Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > php5 or asp.net

php5 or asp.net

Jeff

Hey

I'm about to start developing a website. My problem is that I'm not sure if
I should go for php or asp.net. I would prefer asp.net but all I got is the
Visual studio 2003 c# standard, (it's not the full version of visual studio,
it contains c# and asp.net)... I fear that if I set a lot of effort into
using asp.net I will in the end discover more bugs in my visual studio....

I see there are something called visual web developer express which can be
downloaded. I guess it has some limitaion so asp.net pages generated from it
can not be used in a production environment, am I right?

I purchased visual studio 2003 standard about 2 years ago, i bought the
standard version because it was only c# and asp.net I was interested in.

I do not subscribe to MSDN so I don't get the latest bugfixes in the visual
studio.

asp.net has some cool features such as adrotator, I guess something similar
could be done in php5 too, but I don't like to use so much 3.party
tools.....

I have the development environment for both asp.net and php5 set up on my
computer.

What do you recommend (php or asp.net)??

Jeff

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Hi Jeff,

Visual Web Developer Express is free and can be used commercially to create
as many ASP.NET 2.0 Web sites as you want in C# or VB.

I highly recommend it.

Just download your copy here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/vwd/

BTW, don't be surprised that people favour ASP.NET here. <grin>

Ken
Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey
>
> I'm about to start developing a website. My problem is that I'm not sure
> if I should go for php or asp.net. I would prefer asp.net but all I got is
> the Visual studio 2003 c# standard, (it's not the full version of visual
> studio, it contains c# and asp.net)... I fear that if I set a lot of
> effort into using asp.net I will in the end discover more bugs in my
> visual studio....
>
> I see there are something called visual web developer express which can be
> downloaded. I guess it has some limitaion so asp.net pages generated from
> it can not be used in a production environment, am I right?
>
> I purchased visual studio 2003 standard about 2 years ago, i bought the
> standard version because it was only c# and asp.net I was interested in.
>
> I do not subscribe to MSDN so I don't get the latest bugfixes in the
> visual studio.
>
> asp.net has some cool features such as adrotator, I guess something
> similar could be done in php5 too, but I don't like to use so much 3.party
> tools.....
>
> I have the development environment for both asp.net and php5 set up on my
> computer.
>
> What do you recommend (php or asp.net)??
>
> Jeff

Bipin_Expert

Hi Jeff,
I have been developing applications in PHP as well as ASP 3.0
previously. But since ASP.Net have been introduced it's much easier and
faster to develop web-applications and services as compared to any
other available options. As the power of .Net framework which was not
there in ASP, PHP was performing better than it. So in that case I use
to prefer PHP. But since ASP.Net my opinion is also that you should use
ASP.NET

Regards,
Bipin Kesharwani
(Developer)

Palewar Techno Solutions
Pocket PC & Mobile Software Development
Nagpur, India

http://www.palewar.com

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP] wrote:
> Hi Jeff,
>
> Visual Web Developer Express is free and can be used commercially to create
> as many ASP.NET 2.0 Web sites as you want in C# or VB.
>
> I highly recommend it.
>
> Just download your copy here:
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/vwd/
>
> BTW, don't be surprised that people favour ASP.NET here. <grin>
>
> Ken
> Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]
>
> "Jeff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hey
> >
> > I'm about to start developing a website. My problem is that I'm not sure
> > if I should go for php or asp.net. I would prefer asp.net but all I got is
> > the Visual studio 2003 c# standard, (it's not the full version of visual
> > studio, it contains c# and asp.net)... I fear that if I set a lot of
> > effort into using asp.net I will in the end discover more bugs in my
> > visual studio....
> >
> > I see there are something called visual web developer express which can be
> > downloaded. I guess it has some limitaion so asp.net pages generated from
> > it can not be used in a production environment, am I right?
> >
> > I purchased visual studio 2003 standard about 2 years ago, i bought the
> > standard version because it was only c# and asp.net I was interested in.
> >
> > I do not subscribe to MSDN so I don't get the latest bugfixes in the
> > visual studio.
> >
> > asp.net has some cool features such as adrotator, I guess something
> > similar could be done in php5 too, but I don't like to use so much 3.party
> > tools.....
> >
> > I have the development environment for both asp.net and php5 set up on my
> > computer.
> >
> > What do you recommend (php or asp.net)??
> >
> > Jeff

Jon Paal

since you're browsing around... look into cold fusion, it's the easiest of all

"Jeff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey
>
> I'm about to start developing a website. My problem is that I'm not sure if I should go for php or asp.net. I would prefer asp.net
> but all I got is the Visual studio 2003 c# standard, (it's not the full version of visual studio, it contains c# and asp.net)... I
> fear that if I set a lot of effort into using asp.net I will in the end discover more bugs in my visual studio....
>
> I see there are something called visual web developer express which can be downloaded. I guess it has some limitaion so asp.net
> pages generated from it can not be used in a production environment, am I right?
>
> I purchased visual studio 2003 standard about 2 years ago, i bought the standard version because it was only c# and asp.net I was
> interested in.
>
> I do not subscribe to MSDN so I don't get the latest bugfixes in the visual studio.
>
> asp.net has some cool features such as adrotator, I guess something similar could be done in php5 too, but I don't like to use so
> much 3.party tools.....
>
> I have the development environment for both asp.net and php5 set up on my computer.
>
> What do you recommend (php or asp.net)??
>
> Jeff

=?Utf-8?B?V2ViQnVpbGRlcjQ1MQ==?=

and that is to total truth!
--
thanks (as always)
some day i''m gona pay this forum back for all the help i''m getting