target the window (unless you create a ActiveX component that analyses
the running processes of the client computer).

Using Internet Explorer, if you start a new browser window from the
start menu (or similar) you start a new instance.

Firefox only uses one instance, regardless of how you opened the browser
window.

Ethan V wrote:
> My company has 2 web sites. On site #1 we have a hyperlink to site #2. The
> requirement is that if site #2 is already opened in any browser instance,
> clicking on the hyperlink to site #2 should not open a new window, but
> rather the existing browser instance.
>
> Is this possible at all? Please share with me your thoughts and experience.
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> Happy July 4th.

Bob Lehmann

> Apparently, you are addressing American readers only.
> No need for me to answer then...

Geeze, it's been 200+ years. Stop being such a sore loser.

Bob Lehmann

news:(E-Mail Removed)...