Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Visual Studo 2005/Visual Source Safe 6.0 Weird behavior.

Visual Studo 2005/Visual Source Safe 6.0 Weird behavior.

clintonb

Using Visual Studio 2005, I created a new website: File->New->Web Site
and chose the ASP.Net Web Site template.

Saved it in location c:\Projects\GCSLRMS_DotNet\WS\WebSite1.

It created the solution file:
C:\Documents and Settings\clintb.GCSSOFTWARE\My Documents\Visual Studio
2005\Projects\WebSite1\WebSite1.sln

I didn't want it there. I wanted it the same folder as all the other
files for the website. So following advice I read on the internet, I
clicked the solution in solution explorer and the did File->Save
WebSite1.sln As. I saved the solution file to
c:\Projects\GCSLRMS_DotNet\WS\WebSite1 where all the other files were.

Then I did "Add Solution to Source Control" to add the website to
Visual Source Safe source control. We are using Visual Source Safe
6.0.

Then I deleted c:\Projects\GCSLRMS_DotNet\WS\WebSite1 from my computer.

Then I got latest version from source safe, which recreated
c:\Projects\GCSLRMS_DotNet\WS\WebSite1 on my computer.

Everything is OK so far.

But when I opened up the solution file
c:\Projects\GCSLRMS_DotNet\WS\WebSite1\WebSite1.sl n , it created
another copy of the website1 folder under the website1 folder like so:
c:\Projects\GCSLRMS_DotNet\WS\WebSite1\WebSite1

Why does this happen? Is this a problem with Visual Studio 2005,
Visual Source Safe. 6.0, or me? Note, I don't have any of these
problems when making Windows applications.

Thanks.

clintonb

clintonb wrote:
> Using Visual Studio 2005, I created a new website: File->New->Web Site
> and chose the ASP.Net Web Site template.
>
> Saved it in location c:\Projects\GCSLRMS_DotNet\WS\WebSite1.
>
> It created the solution file:
> C:\Documents and Settings\clintb.GCSSOFTWARE\My Documents\Visual Studio
> 2005\Projects\WebSite1\WebSite1.sln
>
> I didn't want it there. I wanted it the same folder as all the other
> files for the website. So following advice I read on the internet, I
> clicked the solution in solution explorer and the did File->Save
> WebSite1.sln As. I saved the solution file to
> c:\Projects\GCSLRMS_DotNet\WS\WebSite1 where all the other files were.
>
> Then I did "Add Solution to Source Control" to add the website to
> Visual Source Safe source control. We are using Visual Source Safe
> 6.0.
>
> Then I deleted c:\Projects\GCSLRMS_DotNet\WS\WebSite1 from my computer.
>
> Then I got latest version from source safe, which recreated
> c:\Projects\GCSLRMS_DotNet\WS\WebSite1 on my computer.
>
> Everything is OK so far.
>
> But when I opened up the solution file
> c:\Projects\GCSLRMS_DotNet\WS\WebSite1\WebSite1.sl n , it created
> another copy of the website1 folder under the website1 folder like so:
> c:\Projects\GCSLRMS_DotNet\WS\WebSite1\WebSite1
>
> Why does this happen? Is this a problem with Visual Studio 2005,
> Visual Source Safe. 6.0, or me? Note, I don't have any of these
> problems when making Windows applications.
>
> Thanks.

I wanted to mention that I tried installing Visual Source Safe 2005 and
I get the same behavior.

- Clint

clintonb

clintonb wrote:
> Using Visual Studio 2005, I created a new website: File->New->Web Site
> and chose the ASP.Net Web Site template.
>
> Saved it in location c:\Projects\GCSLRMS_DotNet\WS\WebSite1.
>
> It created the solution file:
> C:\Documents and Settings\clintb.GCSSOFTWARE\My Documents\Visual Studio
> 2005\Projects\WebSite1\WebSite1.sln
>
> I didn't want it there. I wanted it the same folder as all the other
> files for the website. So following advice I read on the internet, I
> clicked the solution in solution explorer and the did File->Save
> WebSite1.sln As. I saved the solution file to
> c:\Projects\GCSLRMS_DotNet\WS\WebSite1 where all the other files were.
>
> Then I did "Add Solution to Source Control" to add the website to
> Visual Source Safe source control. We are using Visual Source Safe
> 6.0.
>
> Then I deleted c:\Projects\GCSLRMS_DotNet\WS\WebSite1 from my computer.
>
> Then I got latest version from source safe, which recreated
> c:\Projects\GCSLRMS_DotNet\WS\WebSite1 on my computer.
>
> Everything is OK so far.
>
> But when I opened up the solution file
> c:\Projects\GCSLRMS_DotNet\WS\WebSite1\WebSite1.sl n , it created
> another copy of the website1 folder under the website1 folder like so:
> c:\Projects\GCSLRMS_DotNet\WS\WebSite1\WebSite1
>
> Why does this happen? Is this a problem with Visual Studio 2005,
> Visual Source Safe. 6.0, or me? Note, I don't have any of these
> problems when making Windows applications.
>
> Thanks.

It seems the solution to the problem is to put the solution file in a
folder above the project folder like so:

Top Folder
website1.sln
Project Folder
details.aspx